Any alternative to Artic 2 components thermal adhesive

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

So far I've been using Artic Alumina 2 parts thermal adhesive.

While the end result seems ok and the adhesive does it's job, I have to say I really don't like to use that stuff.

First, it stinks seriously. Also, when I don't use it for a couple of weeks, I generally find the thickest part seringue impossible to open, potted. Last time, the mixture took ages to cure for unknown reasons (I made the 1:1 mixture normally). And last, I find it too thick : I would like to be able to inject it with a seringue (for example for Aleph LE, intead of filling approximatively the LE before closing it, I would prefer to fill it after it is closed with a seringue).

So do you guys know something that would be as good thermal adhesive but more fluid? Is it mandatory that it is 2-components or does it exist from a single tube, and will cure from contact with the air?

Thanks for your info

Canuke

Enlightened
So do you guys know something that would be as good thermal adhesive but more fluid? Is it mandatory that it is 2-components or does it exist from a single tube, and will cure from contact with the air?

It is mandatory that an *epoxy* have the two components, by definition. The second component serves as the curing agent in lieu of air; which is handy for epoxy because it usually cures underneath something that prevents oxygen from circulating in. The hardener is the stinky stuff; AFAIK all epoxies use that same hardener, as they have the same smell.

Air-cured adhesives take a lot longer to cure for that reason; as an extreme example: concrete needs oxygen to cure; as a result, the concrete in the Hoover Dam is *still* curing to this day.

Last edited:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work in an a lab. We have to fix thermocouples to electrical products to measure temperature during testing. We mix two part epoxy (quick setting) with Zinc oxide powder (in the form of a fine white powder) 50/50. I've used the same for some star swaps and a couple of emitter swaps. So far so good.

We have also used a thermal two part adhesive from RS components, it works fine for thermocouples at work. I've used it a couple times for mods and it seems ok, time will tell.

But both still use two parts, and stink.