Darell needs a new mouse

Darell

Flashaholic
I'm about ready to throw this thing through the monitor... But I can't find a new mouse that fits my needs. I'm sure somebody out there can give me the perfect pointer. Here's what I need:

Must be ambidextrous (meaning it is symetric in shape)
cordless/usb
easy on batteries
programmable buttons
scroll wheel with middle button

I currently have a Logitech universal mouse from many years ago that fills all the requirements except the "easy on batteries" part. I change the batteries (high capacity NiMH) every two days! And even then, the mouse just stops working on me every now and again, and a reboot is all that'll fix it. I can find ambidextrous ones that are the little ones for laptops, and have almost gone that route - but I need something bigger. Most of the good ones out there are "shaped" and in desperation, I may go that way. I need to be able to switch the mouse between hands however, as I have some issues with my wrists.

Thanks for any help!

Darell

Flashaholic
Thanks geep -

Sexy looking thing! I sure don't need the "air" part of it, and would rather not have to plug in yet another charger for the mouse. Ah... and I guess it has an "electronic" scroll wheel? I think I'd rather have a real wheel.

Keep 'em coming! Somebody's gotta have what I want. I just can't figure out what to google on for my "ambi" needs.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
My latest purchase was a precision mouse for gaming. At first this thing was way too sensitive and fast ... but after a short time I go tused to it and would never abandon it.
Tiny movements make ver precise moves on the screen, and very fast ones at that. Way superior to the standard optical mouse thingie.

Now that mine looks a bit worn and feels sticky I'll eventuall replace it ... with another one like it.

bernie

Darell

Flashaholic
Bernie - no linky? And no way to adjust the speed?

Nitroz and Craig - VERY nice finds! They both look like they fit the bill. I like the innovative charger/reciever of the one - nice when technology works FOR us!

Good stuff. CPF comes through again.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
No linky as I was talking "in general mode" and as I din't know how it is called any more ... all paint rubbed away by my hands. Probably old new for all of you anyway ... but for me having been used to the standard mouse ... a great difference.

Yes, adjustable speed ... but with this one "fast" speeds are actually precise, too, and not just fast and sloppy like with the mice that come with a new computer. :sick2:

bernie

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Logi VX Revolution. Awesome mouse, but for you unfortunately right-handed.

That said, I really like Logi mice. They have a few symmetric ones. But I found that they do not like rechargeables. Considering that I get 2 months battery runtime on one Duracell AA, it doesn't make much sense to put rechargeables in there. You might try Eneloops or other low self discharge ones, but I found that the runtime is still way too short with them (a week or so). Stick with Alkies or Lithium AA, and you're fine.

Mash

Enlightened
If you do get a logitech make sure you get a software prog called uberoptions. The factory Setpoint drivers that come with all logis are frankly absolutely useless (basically the original button assignments are ridiculous and you are SEVERLY limited as to what you can assign to them, ie nothing useful that you actually want); another example of baffling corporate decision making which makes me scream: "How and why in gods name did they come up with this stupid bunch of decisions?? Do they actually ever use their own products??????"
uberoptions actually allows you to assign sensible (or anything you feel like) functions to the numerous buttons.
I have an MX revolution and if it wasnt for uberoptions, would have thrown it out of the window 200 times a day, but now I am actually very happy with it!
Although beware that there seems to be a battery life limit of 1-1.5 years on the new logis, which is again another stupid thing.

Last edited:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I have one of the Razer Diamondback mice like Kiessling, and its great. I've had no issues with paint coming off other than the little Razer logo wearing off. The software that came with it can really help in fine-tuning speed/sensitivity, but the standard windows setup can be used too.
Even though this mouse is advertised as a gaming mouse, I dont game a lot, I bought it for its precisison as I did a lot of CAD work when I bought it. I will definately buy this mouse (or its successor) again if it's time to replace it.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
My rubberized buttons loose their rubber ... after one year or so of heavy use ... which i swhy I need a new one.

I am using it to run Cubase with its bazillion little tiny buttons. Perfect mouse. Although I admit I never cared for the software or the extra buttons. Don't need those, just the precision.

bernie

Empath

Flashaholic
Logitech LX5.

It's the one I use.

A couple of alkaline cells last so long that you almost forget you're using a battery powered device.

The tracking light is infrared instead of visible light.

You can shut it off to save power, but the cells last so long it doesn't seem to be a concern.

It also has a little led indicator to show the batteries or getting low. That little indicator serves more to remind you it's battery powered, since you'll forget it.

It scrolls vertically or horizontally with the wheel, and has programmable buttons.

It looks like a mouse is suppose to look, and feels like one should.

When it finally gets to where it seems like it's wearing out, you just open up the case by removing the screws, and blow out the belly-button lint looking stuff around the lens/light and scroll wheel, and it's as good as new.

Darell

Flashaholic
You guys are awesome! Love the cow mouse!

Whew... OK, I just bough the LX7. The LX5 looks like it would have fit the bill as well but I'm desperate and already orderd before seeing your post, Empath! Looks like the LX7 as the same "invisible" and "long battery" technology, so I'm pretty thrilled about that. Just has a few more buttons to get in my way.

Thanks also for the tip on the aftermarket driver. I'll check that out as well. Sure makes me glad I asked the question here!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darell, I have the LX7, just recently bought in a combination keyboard deal (excellent Logitech LX710 cordless keyboard). The only thing with the mouse is that it's pretty small, smaller then the average mouse I'd say, almost like one of those real small notebook mice. I have at best average sized hands and I'm find it too small, trying to get used to it. You look like a pretty big guy so I hope you don't have an issue with the size.

Darell

Flashaholic
You look like a pretty big guy so I hope you don't have an issue with the size.

Yeah... the "little guys" keep trying to convince me that size doesn't matter. Ha!

Hmm... well that isn't the best news I've heard all day. But hey, for $20 I can take the risk. If it doesn't work out, I'll give the LX5 a whirl. I'm just happy to have found something that looks like it'll work. And I was really close to getting another laptop mouse to use here - so this mouse HAS to be bigger than that! It is interesting that they don't list the dimensions of these in the "specs."

I'm NOT all that big, BTW. I just like to talk big.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My latest purchase was a precision mouse for gaming. At first this thing was way too sensitive and fast ... but after a short time I go tused to it and would never abandon it.
Tiny movements make ver precise moves on the screen, and very fast ones at that. Way superior to the standard optical mouse thingie.

Now that mine looks a bit worn and feels sticky I'll eventuall replace it ... with another one like it.

bernie

You know that mouse speed can be controlled in the Windows control panel, right?

Latest posts