secondary optics vs reflectors

ovlovder

Newly Enlightened
I have a light I am building using 3 leds with a lens.

I have been considering spraying the back-side with a chrome-like paint to decrease loss.. I figure there must be some reason this is not common, or manufacturers dont do this.

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated, Im fairly new to this field...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What kind/brand of LED are you using?

Optics are actually more efficient then reflectors. Most reflectors with an uncoated window are around 65% efficient. Most Optics are above 85% efficient. A good quality high reflectivity coated reflector and multi layer AR coated window can get above 90% efficiency but a good optic would be around 90% efficient at a lower price.

But most optics don't provide much spill.

:welcome:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
spraying the back of the optic will rend it useless, but try it if You dont believe ...

nice to read ever and ever :rolleyes: that optics are better and more efficient, while personal experience shows that they are crap.
Just get a good reflector (IMS 20 mm for Seoul, McR 19 mm for Cree) and compare to optic. There is no switching back as soon as You have tried.
The only thing to use optics is on multiemitters together when one doesnt want to spent too much money - they are cheaper

legtu

Enlightened
painting the backside of an optic like in this thread? ;)

you can use the search function of the forum if you want to find other similar threads... :)

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of optics rely on the density difference between the plastic and the air to make the light bounce off the internal surface of the optic. This is how fiber optic cables work. When you coat the optic with paint, you change this very precise density difference and actually lower the amount of light that bounces back into the optic to get redirected out the front.