IPX-8 Standards? Can't fidnt he specifications on fenix lights

EsthetiX

Enlightened
I'd like to know how deep the l2d will be able to go. IPX-8 Standards doesnt mean anything to me if i don't know what IPX-8 Standards are haha

GBone

Newly Enlightened
I Googled it once...

It had something to do with how they rate how waterproof cameras are, or something like that.

Anyhow, after lots of reading the best I could find out is that IPX-8 is better than IPX-7... I sure am happy to know that!!! HA

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Yah It just sounds like some fancy label they stuck up on their site to make it sound good. For all I know IPX-8 Standards could mean it's dunkable only hahaha

Marduke

Flashaholic
IPX-0
No special protection

IPX-1
Protected against falling water Equivalent to 3-5mm rainfall per minute for a duration of 10 minutes. Unit is placed in its normal operating position.

IPX-2
Protected against falling water when tilted up to 15 degrees - Same as

IPX-1 but unit is tested in 4 fixed positions - tilted 15 degrees in each direction from normal operating position.

IPX-3
Protected against spraying water - Water spraying up to 60 degrees from vertical at 10 liters/min at a pressure of 80-100kN/m2 for 5 min.

IPX-4
Protected against splashing water - Same as IPX-3 but water is sprayed at all angles.

IPX-5
Protected against water jets - Water projected at all angles through a 6.3mm nozzle at a flow rate of 12.5 liters/min at a pressure of 30kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.

IPX-6
Protected against heavy seas - Water projected at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a flow rate of 100 liters/min at a pressure of 100kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.

IPX-7
Protected against water immersion - Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.

IPX-8
Protected against water submersion - The equipment is suitable for continual submersion in water under conditions which are identified by the manufacturer.

Donny Dont

Newly Enlightened
IPX-8
Protected against water submersion - The equipment is suitable for continual submersion in water under conditions which are identified by the manufacturer.

Thanks for the detailed explanation -- I had wondered about that too.

I guess it does mean that it is dunkable!

Joe

EsthetiX

Enlightened

Yah I found that in google too. Still doesnt answer the question though because fenix (the manufacturer) never did identify any conditions lol

CPAY

Newly Enlightened
Yah I found that in google too. Still doesnt answer the question though because fenix (the manufacturer) never did identify any conditions lol

Sure Fenix wouldn't identify any conditions
IPX-8 code makes the flashlight look professional for someone who doesn't
know much about flashlight.

Marduke

Flashaholic
IPX8 has to be greater than IPX7, which means that it has to be at least 1m depth for at least 30 minutes or greater.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
IP stands for Ingress Protection.
The numbers refer to the level of protection.
It gets much more involed, if you want the details buy the EU standard and have a read.
IPX8 is a very high level, much much more than dunkable.

Stromberg

Enlightened
IPX8 is a very high level, much much more than dunkable.

That's correct, IPX8 means that device is waterproof. IPX8 standard can also include additional info about water depth and temperature where the device is promised to be waterproof. And that's why I'm bit sceptic about Fenix IPX8 statement because - although it's not mandatory - there should be some additional depth readings to clarify its level of waterproofness.

Good info about IP standard:

http://www.adaptaflex.com/news-archive.asp?year=2006

Last edited:

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I beleive IPX8 is immersion to 6 feet for 30 mins. I read a detailed description about a month ago and my memory recalls this. I will try to find it and post it tomorrow

Marduke

Flashaholic
I beleive IPX8 is immersion to 6 feet for 30 mins. I read a detailed description about a month ago and my memory recalls this. I will try to find it and post it tomorrow

IPX8 is only defined as "more than IPX7 in any way". That could be greater depth for 30 minutes, or same depth for greater than 30 minutes, or both. The manufacturer should provide specific numbers for a given product if they claim IPX8. I've seen many products claim 1.5m for 30 minutes for IPX8, which is sufficiently greater than IPX7 to claim IPX8 standards.

Enlightened
I don't know if I will get a reply, but I sent an email to Fenix support asking about the exact details of the IPX8 rating. I figure they've got to have it floating around somewhere as long as they didn't just pull it out of their ***. I will let you guys know if I get a reply.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gonna go ahead and being this old post back. Not that I've heard of any issues with Fenix and water but I am curious if there have been any new developments on the actual conditions Fenix has rated their lights for.

DM51

Flashaholic
The IPX8 standard is of little use where flashlights are concerned, unless you are just worried about whether yours will survive being taken out in the rain or dropped in a puddle.

The problem is that it is a static test, not a dynamic one. A light is not required to be operated underwater (or even moved around at all) to pass the test. Waterproofing is most likely to fail during actual operation.

Mercenaries

Newly Enlightened
I left my P3D in a bucket of water for 30 minutes and it fogs inside the lens, but no water leaking. I would assume it's at least greater than IPX-7 (Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter).