EDC - How many levels do you prefer?

How many brightness levels is optimal for your EDC light?

• One - single stage is reliable

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • Two - I only need a low and a high

Votes: 58 40.3%
  • Three - have to have a middle level

Votes: 51 35.4%
  • Four or more - including infinitely variable

Votes: 23 16.0%

• Total voters

Gatsby

Enlightened
The volume of multi level lights and their popularity has had me thinking about how many levels is the preferred number by most users. Let's leave additional modes (SOS, strobe, beacon, wash the dishes and walk the dog :D) out of the picture - and only reply to brightness levels. Personally, I've settled on three - I've used more and less and found that 3 covers most of the bases I have for EDC - a really low low, a decent sort of medium high and a maximum output. For your EDC light how many levels do you find to be optimal?

Last edited:

soffiler

Enlightened
I agree with three. Low, battery-conserving low; medium-high, and a turbo right below the edge of cooking the LED. Personally (and I know this is a subject for much debate) I'd like the low setting to come on first. I find that most of the time, I just need "some" light and low would do the trick, but it's quickest and easiest to use the intial setting (um, my EDC is a P1D-CE) so most of the time I am using more light and more battery than I really need.

Another subject for debate is how many lumens each of those three settings will be. That's where advanced interfaces like HDS/Novatac come from - programmable, to each his own. Shameless plug: our new FlashFlood (just hitting production now) is infinitely adjustable from about 6 lumens out-the-front on low, up to about 85 on high, as another means of giving to each his own.

clintb

Enlightened
I'm really liking the four programmable levels of my 120p. I have it set to come on in the lowest setting, then primary and secondary are only a double click away. Maximum is there if needed, but won't be in rotation unless I specifically choose to use it...great since it's pretty darned bright.

ja10

Enlightened
The brighter the LEDs, the more important it is to have several levels. I was using my modded L1 last night, and the 1-2 lumen low was not quite enough, but the 120+ lumen high was too much. I prefer two levels over a complicated interface though. I really don't like having to push the button and cycle through modes though.

I think a U2 style interface with infinite stops would be perfect.

maxilux

Enlightened
I would like 2 levels or why there is no light with infinitely, and no levels, that would be great. Hey Fenix read this !!

Last edited:

Windscale

Enlightened
This question is about EDC. I want to keep mine simple. Of course, I would have other lights with High. Low and Strobe.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't satisfy everyone until there's a fully programmable light. Strobe, SOS, Beacon, all the works. Frequency and brightness options included for all settings. Would probably takes 2 hours of clicking to set everything. Better have a fresh battery.

In the meantime, a small fraction of a lumen for low-low, medium and turbo.

bouncer

Enlightened
No more than two and maybe strobe I currently carry different lights for different levels. I don't have any trouble edc two or three lights.

Carpenter

Enlightened
For what I need an EDC for, one level is enough. It just has to be bright enough for close-up work without the light reflecting back at me, blinding me. If I need more or less light, I have something brighter or dimmer close by (my A2), and my hot wires if I really need bright. :devil:

DanielG

Enlightened
I've thought that on/off was plenty until I started getting into these silly bright lights.

Now I'm of the opinion that a 10-20 lumen level, an 80-100 lumens and full bright is what I would really like.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ideally, with todays uberbright LEDs, I would prefer 3. One low-low, one medium, and one bright-as-it-gets-almost-cooking-the-led.

But for me, it's not really the question about how many levels there are but how the UI works. I don't care how many levels a light has as long as there is a dedicated button for turning the light ON and OFF. That means no multitapping or klicking.
Going by how manufacturers produce their lights, I would have to go with two levels. Cause more levels than that seems to mean that it requires multiclicking, or very advanced expencive solutions.

So 2levels here.

ja10

Enlightened
Anything more than one is a nuisance.

Do you think the L1/L2/A2 two stage tail cap is a nuisance? You just press or twist for low, and then a little more for high. It might add a fraction of an inch in length and it certainly adds cost, but do you consider those lights a "nuisance".

Now, the GloToob on the other hand ... I couldn't agree more :)

bwm

Newly Enlightened
I find I use three light levels. A low-low for use at night in the house. A medium at roughly 10 lumens. And high - when I need high it is usually for only a minute or two at a time. Low -> medium -> high is the preferred order of light levels.

Brian

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also important is how far apart you want your levels. The 3 level 1AA lights from DX and Kai have levels too close together (~ 100%:70%:40%) to be meaningful. I would like the levels to be at least factor 3:1 apart and logarithmic (or exponential, depending on your math) up and down.

By the way, if you had such a light with only 11 steps, it would cover a range of 100,000 to one. About the range from 1 lux to full sunlight.

Calina

Enlightened
The more powerful our lights get, the more levels will be required.

That being said, it is all in the U.I.
Any level should be accessible in no more than three clicks. Of course the ideal one would have instant access to the level of your choice.

Last edited: