Best host for a P-60 CREE Drop-in

democopy

Newly Enlightened
Considering a light to take advantage of all the LED drop-ins that are becoming available. I am aware of the Surefire G2, heat may be a problem and lens melting. The 6P LED or Defender would work. Dereelight Cl1H v3 looks interesting.

What other hosts would one consider.

DX 3W Cree, Regulator, Reflector 1x18650 2xCR123A Module Set

DX 3W Cree

Ebay

CREE LED P4

Malkoff

Lighthound

Wolf Eyes D26 Cree P4 LED 3.7-6V High Output 170 Lumen

Cree Q5 Drop-In Module "Super Premium"

Runtimes G2L
Runtimes DX
Drop-in

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
CL1H v3 is supposed to have improved heat syncing, but pretty much any metal bodied flashlight should work. I don't know if the G2 lens would melt, maybe, but I think damage to the LED module is the larger concern.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
CL1H v3 is supposed to have improved heat syncing, but pretty much any metal bodied flashlight should work. I don't know if the G2 lens would melt, maybe, but I think damage to the LED module is the larger concern.

The bug-out mudule is listed as being made for the g2 and comes with a really good warranty. That makes me think that they have done their homework on the modules that they sell.

bspofford

Enlightened
You can't beat the DereeLight CL1H as a P60 host. BTW, their P60 modules are great and reasonably priced too.

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I have Cree drop-ins in a number of lights. I think my favorite has to be a hard-anodized Surefire C2 with a Z48 clicky switch.

The C2 has a good glass window for excellent light transmission, extremely sturdy construction, durable finish, metal for heat conduction, and is still small enough to be handy to use or slip in a pocket. The Z48 switch allows easy mode changes for use with multi-mode drop-ins, and the activating button is sufficiently recessed that accidental activation is very unlikely. I don't have to lock out the switch when it's in my pocket.

The only downside is that the rubber grip ring makes it difficult to find a holster that fits properly. But the ring can be removed, if desired, by rolling it towards the base of the body until the ring comes off.

democopy

Newly Enlightened
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspofford
It seems to me, that a consumer can protect his $100 or more investment in a beautiful HAIII body by buying one that can be upgraded for between a quarter and a third the cost of a new light. Moreover, you can have a multipurpose 18650 light with a floody P4 beam one minute then convert it to a Q2 thrower the next. This "open architecture" is definitely the wave of the future.

Dereelight definitely is a contender!

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking at the Surefire C2 as a host for a P60 drop-in, but I have two questions about it first.

1) How hard is it to get this to fit a protected 18650 cell, specifically, AW 18650? This would be a deal-breaker for me, because primary 123A are too expensive and bad for the environment, and RCR123As lack capacity. Has anyone used AW 18650s in this light?

2) Is it the case that this light is "plug-and-play" with a P60 module, as long as the voltage requirements are met, i.e., 3.7v okay from 18650?

I've never thought of doing this before, and the "upgrade-itis" of buying a new flashlight all the time is killing my wallet. I think this would make a very nice host, but not unless I know the facts. ;)

LEDAdd1ct

mfrey

Enlightened
Go with a SF C3 with two AW protected 17500s. That will give you 8.4 max volts and 2200 mAh of capacity. That will satisfy the buck converter used on many of these drop-ins but not exceed the max voltage of 9V. That gives you the option, too, of running three primaries if you decide you want more runtime.

pbs357

Enlightened
G2's are good because they're lighter, cheaper and non-conductive when it comes to electrical environments. Also, when it's freezing outside and you have no gloves, you'd rather have your G2 over an ice cold 6p any day! BUT - since it's not a metal body, it doesn't transmit heat away from the LED module as well, which can lead to damage to the module if run for too long.

turan8

Newly Enlightened
What the consensus to the best P60 Module? The Malkoff or the CREE Q5 Bugout drop in?

jbviau

Enlightened
Keep in mind that Bugout's new drop-in isn't even shipping yet, so no one knows how good it is...

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I intend to purchase a Dereelight to use with the Q2 P60 that Dereelight provides. Unfortunately, I will not be upgrading to the Q5 because runtime will suffer. Perhaps the "R" bin will have a lower voltage, and the runtime plot (intensity vs. time) will once again be favorable. Time will tell.

LEDAdd1ct

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I intend to purchase a Dereelight to use with the Q2 P60 that Dereelight provides. Unfortunately, I will not be upgrading to the Q5 because runtime will suffer. Perhaps the "R" bin will have a lower voltage, and the runtime plot (intensity vs. time) will once again be favorable. Time will tell.

LEDAdd1ct

I'v had the 2, 3, and 5 mode Deree modules and if you are going to invest,
get the 3-mode.
The 3-mode runtime plot is flat and Q4 WC tint is a winner/brighter.
*note: 18650 runtime graph only, the Lux for the CL1H would be less.

dbs_RT_3M.gif

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
orbital, how complicated is it to switch modes? I don't like having to go through things to get the mode I want. 99% of the time, I just want high. Could you provide a little more insight into the nature of the switching mechanism?

:)

LEDAdd1ct

democopy

Newly Enlightened
I'v had the 2, 3, and 5 mode Deree modules and if you are going to invest,
get the 3-mode.
The 3-mode runtime plot is flat and Q4 WC tint is a winner/brighter.
*note: 18650 runtime graph only, the Lux for the CL1H would be less.
Orbital, how is the fit, finish and mechanics of your Dereelight? Read elsewhere not so good?