2 Mod Suggestions for LEO

SF 6PD with Malkoff M60 is a great Duty Light?

• Yea, sounds like it fits the bill.

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • You could do way better. Like....

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

tomcat017

Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

Let me apologize in advance--I know this is a fairly long thread with several questions, but I didn't want to break it up and clog up the forums with multiple posts. So...a big thank you in advance to everyone who actually reads this, and takes the time to answer :thanks:. Even if you just have something to share on aspect of the thread, that'd be great. Hopefully others may find this useful as well.

So, here is the situation: I have a friend who is graduating academy in December, and I'd like to put together the best light for him that I can afford. My primary goal is to build him a nice backup light. He already has a Mag 2C, which, if I have some money left over, I'd also like to improve a bit. He'll likely be on foot patrol when he first gets out, so weight is a concern. I read a whole bunch of the "which light for an LEO?" threads, and have pretty much settled on an idea. But I wanted to run it by you guys to see if you think it is a good one, and what could be changed.

For the backup light, I was thinking of going with the SF 6PD and the Malkoff M60 dropin, powered by 2 R123a cells.
Things I like: Surefire quality
Malkoff Cree brightness and tint
Crenellated bezel
Rechargeable

But there are also some things that I am unsure about. I'd like to hear what you guys think (especially any LEOs).
Concerns: Not sure how long the run time would be, and what I should aim for.
I know it's going to get beat up, but HAIII would be nicer.
I'm assuming magnets wouldn't be required, but just want to make sure.
Is the weight of this light a problem at all for carying? Would something even smaller be recommended, since he is already carrying a 2C (on foot)? Is a backup light even useful enough to warrant carrying it in this situation?
Anything else you could think of, I'd really like to hear....

As for improving the 2C: I don't want to go with an LED dropin--think he'd prefer an incan (unless there is some reason not to). What options are out there to improve it? I read the ROP 2C thread, but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. Would bulb life be too short? Run time? Would it be too bright? Not sure if a dimmer light is actually useful to have on you for writting, etc. Again, lots of questions, but any input would be really appreciated. Thanks for bearing with the long thread, and potentially ignorant questions :thinking:!!

-Mike

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Hi Mike,

I am not an LEO, but am friends with one, and I am familiar with some of the needs of the work. Other folks with first hand experiences that have tried different lights would be better sources of info, but I will share what I have picked up.

An incan is a good choice for primary duty light due to throw and depth perception (color rendition is better too, but often not critical), and something with impact resistance like a Surefire is a must without a backup. With an LED backup light, then the primary light can afford to take more risks, such as with a Mag (modded of course :naughty:).

One 2C mod I would like to recommend as an alternative to the ROP is the 1111 running off of 2 AW C cells. Runtime is not too long (about an hour), but the LED light adds a lot to total available light runtime, and could even be used in many situations instead of the incan, especially where the 1111 would be too much light. [Edit: Another nice bulb choice is the 1274. It would have a runtime of about 70 minutes. The ROP low would be the next step down in output and up in runtime, lasting about 100 minutes on AW's C cells. The ROP is a less expensive mod than the bi-pin options and the low setup is immune to some of the heat associated problems that can come with the ROP high on long runs. It is still quite an upgrade from the stock setup. TigerhawkT3's suggestion is cheaper still.] Another nice option for the 2C 1111 or 1274 (works with the bi-pin bulbs only) is AW's regulator to extend runtime by decreasing output (and also efficiency though). With 3 levels to choose from it can be more versatile. Other duty lights, like Stingers for example, offer less light but more durability in an easier to carry form. And the Mag mods can get expensive depending on options.

For the LED backup light, which is a good idea regardless of the primary duty light, Malkoff drop ins would be my first choice as well, and the Surefire to match it can't be beat for durability and efficient use of metal. They are much lighter than some other tactical lights and still very durable. Rechargeables are nice if he has to buy his own cells, but double the runtime is preferred using primaries. It's great to have the choice between them.

It sounds like you have given this careful thought, and I think your plan will give him the most benefit for the buck (quality LED backup with possible bonus upgrade to primary incan). Your friend is lucky to have you on his side. :grin2:

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm happy to help.

The 6PD with a Malkoff sounds great. You'll get better runtime and more output than an ordinary (incan) 6PD, and it sounds like you already have a rechargeable setup in mind with the 2xRCRs (I don't know whether they'll actually work, so I'll take your word for it). Depending on what the regulator specs are, you might get better performance on 1x17670. If your friend is really going to USE this light, the finish probably won't matter too much. HA doesn't make a more durable light, it just makes the light harder to scratch up. It'll work just the same, and the aluminum body will be just as good regardless of the finish. You won't need magnets, as 16340s come with button tops. Such a setup isn't too heavy at all (a little over 5oz. according to SF), and cops usually carry a radio, cuffs, pepper spray, Glock/SiG/etc., and whatever else they tote. As for backup lights, remember this saying: "Two is one, and one is none."

Making an ROP out of the 2C could be nice, and definitely easy. You'd need the bulb, Al reflector, and glass window, as well as a battery solution of your choice. I think the best option for 2C would be a pair of AW's C Li-Ions, although those are kind of expensive and you'd need a charger for them. A cheaper mod would be the old 3xCR123A>2C, which requires 3xCR123A, Mag's 5-cell Mag-num Star, a modified tailspring, and a bit of heater hose. This wouldn't be nearly as bright as the ROP, but it would be cheaper and easier. mudman cj's suggestions above (posted while I was typing) are great as well.

Your concerns about the lights being too bright are right on. Whenever your friend has to write something at night, he'll need a low-output light. You could look into the ARC AAA, Fenix E0, Streamlight Microstream, and other lightweight, low-ouput lights. If your friend is open to left field-type ideas, you could suggest a headlight. I recently saw a Zebralight at Flashapalooza II, and it might be ideal for such use.

Good luck, and congratulations to your friend!

tomcat017

Enlightened
Wow, thanks for all the input guys!! Really appreciate it. Glad you both approve of the setup. I found a post today where someone created a SF light with a C2 body and a 6PD bezel and tailcap. What do you think? Too long? Oddly shaped for police work? Just curious. Thanks again for your help. If anyone else has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

-mike

MeanMike

Newly Enlightened
there are a few things youll need to clarify.

I see youre in NY and you mention 'foot patrol'

Very few places in this country still have a typical foot patrol or 'beat' walked by officers such as a NYPD does.

Im personally issued a patrol car, which only I use and take home with me every night, and can mount battery chargers and other accessories where I want. Im never more than a few minutes from my car.

Will you be walking a beat? will you be issued a car? using a line car?

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he isn't issued a weapon light...and he most likely isn't...

For the backup light for his belt I would recommend any of the Surefires that can be used with a handgun such as the G2Z, Z2, or C2. You can put any of the LED drop in's in these as well. It would give him more functionality over the straight bodied 6PD.

I'm using a Wolf-Eyes D26 XR-E LED dropin in my Z2 with primary CR123's.

Something else to consider; the crenellated Strike Bezel on the 6PD is just not PC for most agencies, especially if he had to articulate the justification of it's use.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEO here as well , personally I would stay away from the SF 6PD with the strike bezel as it could be a liability issue. Just get a regular 6P or Z2. I normally carry my Insight Typhoon on my belt and a SF C2 HA with a Cree drop-in as my back up light in my cargo pocket. In my patrol bag in the car are other back up lights/incandescents lights. As for the 2 C Mag get a Mag Magnum Star 5 cell bulb and a piece of 3/4 " PVC and put 3 CR123 cells or if you have the extra money get 2/17500 Li-Ion cells and a charger. Looks just like a stock Mag but way brighter.

Last edited:

tomcat017

Enlightened
Thanks again guys--I hadn't thought of the liability of a strike bezel. I thought the round body of the 6P would be nice b/c it's easy to use as a fist load. But a few of you mentioned something more compatible with a handgun. Are the other lights a lot easier to use with a weapon? Becasue it's easier to grip with a different body shape? Would that make it uncomfortable to use as a fist load (say a rectangual body)? Sorry about all the questions--just want to make sure I'm getting him a useful light... thanks again for all the help!!

edit: MeanMike: yes, he'll be walking foot patrol without a car, at least for a while.

Last edited:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again guys--I hadn't thought of the liability of a strike bezel. I thought the round body of the 6P would be nice b/c it's easy to use as a fist load. But a few of you mentioned something more compatible with a handgun. Are the other lights a lot easier to use with a weapon? Becasue it's easier to grip with a different body shape? Would that make it uncomfortable to use as a fist load (say a rectangual body)? Sorry about all the questions--just want to make sure I'm getting him a useful light... thanks again for all the help!!

edit: MeanMike: yes, he'll be walking foot patrol without a car, at least for a while.

The C2/Z2 C3 are easier to use because of the combat body IMHO. But thats just me.

MeanMike

Newly Enlightened
The C2/Z2 C3 are easier to use because of the combat body IMHO. But thats just me.

Its not just you.

I also like the Z bodied surefires....

I have the Z3 myself.. those rubber rings on the body allow for a great comfortable grip... pair the surefires with the v70 holster and its great.

Although this next option doesnt seem like such a popular pick on this forum... but the streamlight stingers are extremely reliable, easy to recharge with the cradle chargers, and small enough to fit on the duty belt.

Many of my co-workers use the streamlights (including me, i have a ultra stinger that sits on my cradle charger in my patrol car at all times) and they do work great....

Like most departments, your friend isnt going to get anywhere near the amount of training he needs to be proficient in combat with a firearm and flashlight at the same time. Statistics show most officer will revert to firing with one hand when the crap hits the fan.... dont concentrate too much on the most tactical and best/brightest flashlight, as the most reliable and easy to use one.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
On foot at night, he will need something fairly light to carry all the time. The G2Z, Z2 or C2 with the P60 LED dropin will be great for brightness and runtime. The combat bodies will give him options for threat assessment/management when he has to search for threats in dark alley's, backyards, garages, basements, dark apartment hallways or setup a perimeter in these areas, etc. If he's alone or separated from a partner, he will have to manipulate a light and handgun at the same time for threat assessment.
I also replaced my tailcap with the Surefire Z58/59. You screw the tailcap all the way tight. When you deploy the light you never have to adjust the tailcap like you would with the stock one. It has a choice of momentary or constant-on light activation without having to rotate the tailcap of your light. Push lightly on the tailcap for momentary activation, push harder to "click" the light into constant-on mode, click again for off.

Last edited: