Damage to L0D

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
A heads up. Last night I received a LNIB black L0D from another CPF'er. When trying to remove the split ring he'd installed, the metal broke leaving me another slot instead of a hole.

I wasn't using split ring pliers, but also wan't using a lot of force.

No big deal, I can clean up the wound and drill a new hole. Just wanted to post a warning.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would this be considered defective machining in that region? That's really strange to just snap open from the pressure of a split ring.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be, but for a not too expensive using light, it'll be easliy repaired and not harm the functionality. Not worth the time and effort to persue replacement. Now if it were a $500 light......

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since it's just the battery tube, it might be a cheap replacement. You should contact David.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just had a look at my P1D-CE that takes an absolute battering on my keychain. The point at which the split ring attaches has worn slightly. It is maybe only 4/5ths the thickness it used to be. I wouldn't have noticed until I bought a new P1D-CE Q5 to compare. The Q5 enjoys the luxury of a holster.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really surprised at how soft the alloy is for the body tube.

I cleaned up the break with a dollar store emery (fingernail) board (one of the best cheap tools around) and drilled a new hole.

I "invented" an interesting holder for the tube while I drilled a new hole. Obviously, couldn't clamp it in a vise without deforming the tube. I placed the tube in the center of a strip of shop rag, making a "sling". Then pulled the ends of the sling down thru the slightly open vise jaws, letting the tube rest on top of the vise. Tightening the vise tightened the rag sling, holding the tube firm and snug, at least enough to gently drill a new hole. Started the hole with a punch from a sharp nail and finished with bit. Very little speed and pressure needed for the drill.

Fenix Store replied that they no longer carried the body tube.

I'm going to paint the top, smooth, part of the tube yellow or red for visibility. May start a trend.

m1ruf

Newly Enlightened
the area around the splitring-hole on my natural L0D-CE started to get "bald" a soon as I put the splitring in. In order to prevent further abrasion of the HA III coating around the splitring hole I use a short (ca. 1/2 inch long) piece of thin nylon cord instead of the ring. I knotted this short length of cord and put a short paracord lanyard on it, so I can secure the L0D on my wrist when the danger of loosing it if I drop it is given (e.g. looking down dark a dark well in a medieval castle to see how deep it is)
I find this setup works equally well, or even better than with the splitring because its more flexible.
I carry the L0D in a small leather pouch along with a spare AAA battery in the right my front pocket of my pants.
Initially I intended to put it on my keychain, but after I saw what the splitring had done to the coating so quickly I couldn't bring myself to expose the light to the sharp keys (after all its steel against Aluminum and even so its suppousedly HA III coated I don't think it would survive this key-torture for long),

hey Bigiron I just saw we both posted at exactly the sime time: "CONGRATULATIONS!" *g*:twothumbs

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good idea, m1ruf. Kevlar fishing line might work, but it's so strong, it might abrade the alloy faster than a ring. Think I'll try it.

Hey, it might be worth dropping one down a castle well just to tell the story.

m1ruf

Newly Enlightened
Good idea, m1ruf. Kevlar fishing line might work, but it's so strong, it might abrade the alloy faster than a ring. Think I'll try it.

I also thought of fishing line at first (regular one though. (wasn't even aware that a kevlar one exists)). What held me back was the thought that the knot of such line might become loose over time. More important is that it indeed might cut into the alloy over time ("constant dripping wears the stone"),or at least damage the coating (shouldn't quality, thick HA III coating survive even cutting attempts by a knife?:confused:).
Maybe I didn't clearly express what kind of cord I used. I don't know the exact english term but its of the sort you use for flying stunt kites)

As for dropping it down a well:oops:, well it'd sure be fun to see how deep it really is , but even if the light survives the drop (probably depends on whether there is water at the bottom or not) it might be impossible to retrieve it.:mecry:

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Bigiron, PM me your addy and I'll send you a nifty attachment thingy-ma-jig that works in those tiny holes.

m1ruf

Newly Enlightened
Bigiron, PM me your addy and I'll send you a nifty attachment thingy-ma-jig that works in those tiny holes.

what kind of thingy would that be? I'm happy with my cord as for its functionality, but to have something with better looks would be nice.

:)

nmanchin

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the clamping technique. i imagine that i'll have holes drilled completely around the top because i do keep it on my keys and don't intend on stopping... just soft alloy. simple as that.

greenLED

Flashaholic
what kind of thingy would that be? I'm happy with my cord as for its functionality, but to have something with better looks would be nice.

:)
I couldn't remember the name (still don't), but it looks like this:

celllariatsmpk3.jpg

You can take that split ring off and resize the nylon loop to your needs. The core is made of fishing line, and it's got a sheat of finely braided nylon.

gunga

Flashaholic

celllariatsmpk3.jpg

You can take that split ring off and resize the nylon loop to your needs. The core is made of fishing line, and it's got a sheat of finely braided nylon.

Cool GreenLED. Do you know where I can find a few of these?

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn! The thickness between the hole and the other side of the Arc AAA is about the half of the L0D, and it is much stronger! I think it has been tested up to 50lbs without failure...

darmawaa

Newly Enlightened
Can I use 3.6V Rechargeable Lithium in L0D Rebel? Will it run in low current mode or only in direct drive.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have no worries about premature wear on an ARC AAA. That's why a lot of us value them (and the CMG Infinitys) so much.

If a Fenix was built to ARC standards, what would the cost be?

edit - I'm not beating up on the Fenix product. I own several and will probably own more. They're great lights for the money.

edit - I use 3.6 in an E0D ce. It's become my primary pocket light. No problems at all. All modes work. Amazing amount of light for the size.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Gunga, check out your local cell phone joint; they should have them there. If you can't find them, shoot me a PM and I'll send you some. I only ask that you do something nice for somebody else in return.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

celllariatsmpk3.jpg
I found what looks like the exact same thing at Wal-Mart in the Arts & Crafts section. Came like with 6 or 8 in a package.

Edit: Oh, just noticed Gunga, do you have Wal-Mart's in Canada? :confused:

Last edited: