Fenix Programmable Series of Flashlights? :D

Fenix Programmable Series of Flashlights?

• Yup, Count me in

Votes: 89 70.6%
  • NO...

Votes: 22 17.5%
  • I don't Care....

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • What's Fenix?

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other Lights do the job better....

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • What's Programmable Flashlight?

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters

Steve Curtis

Newly Enlightened
my perfect edc would be the L2D 100 with a variable twist head from 0-100 , a bit like the power knob on back of the v3.
or if they have 3-4 head selectable power settings on the head with the clicky to activate.
no point in SOS and the strobe wouldnt be missed either unless it could make people puke:green: :sick2::barf::eeew:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Upgrade the Civictor V1 with a Cree and an OP reflector, period. Keep the price the same as before or less.

Upgrade the Civictor V1 more with twisty multi-levels, HA, AR, etc. to make an AA based LOD-CE. Minimize the price increase (LOD-CE price plus $2)

Probably not worth it to Fenix, but for geeks: Build a 18650 based LOD-CE type light, as small as possible to fit a protected 18650. Allow it to also run on 2xCR123/RCR123. Thread the head so it will also fit the P3D body with clicky if possible (may not be).

More not worth it to Fenix, but fun for geeks: build a L2D-CE in 2xC size. Use wider diameter reflector to create a brighter hot spot. Design it to run flat with alkies like the E1.

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
One part of my would think that sounds great, the more lights the merrier, right? And programmable is cool
The other part of me, and the part that wins, says no, no programmable Fenix. I'm starting to miss simpler times, when a light went off and on, and maybe had just two levels. Nowadays they cram in as many pointless functions as possible, levels that you probably dont need, and suddenly your light might sends out morsecode if you use it the wrong way. And did I mention they up the price for functions I dont want.
Obviously, one thing doesnt exclude the other, but I would rather want that Fenix went back to basics and cut the prices first (cause there are better alternatives qualitywise out there nowadays) before making more lights with even more bells and whistles.

kurni

Enlightened
I prefer better build for the current circuit; the build that's stronger than the keys to which the Fenix is hang. I guess the programmable niche has been filled by LiteFlux.

Daekar

Enlightened
For programming, Fenix may want to take to let the user decide how many brightness settings there are and how bright they are, in what order, etc. Of course, I don't think we'll see (or need) a programmable Fenix.

Probably not worth it to Fenix, but for geeks: Build a 18650 based LOD-CE type light, as small as possible to fit a protected 18650. Allow it to also run on 2xCR123/RCR123. Thread the head so it will also fit the P3D body with clicky if possible (may not be).
I like this idea, there is a serious lack of small, quality 18650 lights on the market. My only objection is that, like with the LP MRV and other many-batteried lights, the regulation on 18650 suffers badly to accommodate RCR123a cells. Even the Tiablo A8, simply by only offering CR123a compatibility (which makes sense, considering most people don't have RCR123as) has a much better regulation curve than the MRV does. The Tiablo A9 supports RCR123as and the regulation curve looks more like the MRV. If Fenix were to go through the trouble of making an 18650 light, I would ask that they optimize it for that battery ONLY (but hey, once you get a good Li-Ion regulation circuit you can use it for many different cell sizes, hint hint), and that they make it available with a twisty (like the P1D-CE) as well as a clicky interface for those who want to EDC the light but don't want to take up extra pocket space with a tailcap. Oh yes, and don't depend on the cell's built-in low-voltage protection to kick in, please set it to turn off when Vbat (under load) reaches somewhere around 2.9V-3.0V range.

More not worth it to Fenix, but fun for geeks: build a L2D-CE in 2xC size. Use wider diameter reflector to create a brighter hot spot. Design it to run flat with alkies like the E1.

I second this motion. If I could buy a 2C Fenix that had the same kind of excellent regulation displayed by the other models, I'd buy at least two "C2T-CE" models (or whatever they'd be) as gifts sight unseen as long as the engineers didn't go crazy increasing the output levels since they had bigger batteries to play with. A small increase in brightness would be OK maybe, but we're still dealing with alkalines so not too much current drain...

EDIT: It occurred to me just after posting this that it might be possible to make 18650 bodies for the P1D and/or P2D. As long as they still have their different brightness modes accessible when run by RCR123a (I don't remember if they do or not) I don't really see any reason why it wouldn't be desirable (and relatively easy) to make some. - Never mind, see below.

EDIT AGAIN: Did a bit of snooping. Didn't see anything that said it outright in words, but from runtime tests and brightness comparisons it appears that the P1D and P2D lose their lower levels when running on rechargables. Bummer. Guess it's up to Fenix.

Last edited:

2benlightened

Newly Enlightened
Yes!!! But only if the user interface is simpler than the novatac... in fact that many choices is not necessary.

Almost need two interfaces to multiply choices. Someone on the hdc-120 thread mentioned a ratchet style head, and I heard someone else mention that a while back too. Would that work? (eg. 5 modes x 3 or four cycleings through with tail switch gives you 20 choices... almost doesn't need to be programmed now, does it?)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in the days of the single mode Q-III, adding a flupic and programming it to the light level of one's choice makes sense.

Today's bright lights need multiple levels and to get to the users most used level at the 1st try, last mode memory and /or programmability is now added to the digital level/mode selector. Unfortunately this gets so complicated to do (usually with 1 button - even watches have 2 buttons) that I would not want to bother. Of course FENiX can make the programming easier by licencing JSB's computer programmable flashlight, but then I would have to EDC a laptop just in case I need to reprogram my torch in the field.

What would make more sense is to have easily adjustable levels, from the Proton at the low end to the Titan at the high end, with the Novatec and the Surefire with the hexagonal ring behind the head in between (sorry forget the model # for the Surefire).

As a compramise I got the L1T. Twist head for levels. Push button for on-off. Done.

I think FENiX would do better to try figure out how to do a continuously variable light or a 3 level L1T. Currentlly the L1T is missing a low-low.
Low - 3 lumens for close in work.
Medium - 15 - 20 lumens for walking/indoor
High - max posible for seeing at a distance

MillerMods used to do an Arc AAA mod like that. Keep twisting the head. Light goes from off to low to medium to high. No programming required. No multiple pushes on the button or multiple twists on the body.

whc

Enlightened
That would be nice with a Fenix programmable flashlight, a relatively cheap Chinese flashlight with decent build quality, clicky switch and programmable features, that would be awesome!

though that said Fenix could do more knurling on their flashlights, and support for Li-Ion 3.7v is what is holding me back from getting any Fenix flashlights lately, so if they made one with programmable features, knurled body (and maybe head and tail two), forward clicky, support for Li-Ion 3.7v and maybe Seoul SSC P4 LED, that would be a winner IMO :).

DanielG

Enlightened
As an absolute aside, ViReN your avatar always makes me think of a hollow point before and after expansion. It takes me a minute or two to realize it's a star mount :grin2:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
huh... my avatar is active?.... where do you see it? ... I had removed it long back since last run of Copper Heat Sinks for Nuwai QIII.....

DanielG

Enlightened
huh... my avatar is active?.... where do you see it? ... I had removed it long back since last run of Copper Heat Sinks for Nuwai QIII.....

Here ya go :huh:

virenavatar.jpg

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daniel G Thanks :) i just removed it..

on the thread... Other Lights do the job better.... received such less number of votes... ??? just surprising... what is being expected here...