SF L4 Q...

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
I have my L4 for few years now. Is it possiable that its beam isn't as it was?

I think its not as bright as it was.... the problem i don't have near me anyone who have L4 to compare. I put it vs U2, the U2 is much brighter, both with new celles.

Thanks

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it is possible! LuxV has a much smaller lifespan then other high power LED. There has been many reports of dimmed L4 over time. You have used it for approximately how many hours? The LuxV spec says 500h down to 70%. With heat, this can be less. I think I heard about L4 much dimmed after around 300 hours.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd guess that if it's a defect, they'll cover it..

If you've used it, though, why not just get a new one??

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
i have only run through it around 25-30 sets of bat. Its annoying i have expected more from SF

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yes, ask Surefire to look at is for you. I've had an L4 dim over time until it finally flickered and died. Surefire replaced it for me. I'm not saying that yours is going to die too but I have seen them dim with use and Surefire will do what the can.

bouncer

Enlightened
It sounds as if the led had a premature failure possibly from heat if you use it for a long period of time or possibly some heatsink issues or even a driver problem. Call surefire get an RA and return it they will check it and if it is defective they will replace it unlikely for them to repair on a side note I need to take a trip to California to do some dumpster diving for parts ;)

Illum

Flashaholic
at 1.5 hour runtime per battery set thats going to be over 330 sets of cells...I highly doubt any of us can attain "500 hours" on the LED with regular use