Novatac 85P already outdated.

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
I have been really looking at getting a more pocket friendly, or Holster carry EDC light. I really like the form factor of the Novatac but the price for the 120P is pretty steep. Now, the 85P is more in my budget but seems that an 85 lumen light by today's standard is old technology considering all that is currently being offered by other manufactures. When I look at the tracking thread for the Novatacs I see that 74% are 120's and like 9% are 85's seems to say a lot about how everyone else feels about the 85's. I currently carry a Surefire E2e as an EDC so I'm kind of use to low power lights just wondering if 85 out the front from the Novatac is going to be that big an improvement.
I have heard that HDC is coming out with a couple of new products that are suppose to be pretty good but along with that so is the price.

Supernam

Enlightened
How is output related to outdatedness? There are plenty of new lights that are made with low output, but by are no means outdated just like the 85P. Do you think the Cree SF L1 and E1L/E2l is outdated? I think efficiency and user interface is a greater indication of how advanced a light is. What other light do you know with an interface as the 85P? Who else uses a switch that is both momentary and constant on without being the typical mechanical clicky? IMO, I think the Novatac is cutting edge technology. The 85 model line specifically is tuned to ~85 lumen. In other words, Novatac CHOSE to make it have that output. The technology is exactly the same as the 120 models. The purpose of making the 85 line is to sell to people exactly as yourself who don't want to spend $150 for their product, and are only willing to shell out for the 85. Obviously they are not going to make a lower priced product have the same output as the more expensive product, hence the distinction between the 85 and 120 lumen outputs. Look at it this way... the 85p is exactly the same as the 120p in terms of reliability, build quality, and technology, however it lacks the option of programing it to the 120 lumen output. What if there was a Novatac 200P? Would you consider that light to be far superior to the 120P? What if it was exactly the same as the 85P but the current was set to 1A? That would be great, but you'd only get like 10 minutes runtime.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy texbaz,
That's a fair question. I have the 120P, and have found that I use the 60 lumen setting most for a general purpose light, out walking etc.

I didn't know anything about night adapted vision before coming to CPF, and like most folks, I thought the only feature that was important on a flashlight was for it to be as bright as possible, for as long as possible.

Then I discovered multiple level lights, and discovered that some times having less light is actually better than having more light, like when working close up, reading a map, trying to navigate an area without disturbing others etc.

Then I found out about the differences that a good UI (user interface) can make, and that everybody likes theirs a little different. Some folks want the low to come on first, some want the high to come on first, some want the medium to come on first.

Then of course is the almost constant complaint that the low level is never low enough, or that the medium level is set to close to the top level and doesn't provide enough variety, or....... well....... you get the idea.

The thing the NovaTac does better than any other light I know of is that it allows you to customize the UI however you want, and set the 4 independent light levels to whatever brightness you want. Have it come on in low all the time, or high, or medium..... or have it remember the last setting you used. The choice is yours.... and you can change your mind any time you like. It only takes a few clicks to completely re-configure the light.

It even has a built in timer, so you can turn the light on, and it will go off automatically after 5 minutes. Wow!

So...... it's not the brightest CR123 light available.... but the beam is gorgeous, it's quite rugged, and for a pocket light, it's amazingly versatile.

I guess it comes down to what you want. BTW, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Henry has to offer us with his latest creation.... which I've read will be available soon (possibly in the next month or so). Happy hunting!

kurni

Enlightened
Howdy texbaz,
Then I found out about the differences that a good UI (user interface) can make, and that everybody likes theirs a little different.

So...... it's not the brightest CR123 light available.... but the beam is gorgeous, it's quite rugged, and for a pocket light, it's amazingly versatile.

I am guessing that Novatac has one of the best UI and not just "quite rugged", I don't know if there is anything that is more rugged. I saw a picture of battered Novatac (HDS) that were still working; I heard that people threw it against the wall / floor as part of a challenge.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
I agree completely with Supernam. Just because it's 85 lumens instead of 120 lumens doesn't mean it's outdated! It's a well-built, rugged, dependable light with an amazing U.I. :thumbsup:

Gatsby

Enlightened
I guess I'm really in the stone ages then since I'm still quite happy with my HDS B42XRGT! :eek: :naughty:

In fact, I've been resisting upgrading it to a P4 because I like the low low level it has and use it a lot. I did the 250 clicks thing to set it to remember my last level, and that is the only modification I've made and FWIW the stock levels have proven quite useful. There are brighter lights out there (I have a LF5 that on a 14500 at max brightness is likely brighter than 42 lumens) but for 90% of what I do the 4 levels on the HDS are more than sufficient. I rarely use the maximum level as it is, and when I do it still reaches the back of my back yard so I can figure out what the dogs are doing. I'll likely put a P4 in it at some point just because that is a relatively inexpensive way to close to double my output and preserve my runtime, but it isn't a slam dunk! (The fact that the quality of the beam I have is so nice may have something to do with it as well - it is such a nice pure white... Henry really did mean GT).

As for levels, I'm thinking of starting another thread but 4 is really more than I truly need - I could live with low, primary and max...

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
Derek Dean,
I think your info brought me into the light, I like the way you explained it. And tebore has a good point also.

Kurni, good observation about ruggedness dropping a light on a carpet of grass versus non-skid(40grit)concrete hangar floor is all together different.

So, 85 lumens isn't really outdated as a whole but to me when I see what the LED emitter manufactures are offering and what Novatac offers
I wonder why they took that route. Maybe functionality over performance for the 85 and for the true performance orientated user the 120

I placed an order With John, at LightHound for a 85P along with an AW holster and AW RCR123 batteries. As an EDC this light will be called upon regularly at work (aviation tech) and recreation and general use around the compound (house).