Costco are supposed to be coming to Australia, what do we have to look forward to?

Norm

Retired Administrator
Costco are supposed to be coming to Australia, what do we have to look forward to?
Are many of the people here members?
Do you get value for your membership fees?
Norm

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is the same as the US ones:

- large sizes, low prices
- don't carry all brands of their items but do carry very good brands (often the best) for each
- the best darn hot dog deal on the planet (which is outside and requires no membership): a quarter pound Hebrew National Kosher Hot Dog and a bottomless soft drink for $1.50
- best darn rotisserie chicken deal on the planet (don't know WHERE they find chickens that big to roast..$5 each)
- a pretty darn good pizza deal (also outside). 2 big pieces for $2.

Everything is bigger, and you will become bigger also because after you buy that 3 lb jar of beautiful cashews for $9 or whatever, you will then eat them faster because they're there and you don't want to let them go stale or anything...

You can good value from them if you buy large amounts of stuff.

- Enjoy.

Last edited:

bitslammer

Enlightened
Go browse their website www.costco.com for some idea. Not everything in store is on the website and not everything on web is found in stores.

In addition to the other comments you will also (hopefully) find extremely high quality high value food products as well as wines of that's allowed in your area. You'll also see unique items not easily found anywhere else. The inventory is very seasonal. If there is something you want don't hesitate or it might be gone.

I also have to chime in that their pizza absolutely rocks for the price and quality. I hardly ever leave the store without a piece of combo and a soda. Not a bad deal for like $2.50 or so.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great prices for household cleaning items, seasonal items, and food. Be careful with food items. It is easy to buy the large quantity of certain items only to have them go bad or get stale. Things that can be frozen are fine. I find it very easy to buy more than I intended to. Some items are a better deal in the regular supermarkets when that item is on sale.

Some items only show up once, if you want it - buy it - it might not be there the next time you go.

All in all - it is worth while to be a member - you can save some money.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lines are only long if you go at peak times. Try going on, say, Thursday night at about 7:00. You won't have to wait at all.

The $1 churros are _excellent_. Really good deals on TVs & electronics, too.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition, good prices on automobile tyres. Grab the 2 slice pizza deal while they are being installed.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
And your major seasonal holidays will be about 3 months earlier ("Christmas started a month ago here, and trees/lights/gifts/etc. will be gone by early/mid-December).

Costco generally avoids sales on end of season items by watching stock flow--once the sales have peaked/flattened (not peaked and declined), they cut off further orders/stocking. Hence specials/seasonal things tend to disappear quickly.

-Bill

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's anything like canadian costco, stuff will be way more expensive than american counterpart and they skip most goodies they sell in the states. :(

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fun thing too is that the Costco card works world wide--so it is fun to go to a Costco in a different country (went to the Costco in Taipei, Taiwan earlier this year--some things were the same, but lots of localized food too--wife and in-laws love it).

-Bill

Norm

Retired Administrator
Thanks for the insight, I live in the country so I probably won't be able to shop too often.
Norm