Q5 vs. Rebel 100

Norm

Retired Administrator
I have only one example of each and the Q5 is much brighter and nicer tint.
Q5 star purchased from DX running 1000mA, Rebel UltraFire R2.
Norm

Patriot

Flashaholic
There were some recent threads about this...but the q5 is brighter, the tint is whiter, and I can't say for sure which is more efficient although I thought that I saw a run-time graph showing the Q5 running longer in a P3D.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i think they're closer in brightness and efficency than we give the rebel credit for. i'm leaning towards the q5 myself but it's very close. remember the q5s numbers we have are at a higher voltage, meaning more total watts consumed to make these higher power numbers.

i have a l2d rebel100 on the way and a l2d q5, i'll be able to post a little more on it in two weeks or less. (not to mention my current l2d ce, probably for sale soon)

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bare LEDs themselves are within 10% of each other in terms of total output. The rebel has a slight edge in efficiency due to a slightly lower Vf.

The main factor in which will be brighter in a given application will depend on the driver used, the heatsinking/mounting method, optics, etc. You can easily make one outshine the other by using sub-optimal conditions for one of the aforementioned aspects. So it depends more on the manufacturer than the individual LED its self.

mchlwise

Enlightened
i think they're closer in brightness and efficency than we give the rebel credit for.

That's my understanding also.

For a while the Rebel seemed to be king, now the Q5 is contending with it. I don't think there's a clear "winner" at this point, though.

Mostly personal preference between these two as far as emitter only goes.

Actual performance in a light is going to depend on a number of things, and you can easily have a light with either emitter from a certain manufacturer being more efficient and brighter than a light with the other emitter from another manufacturer.

The Rebel might be just a leetle more efficient.

I personally MUCH prefer the tint of the rebel to any Cree I've seen (though I have no experience with a Q5) - not so much because of the actual "tint" of the light, but because of the superior color rendering from the Rebel. It brings out reds and warm colors much better than my previous Cree experiences.

vertigo_2_20

Newly Enlightened
Any updates on this? Also, can anybody please explain the whole warm/cool thing, maybe show some pictures displaying the differences, and what the benefits of each are? Also, everybody keeps talking about the brightness difference between the Rebel and the Q5, which from all accounts is next to negligible, but what about beam quality: spot intensity, spill quantity, rings, etc?

Edit: Is this an example of cool and this an example of warm? (Pictures courtesy of cernobila here)

Last edited:

vertigo_2_20

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link. Post 19 was especially helpful, looks like the Q5 lights things up noticeably more.