Help with a head lamp... GURUs please help..

koeovo1on

Newly Enlightened
hey guys,

I've been doing a bit of research on trying to develop a head lamp that I can use for school. I was wondering if you guys would help to point me in the right direction.

I am hoping to make something like this::

I've seen a few of these lights, some with reflectors and some with aspherical lense. I'm not sure the advantage of one over the other. Maybe someone can enlighten me on this.

I was planning on buying the following items
- SSC seoul (u bin) swo
- 5 mode 1000mA 7135 Circuit board (i need the ability to dim the light)
- one of these reflector Link
*which one would provide a focused beam of about 60-90 mm at ~20
inches from the source?

if you have a better idea of using something else that is lighter and better,please point me in the right direction. Is the driver i have appropriate?

Thanks in advance!!! =)

ausbump

Newly Enlightened
You should probably mention that you're in dental school :twothumbs
Makes the purpose a bit easier.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Looking at a Dental headlight the requirements you definately want something with lenses or aspheric for even illumination.

You might want to look into the "moon beam" type lights, like some Led Lensers or the first Inova X1 to scavenge parts. ;)

The Docter Aspherilux has a perfect reflector for an aspheric system (figures... :p ), the stock lens however needs replacing as the beam is too wide in the original configuration.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
short:
reflector: focused main beam + sidespill
optic/aspheric: focused main beam, no useful spill at all

for Your "which one would provide a focused beam of about 60-90 mm at ~20 inches from the source?" I 'd type: none of them, that would be quite extreme focusing.
They are all about equal and offer a dot of double the size

maybe this pic helps You
(the 2nd row is about Your 20", the smallest ring is 25 cm (9.8") in diameter):
arx1a8458v4jev8fo.jpg

I like the 19 mm best and advise it, its the best all around reflector of the 4 McR-XRs. the 27 surely gives tighter focus, but is a PITA to place

Cypher

Enlightened
Here was my attempt. I've actually got pretty much everything I need for a prototype except a suitable battery pack. I just haven't put it all together. I made it out of a mini maglite head, copper heatsink made from old pennies, a cree emitter and the cree 8* optic.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/155371

ETA: What school are you attending?