The ‘Tort tax’ and the TPJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyBill

Banned
The popular watchdog, the 'texans for public justice' (TPJ), has been instrumental in mobilizing the numerous think tanks in Texas to effect a significant change in the judiciary and the functioning of the government in Texas.
The tort law, which was introduced with good intentions, came to be widely misused in Texas. The loopholes in this law allowed some plaintiffs to harass their opponents to any extent. The tort law system was used by some lawyers to impose punitive damages to the extent of billions of dollars, which were beyond the means of the people and some businesses to pay up.
The tort law allowed lawsuits of the strangest type to be filed in courts in the U.S. The lawsuit filed against McDonald's by some overweight people accusing McDonald's for making them overweight is a glaring example. It resembled as if McDonald's has forced these people to eat its fast food products and thus had made them overweight.
American businesses live under the Damocles sword of such strange vexatious lawsuits, which has resulted in the sad demise of many flourishing businesses in several parts of the country. The punitive damages awarded in some cases were simply ridiculous in that several billions of dollars in damages were imposed on companies whose net worth didn't even cross a few millions.
The one known watchdog called 'texans for public justice', rightly challenged the mess created by the tort tax system in Texas. Through mobilizing the numerous voluntary organizations and other agencies in Texas, the TPJ could bring about a welcome change in the situation in Texas. The novel efforts of the TPJ, which ensured a fair deal to all concerned has been replicated in almost all the U.S states. :candle:

havand

Enlightened
The popular watchdog, the 'texans for public justice' (TPJ), has been instrumental in mobilizing the numerous think tanks in Texas to effect a significant change in the judiciary and the functioning of the government in Texas.
The tort law, which was introduced with good intentions, came to be widely misused in Texas. The loopholes in this law allowed some plaintiffs to harass their opponents to any extent. The tort law system was used by some lawyers to impose punitive damages to the extent of billions of dollars, which were beyond the means of the people and some businesses to pay up.
The tort law allowed lawsuits of the strangest type to be filed in courts in the U.S. The lawsuit filed against McDonald's by some overweight people accusing McDonald's for making them overweight is a glaring example. It resembled as if McDonald's has forced these people to eat its fast food products and thus had made them overweight.
American businesses live under the Damocles sword of such strange vexatious lawsuits, which has resulted in the sad demise of many flourishing businesses in several parts of the country. The punitive damages awarded in some cases were simply ridiculous in that several billions of dollars in damages were imposed on companies whose net worth didn't even cross a few millions.
The one known watchdog called 'texans for public justice', rightly challenged the mess created by the tort tax system in Texas. Through mobilizing the numerous voluntary organizations and other agencies in Texas, the TPJ could bring about a welcome change in the situation in Texas. The novel efforts of the TPJ, which ensured a fair deal to all concerned has been replicated in almost all the U.S states. :candle:

I personally don't consider this misuse of the the law as 'bad laws.' I squarely blame the court system, judges and jurors for allowing this crap to continue. Why on earth these ridiculous cases don't immediately get thrown out and a huge fines levied against the person wasting peoples' time is beyond me. Glad to hear Texas is doing something about it, even if I feel they're approaching it from the wrong end. Just for example, as much as I dislike Apple (admittedly), I think the woman suing them for $1 million because of the iPhone price drop should be jailed.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
This seems like political spam.

If you check the link, you'll see it's to a group opposing the TPJ (the TPJ is a sham organization that does not support tort reform).

Anyway, it's a "dirty trick" political post. I don't think it belongs on CPF.

havand

Enlightened
This seems like political spam.

If you check the link, you'll see it's to a group opposing the TPJ (the TPJ is a sham organization that does not support tort reform).

Anyway, it's a "dirty trick" political post. I don't think it belongs on CPF.

Whoops. You're right. Shoulda payed more attention to poster. Sorry, although I meant what I said :)

Empath

Flashaholic
It's a different sort of spammer, but it's spamming nonetheless. No interest in flashlights, and the only interest shown is spamming for politics. We're even extremely limited in political discussion among our own honorable members. There's no reason to demonstrate any honor or tolerance to spammers of any type. Thread closed and spammer banned. :banned:

Status
Not open for further replies.