My idea for a lightweight hiking light: your feedback?

El_Canyon

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF folks. I've been out of the flashlight technology loop since I got my Surefire A2 a year ago. I've been reading like mad here on CPF to catch up but I'd like to describe a flashlight need and see if there are better options than what I've come up with.

Application: hiking/backpacking. Need to be able to work hands-free while setting up camp, cooking, etc. at a "low" light level. Need to be able to hike rough trails (either head-mounted or hand carried for better contrast) at a "medium" light level. Need to have a "high/super" light level for occasional, short duration long-throw situations like a tough navigation turn at night. Good balance between spot & flood beam.

Requirements: regulated LED output, AA powered, works with Energizer lithium AA, water "proof" enough to use in a pouring rainstorm without worries, lightweight, compact size, high quality build, reputable maker w/ good customer service.

What I've come up with is to get a Fenix L1D CE which uses the Cree 7090 XR-E and pair it up with a JakStrap headband. The output numbers for the single AA lights are good enough that I will trade having a more compact light for toting a spare AA cell. The light must use AA because I want battery commonality with my GPS.

The only concerns I have with this setup are 1) I've never handled a Fenix so I don't know its balance between spot/flood for use on the trails and 2) I'm not sure how water resistant it really is. I also don't know how the Cree emitters compare to the Luxeon Rebels.

Thanks for your help!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
If you know Surefire, know that Fenix is great for bringing in new tech faster than anyone. If you need the newest best LED right now they've got it. I have 1 Fenix and I'm planning to get more, but they're not my go-to SHTF light, or my woods at night primary. Currently nobody comes very close to SF in toughness. Stick with the quality you know and get a E2L! Strength and crazy long runtime!!!!!!
However since you must have AA, go for the Fenix L1T V2.0 for 1 cell L2T V2.0 for 2 cell but remember most bright led flashlights can overheat in a headband. Especially a Fenix on turbo.

Last edited:

El_Canyon

Newly Enlightened
Sarge, aren't the Fenix T-series switches momentary only? That's what I gleaned from the Fenix Store website. Any opinions about the diffs between Cree and the Rebel LED?

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw a Zebralight for the first time this weekend at PF9 at Milky's place. It is a single AA very tiny headlamp that has three light levels, the brightest being very bright. It has a wide elastic strap and a holder for the light of silicone rubber. Very comfortable. Since it is so small you could also carry another small light like a L1D or a P1 and still be carrying less weight than a single medium sized light would be. It has a very floody beam so don't expect to see far away things with it.

I expect this light will be a BIG hit with ultra-lite backpackers.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sarge, aren't the Fenix T-series switches momentary only? That's what I gleaned from the Fenix Store website. Any opinions about the diffs between Cree and the Rebel LED?

The new L*T v2 come with a tactical tailcap that has a momentary but also fully clicks on but cannot tailstand. They also come with a regual reverse clickie that can tailstand.
I the ZebraLight is a great floody light with three levels...no throw though. I found it great around camp but I have not tried it on any trails. I think a ZebraLight and an L1T v2 would be a good combo if you want AA batteries.

bouncer

Enlightened
someone already sold a used zebralight in the marketplace and i'm thinking a new one could be my first headlamp and the zebralight will take lith ion I've already emailed them to ask?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I'd take the L*T V2.0 in a cree if it were offered. I love dirt simple UI's! I think the cree throws better, and the OP reflector makes a nice beam. It's a great EDC combo, for me the cree's slightly x-tra heat output don't matter much since my ECD's are usually not run very long at a stretch anyway. Right now I have to take it in the rebel offered...... Unless I Mod it! Probably won't though. Unless you count putting the head on a P2d body and swapping out the switch guts! I like the idea of running either battery type I happen to have and the tactical clicky.:thumbsup:

scottaw

Enlightened
Zebra light might be cool, haven't used one myself..yet. But it sounds like you're looking for the princeton tec Apex...you'll love it, i promise.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebra light might be cool, haven't used one myself..yet. But it sounds like you're looking for the princeton tec Apex...you'll love it, i promise.
The Apex is a great, fairly versitile headlight. I don't know if it qualifies as lightweight though. I guess that depends if you are comparing it to a 3D mag.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Petzl Tikka+ headlamp for all the mentioned purposes except the occasional long-distance look across the meadow or lake at night. For that I carry a D-Mini, which has a lot of throw and is very small and light weight, and a P1D CE as a spare battery holder and backup light.

c_c

holeymoley

Newly Enlightened
I just modded a Black Diamond Zenix IQ Headlamp that I got from one of the outdoor outfitters. Total cost: $26

It came with a Luxeon star and I put in a U-bin Seoul Star that I got from DX. It took about 4 minutes to disassemble the light and remove the old LED and solder the new one in there. I estimate that the projecting light is twice as bright now. :eek:oo: There are still small 5mm LEDs on the sides for 'Low mode'.

This was my first mod and it was so easy that I plan to grab a few more cheap headlamps and mod them in a similar manner. It fits all of your requirements but the lamp I have takes AAA... but I' have seen ones with AA. It is not as bright as a Fenix, but it is plenty bright enough for night hiking.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to see a Pentagon Molle light with a better LED, 3 lvls of brightness, of which one is a really really really low.

paulr

Flashaholic
The Zebralight is great. It's a pure flood that lights your immediate surroundings with beautiful evenness. It has no throw to speak of. Use a separate handheld light for that.