HDS EDC 60 Problem - Help!

Voripteth

Newly Enlightened
I replaced the battery in my HDS EDC 60 and now it doesn't reliably light. As I screw on the tail cap the the light shines briefly and then turns off by the time I get the cap all the way on. Clicking the button doesn't turn the light on. Argh!

When I replaced the battery I unscrewed the tail cap and saw that the battery was inside a large spring. I don't recall it being assembled that way before. There is still the small spring in the tail cap. Is the large spring supposed to be pushing against the head of the battery instead of being around it?

I've now reassembled my EDC trying different combinations of spring positions, batteries so many times I actually have a blister on my finger. I can get slightly different behaviors none of them is working right. The closest I got to getting the button to work again was getting a beam that would get progressively lighter as long as I held the button but the moment I released it the light went off. I tried to reassemble it again and now I have nothing.

I tried searching this forum but I didn't find any meaningful results. Any suggestions on what to do?

Is this light even supported any more?

Thanks for whatever help you can offer!

macforsale

Enlightened
The large spring is the signal path for the button. The brief blink was the startup signal. If the large spring is not making contact with the circuit board next to the button end of the light it will not turn on. The short stubby spring is the main current path for the light engine.

Press down on the large spring and twist it like you are screwing it into the bottom of the tube. That should help make contact with the bottom. I believe your large spring is copper colored. The next generation of springs had a smaller diameter wire and were steel colored and not as tight a fit in the tube.

mike

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I replaced the battery in my HDS EDC 60 and now it doesn't reliably light. As I screw on the tail cap the the light shines briefly and then turns off by the time I get the cap all the way on. Clicking the button doesn't turn the light on. Argh!

When I replaced the battery I unscrewed the tail cap and saw that the battery was inside a large spring. I don't recall it being assembled that way before. There is still the small spring in the tail cap. Is the large spring supposed to be pushing against the head of the battery instead of being around it?

I've now reassembled my EDC trying different combinations of spring positions, batteries so many times I actually have a blister on my finger. I can get slightly different behaviors none of them is working right. The closest I got to getting the button to work again was getting a beam that would get progressively lighter as long as I held the button but the moment I released it the light went off. I tried to reassemble it again and now I have nothing.

I tried searching this forum but I didn't find any meaningful results. Any suggestions on what to do?

Is this light even supported any more?

Thanks for whatever help you can offer!

When first installing a battery, the light will turn on for a second after tightening it (a momentary dim flash). This is normal.

The spring is supposed to be around the battery. When changing batteries it is good practice to do a soft reset. Unscrew the tailcap and wait about a minute and then screw the tailcap back on (you should see the momentary dim flash).
If problems persist you can do a hard rest which will restore the lights factory settings. I can't remember off hand how to do a hard reset. I think you unscrew the tailcap like you would with a soft reset and then when screwing the tailcap back on, push and hold the button as soon as the light does its momentary dim flash. PM your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you the HDS EDC U60 manual.

Try contacting Jim Schecter at Novatac for any support questions for the HDS.

Voripteth

Newly Enlightened
Success! :thumbsup:

I carefully threaded the large spring so it was securely contacting the bottom of the tube and now everything is working again. Thanks so much for the help!

Latest posts