All of my LED lights are Seouled. (Pics)

Supernam

Enlightened
Hi all,

I must say. I love SSC P4's. They swap into yesterday's lights so well, particularly Luxeon lights. All of my LED lights have Seouls other than my 5mm led lights. Some of them came that way, some of them were swapped into them, a few were swapped by yours truly.

Ok, here are the pics:

l1.JPG

L to R: Novatac 120T USVOH, Milky L1 Floodmaster, SF L6 USVOH, Elektrolumens Baster 1D, SL Scorpion LED USWOH, Black Diamond SPOT USVOH, PT EOS USWOH.

l2.JPG

l3.JPG

Swaps that I did myself:
Novatac 120T-> USVOH. Nicer tint and about 25-30% more output according to others.
SF L6, had a Cree P4 swapped in and bias bumped to 1A by CM, then I swapped in a USVOH, runs on 2x17500 li ions. Better tint and better beam. (cree's are kinda green)
Scorpion LED->USWOH great improvement in output! Great beam.
Black Diamond Spot-> USVOH, awesome, but tricky to do.
Princeton Tec EOS (bike)-> USWOH. Super easy to do.

All emitters and stars were bought from Photonfanatic due to his prompt shipping and careful packaging. Also his batch of emitters are consistent in output and tint. After trying out both USWOH and USVOH emitters, I have found that I prefer the warmer of the two, USVOH. All lights can be remodded should Seoul come out with something brighter. Any questions or comments welcomed.

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree... I love the output characteristics of the SSC's. The SVO warm tint is also my favorite. Great job on the lights! Nicely centered emitters too!

Stromberg

Enlightened
Supernam, how difficult was that Streamlight Scorpion Led mod? I have one Scorpion but it has been left in the shadows of brighter torches lately.:sigh:

Supernam

Enlightened
Honestly, it was tricky to get the led module to crack open. It's easy to get the module out of the head, just unscrew the top portion of the head. Once you have the module out, you can see that there is a seam where the module can be separated. I took 2 adjustable pliers and gripped the 2 sections and tried twisting it apart. It doesn't unscrew as I initially thought it would. I ended up squeezing it a little hard and it popped apart. There are no threads, it's just sort of self locking. Once you get that open, everything else is downhill because it conveniently uses a star, and has a little plastic thing that centers the emitter. Reassemble and voila'! It didn't use thermal compound to conduct heat between the module and the head, so smeared it all over inside.

The hardest part was popping open the led module. You just gotta take a risk and give it a nice squeeze so that the aluminum deforms enough to pop it apart. Only the cap portion of the module will get deformed, but it bends back and doesn't hurt the light anyway.

It's equally bright to my eyes when doing a ceiling bounce test to my Novatac 120T. It's well regulated according to flashlightreviews.com and runs for 2 hours 49 minutes until 50%. Sweet! My Scorpion LED was my first light that led to me becoming a flashaholic.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Hey Super.

Nice job! I find my collection went from almost all cree to at least 1/3 seoul too.

I modded a couple EOS's, Tikka XP, Minimag drop in and Lumapower LM302. I don't consider myself a modder but I guess I am now!

BTW, did you actually see any increase in output in your Novatac? I thought about doing the mod but decided to hold off till better bins come out.

Supernam

Enlightened
I couldn't tell to the naked eye, but then again, I don't have a light meter. Perhaps if I had 2 side by side, one modded and one unmodded, it would be easier. However, others who have done the mod reported about a 25% increase with their light meters. I personally did it because I prefer a warmer tint. The stock Novatac seemed to have a USWOH rather than the warmer USVOH. Also, I am more confident with Photonfanatic's Seouls' consistency. So if others reported higher outputs, then the same would likely to be true for mine.

Supernam

Enlightened
Yup, that will work. By the way, I'm not a modder either. I just have a lot of experience with soldering (use to race R/C cars). In fact, I just did my first mod probably about a month ago, then just swapped everything else that didn't have a Seoul in it. The road to flashaholism is quite steep.

Stromberg

Enlightened
Yup, that will work.

Thank you for the info, one more question at this point:

There was a note in datasheet that slug of the emitter is connected to anode, does this cause any problems or is it necessary to isolate pcb electrically from the heat sink?

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
Nice Job!

How can i mod SF L4 and Gladius?

Do i need to change the driver of the Led too? where could i read about it so i'll have the basic to under go thr mod?

Thanks

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Supernam:

I've got a KL6 which has a pretty bad doughnut and the once bright output now appears pretty dim compared to my Cree and SSC lights.

How easy is it to swap out the Lux V for a SSC? Is it just a matter of desoldering the Lux V and soldering on the SSC? Do I need to mod the stock KL6 reflector to fit the SSC?

Walt175

Enlightened
How's the beam on the Blaster? I've been thinking of putting a Seoul in mine, but didn't think it would work well with the optic.

Supernam

Enlightened
I think it works well in this light keeping in mind the Blaster's intended purpose which is long runtime. It has a nice round ball of light. Since the light wasn't made to be really bright, the optic captures all useful light and directs it forward. The captured spill gives it pretty good throw and makes the light more useful for power outages etc.

whc

Enlightened
Very nice, am also a Seoul man myself :). Only got one Cree left that I just modded with the Q5 (L1D-CE), else all my flashlights has got the seoul mods, also like the USV0H tint best very nice and soft white, but the USW0H is also nice since it often is just a tad brighter :D.

holeymoley

Newly Enlightened
Super, I just mentioned in another post that I did this mod for a Black Diamond Zenix that I take hiking.

It had a Luxeon in there and I replaced it with a SSC U-bin star which worked perfectly with the stock lens. I am so much happier with this headlamp now. I was going to bench it in favor of one of my Cree flashlights, but now that I have done this mod I will start bringing it on trips again. I definitely recommend this to anyone with a LED headlamp:D

Supernam

Enlightened
Super, I just mentioned in another post that I did this mod for a Black Diamond Zenix that I take hiking.

It had a Luxeon in there and I replaced it with a SSC U-bin star which worked perfectly with the stock lens. I am so much happier with this headlamp now. I was going to bench it in favor of one of my Cree flashlights, but now that I have done this mod I will start bringing it on trips again. I definitely recommend this to anyone with a LED headlamp:D

I totally know what you mean! It's a great feeling when you bring a light out of retirement. It's like a new heart! My Black Diamond sees more action than the EOS now around the house like when I work on my bicycles. The Scorpion mod was my favorite to do because I haven't seen it done yet and I feel it's such a powerful light with great runtime to back it up.