Newbe here, just wanted to say hi and tell everyone what brought me here!

k5ride

Newly Enlightened
First, I would like to say hello to everyone and that I think this site is AWSOME!​

I've been reading about all the different types and brands of flashlights for a little while now and figured that I'd join up and post up.​

I must say that I never knew that there were so many high quality flashlights out there. The best that I had known about were SureFire, Streamlight and Maglight. I have always used Maglight, not because I thought it was the best there was, but because it was the best light that I knew of that lasted for over an hour. Still, I always hated how fast the light dimmed, the color of the light, and that DAMNED BLACK HOLE IN THE CENTER OF THE BEAM! You would think after all this time they would have taken a hint from the people that have fixed that problem themselves and add that upgrade to their lights from the factory.:shakehead​

I got to thinking one night after using my Maglight that there MUST be better lights out there than this. I knew about LED lights but the only ones I could find where at the local Walmart and they all sucked more than a 2 dollar whore.;) While performing ye old google search I stumbled across flashlightreviews.com and from there CPF.com​

I have learned SO MUCH about flashlights and batteries from this site! This place is an incredible resource and without it I'd still be in the dark! (Bad pun I know :p)​

After talking to Mike at pts-flashlights.com, I got the L2D 100 over my first choice, which was a T20. I plan on using Sanyo 2700 mah rechargeable batteries after reading the battery shoot out. I'm still at a loss as for which charger would be best so feel free to give me some input.​

My first LED light isn't even here yet but I already want another!:laughing: I guess I've been hanging around here just long enough to catch the bug.​

My next light is going to be a VERY long lasting low output key chain light, which I now realize would have come in handy last night while I was on the river and trying to bait a hook in the dark. LOL!​

One thing I was wondering about though is; I bought one of the last L2D 100 Rebel lights PTS had, and now they are going to be replaced with a L2D Cree Q5. My question is, is the Q5 going to be a LOT better than my Rebel? Should I send mine back (once I get it) and wait for the Q5? I think I'm going to be happy with the Rebel but just wanted a little input.​

Sorry for the "Life Story" post.:laughing: If this doesn't belong here just let me know.​

djblank87

Enlightened
:welcome:...........

As far as the Q5 being brighter and better to a certian extent it will be no question there. A lot of the LED guys in here are already talking about the next diode that will be better than the Q5.

So really it boils down to a matter of your own personal choice. If I were you I would wait till some of the other members post about there Q5's and then do a Q&A with them to see if it would really be worth your time.

Or as I'm sure someone will say in the near future "Buy Both"! :twothumbs

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
hold on to Your wallet or act like my sig, the official CPF statement ;)

in reality, there is no difference to notice between oder Fenix Cree Models, the Rebel ones and the newer Q5s. The Rebel and Q5 are only brighter, because the circuit gives them more power - if run at the same, output differences might be barely to measure, no chance to see them

but of course we all need the brightest light possible
:rolleyes:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:, K5ride!

I hope you enjoy your stay as much as I have. There are some great people hanging around here.

About your question about the Q5 vs the Rebel, I agree with Yellow. IMHO if the lumens increase isn't very significant, you wont notice the difference at all in real life use, without using a measuring instrument. For example, high(80lumens) and turbo(135lumens) on my Fenix L2D CE has a visible difference, but not as much as you would like to think going by numbers alone (55lumens difference). It's noticable, but only if you compare the light directly and is looking for the difference. If someone somehow set my turbo to high-output, I wouldnt have noticed it in real life use. Our eyes works logarithmically, so if there isn't a significant increase in output, we don't notice that much of a difference.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
k5ride,

I doubt that you would tell any difference in brightness between the Rebel and the Q5. I have a Q5 P1D CE and a Rebel 80 in an L1T V2.0. The Rebel in the L1T V2.0 is equal in output and throw. The Q5 P1D CE is brighter on Turbo but that is most likely due to a higher drive level than a difference between the LED. Also, the tint in my Rebel is perfect and the finest that I have seen (and I have seen alot); I don't know if this is indicative of the Rebels across the board or not, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Regarding a long running keychain light: I would ABSOLUTELY recommend the Arc AAA-P w/the new Nichia DS LED. Much has been written about the Arc AAA-P so I will only highlight a few things:
  1. Very small and perfect for keychain carry
  2. Very durable HA III finish which is also perfect for keychain carry
  3. Long running: 5 hours to 50% starting at a minimum of 9 lumens
  4. Waterproof
  5. Simple to use, rock solid and ultra reliable.
I love the Arc AAA-P lights and highly recommend them. I never, ever leave home without it.

Welcome to CPF! Be sure to lock up your wallet and disable your Paypal account.

k5ride

Newly Enlightened
Thank's everyone for the warm welcome! I'll definitely be keeping the L2D when it gets here.

I've never heard of ARC flashlights before, but after checking out their website I must say that they really are nice.

As far as buying more lights goes, this is the plan as of right now:

EDC #1: Fenix L2D 100 (own)
EDC #2: 1 AAA or 1 AA keychain type light

Weapon mounted lights:

AR-15: Gladius with Seoul P4 upgrade.

Springfield XD-45: Haven't got a clue yet, more research needed.

Remington 870 12ga: Gladius with Seoul P4 upgrade.

I am more than welcome to any suggestions any of you might have for better and more appropriate lights for my intended uses.

One2gofst

Newly Enlightened
Welcome. Just curious, why have you decided the Gladius would be your choice for longgun-mounted lights?

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: I'll just echo what others have said. I would hold off on buying the Q5, use and evaluate what you have coming and in the next little while look at what will eventually replace the Q5's. My other recommendation is to look at some single AA or single CR123 lights for EDC. I found 2 AA light too long for true EDC as I usually keep my light in my front pants pocket. Aside from my high end lights I still have an old L1T and I recently got an L1T v2. I prefer this model of Fenix single AA because they are simple two level lights. I don't want any extra modes such as SOS or strobe that I have to cycle through. I prefer to jump from low to high depending on the need at hand.

I don't have an Arc (I have two on order) but it is so well spoken of that I had to get a couple. I think you can't go wrong with one for your keychain. I do have a Fenix E0 on my keys at present and it is pretty good and not too expensive. It's not as well built as the Arc so if you want something that is very robust in the AAA form factor, do what I did and get an Arc.:thumbsup:

k5ride

Newly Enlightened
Welcome. Just curious, why have you decided the Gladius would be your choice for longgun-mounted lights?

It seems like the best mix of runtime/brightness in a weapon light. If you have anything else that you think I should look into please let me know. I really would like all of my weapon lights to last for a least 2 hours but 3 or 4 would be really nice, if that's possible.

da.gee

Enlightened
You will like the L2D Rebel 100. It was one of my first lights after I got the bug and it is a very good all around light. Its utility and form factor are extremely convenient.

Last edited:

leprechaun414

Enlightened
:welcome:

You will luv the L2D RB100 When you get it. I think everyone will tell you that there is not much difference between the Q5. Not enough to send it back. You will be impressed when you get it and be happy it takes common AA batteries.

Be prepared spend some good money on some new lights if you hang around this site. Of course its money well spent:naughty:

Beamshot

Newly Enlightened
Have you ever looked at the Photon Freedom? I love it for keychain carry.

Patriot

Flashaholic
welcome to CPF k5ride ! :grin2:

You picked a great light. The Q5 will be a tiny bit better but who cares...enjoy that the light that you purchased :)

As you have probably found out, LED bins advance so quickly that you'll rarely have the best of anything but for a month or two. For me the quality of the light is more important than the very latest LED. Some of my favorite lights are ones that I purchased many years ago.

Have fun and enjoy your time here :)

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlightreviews.com brought me here too. Thanks Doug (Quickbeam) for an excellent, informative site. If it weren't for Doug, I would not have my Fenix P1D-CE, Mag 2D ROP, Mag 6D ROP. And then there are my intended purchases... P1D-CE Q5, L1T V2.0, P1-CE(R), Surefire A2 Aviator........

k5ride

Newly Enlightened
Well, I got my L2D yesterday and I love it! It is by far the highest quality flashlight I've ever owned. It really blows a Maglight out of the water with ease. Needless to say I won't be sending it back for a Q5. :D