Simple Q5 AA torch?

White Phos

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of a single AA Q5/equivalent efficiency & lumens torch which has at least two brightness levels, a tactical recessed clickie and preferably a memory to turn on at the last light level used?

I have looked at the Olight 15 and the L1D CE, but neither is quite right - any ideas?

Cheers,

White Phos

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
If you ever find this light, I'll buy 1!! Really I don't think a Q5 will work to it's fullest capability on 1 AA. I'm looking at either a Fenix L1T V2.0 a JetBeam C-LE V2 or a Lumapower LM 31 maybe even a DX SAIK RC-A3 Cree AA. The hunt for the perfect 1 AA EDC is an ongoing struggle here on CPF. Even if you get close to perfection, UI is picky or complicated, finish is flaky, gets too warm, comes on in high mode, short runtime, high is too low, low is too high!
Goodluck buddy, tell me if you find a best so I can get one too.

Last edited:

Scattergun

Enlightened
I recently built a flashlight based on a Leef 18500 body, a G&P tactical bezel with UCL, a Surefire Z41 tailcap and a cheap LED-module for P60-lights... I rebuilt the module with a RV7-driver and a Cree Q5
I put a thin hollow piece of rubber inside the body to snugly fit an Elite1700-cell

The guy that bought the ligth just compared it to a SF L4 and my single AA light killed the L4!:devil:

Three levels and memory for last level.:whistle:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy White Phos,
Gee, a member since June 2006, but this is your first post. Happy to have you join us.

You might check out this little beauty:
http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jet1mkiir.html

More detailed information can be found here:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=169263

Hopefully it will be available in the next week or so. It uses a Cree Q4 LED, has last level used memory, and a recessed clicky. And, supposedly, when using a 14500 lithium-ion rechargeable battery will put out close to 180 lumens..... and according to Jetbeam will be able to run at that level for long periods without getting too hot.

I can't wait to see the reviews on this one!

meuge

Enlightened
Does anyone know of a single AA Q5/equivalent efficiency & lumens torch which has at least two brightness levels, a tactical recessed clickie and preferably a memory to turn on at the last light level used?

I have looked at the Olight 15 and the L1D CE, but neither is quite right - any ideas?

Cheers,

White Phos

I always thought that because of the high Vf, putting a Q5 into a 1xAA light was a waste of a Q5. As far as I understand, either the Rebel100 or a high-range SSC U-bin will be the best LED for a 1xAA light.

Scattergun

Enlightened
Vf on Q5-LEDs are getting lower and lower by the day and it´s really not that bad now, and isn´t running a 14500 Lithium like cheating!? I thought you wanted something powerful on a simple Nimh or Alkaline!? My setup runs on a Nimh AA, just check out StefanFS thread on modifying a Ultrafire C2 with the RV7 driver, thats another really powerful AA-light!

mchlwise

Enlightened
You might check out this little beauty:
http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jet1mkiir.html

More detailed information can be found here:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=169263

Hopefully it will be available in the next week or so. It uses a Cree Q4 LED, has last level used memory, and a recessed clicky. And, supposedly, when using a 14500 lithium-ion rechargeable battery will put out close to 180 lumens..... and according to Jetbeam will be able to run at that level for long periods without getting too hot.

I can't wait to see the reviews on this one!

Yeah, that's going to be about the best, I think.

I've pretty much given up hope of ever getting more than 100 lumens out of a single (alkaline) AA after seeing that JetBeam won't even put a Q5 in their new light because the single AA just can't drive it.

I wouldn't exactly call using a 14500 "cheating". You can get (supposedly) 180 lumens out of it from a 14500, but still have the capability to throw in any old AA in an emergency or whatnot.

That's the big draw for me with single AA lights - availability of batteries. For all my heavy duty lumen needs, I've had to go to 123 cell lights.