Just got my first ARC LS1 But..................

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
After getting the LED bug several months ago and purchasing an ARC LE AAA (at a gun show) I have been saving my cash and silently viewing the candle power forum for ARC LS info and other developments from Peter and his group. Also just about every other flashlight web site. I was very impressed with the LE and have it on my key ring. But I had the bug for an LS. After checking Ebay for weeks and seeing them come and go I finally bought one. An LS1 Rev 2 !! Well, I just got the flashlight today and I hate to say it but I am not impressed with the finish on this guy. Looks like a piece of gray schedule 80 PVC. The knurling is ornamental, unlike my AAA LE, which is finer and deeper, too bad because the finish is Very slippery (like a piece of gray schedule 80 PVC !). There was no silicone grease on the O-rings and ground metal shavings in the threads. For a hundred bucks! I own a couple of Surefires that have functional knurling for a decent grip which you need on units this small. Yes, the light is bright and I have no complaints there. I just figured this thing would be the ultimate flashlight on the planet—maybe my expectations were a bit high. I'm still rooting for Peter and his group, though. I also regret the fact that my first post to this board sounds like whining.
I may sell it on the candle power forum or trade it off.

FlashGordon

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the ls1 is *old* stuff...

i think you may have gotten a factory "second" when less that "arc quality" lights were manufactured, peter offered them at a lesser price to offset some cost, and provide people with cheaper, flashlights.

for under $140, you can get an arc ls-p. the "p" (premium), donates the very best in finish, beam color, and light output. the ls-s or ls2, is the standard, it is still good, but not as good as an ls-p, so you pay less. (standard isn't like a second, peter no longer offers seconds, as manufacturing has improved and caused less errors)(the standard and the premium is premium /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

also, aaa's will be coming in standard and premium, much the same as they were standard and le, excpet that the standard body color will be "natural" instead of black.

welcome to the board though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
it was for just under "a hundred bucks" But you're right, I should have just gone to the ARC page and got one of the premiums from them. Almost did once or twice... Thanks for the input. Should have done SERIOUS research instead of lurking on the forum.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
at least you will have us to rely upon for your next purchases /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

actually, you can get the premiums from dealers as well now, hard to find some in stock i'm sure, but cheaper than direct.

i highly recommend getting a premium, they are guaranteed to be bright, white, and pretty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ls1 is quite old now, and you need something better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF FLash ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ha-III is known for tint variations /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif , not much anybody can do about that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
The knurling on the LS has always been smoother than on the AAA.

As long as you are happy with the beam quality, I should'nt let it bother me too much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Have fun here!

Tomas

Banned
Re: Just got my first ARC LS1 But..............

I have one of the Arc LS1 Hybrid seconds. The variations in color and texture between the three pieces that make up the case just add to it's personality. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The LS1 was a "prototype" product - sort of a "beta test" of the concept. There appear to be many differences between units (in fact I've never seen another that looks like mine, and that's disregarding the variations in finish, which I happen to like).

Yes, the knurling is a bit "soft" and could have a lot more bite to it, but as a "proof of concept" product, it's just fine. Mine is a daily carry.

If I had a complaint about my LS, it was with it's dismal water resistance. It used to drown (head partly fill with water) just using it in the rain. Now that I have dismantled the head and taken great care to seal it when reassembling, I'm very happy with it.

Considering I live in the Seattle area, rain is the most common outdoor weather, so a rain resistant LS was a must. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I hope you will come to like your LS1 more as time goes on.

Take care,
tomsig03.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast

Couldn't agree with you more Tom! I love both my LS1's. The HA doesn't match all that well but I could care less. I like the LS1's shorter and stubbier bodies much better than the newer thinner and longer bodies. As an added bonus, the clickies and the discontinued twist packs match up much better with the old LS1 bodies. Both of my LS1's are VERY bright and yes, one has the blue tint but the other is almost pure white! The one with the twist pack just dangles from a belt loop on my jeans and works every time when it's needed. I bought both used but mint and have a total of $140.00 invested for an LS1 with the clickie, one with the twist pack and the extra 2AA body!

Saaby

Flashaholic

Flash...actually ALL of what you describe sounds like an LS. First.

I got a [used] one and it didn't have greese either. I wonder if they come from Arc with lube (anybody?)

As for the color, most people love it but I guess it just hit a bad spot with you. As has been said, HA III is known for it's tint variations.
The knurling is shallow and the finish is slick. Aparently, although I was not around at the time, they tried a more agressibe knurl and it was found, er...less desirable than the current knurl.

The LS is truly an excellent light but nothing is perfect. That is, nothing is perfect for everyone. Not the LS, not even the Arc AAA (Quote that somebody it might disappear later).

Welcome to the forum. If you don't like the LS by all means sell it! Then hang around and continue your quest to find the ultimate in lighting--which is really a versonal thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
The LS is truly an excellent light but nothing is perfect. That is, nothing is perfect for everyone. Not the LS, not even the Arc AAA (Quote that somebody it might disappear later).

[/ QUOTE ] There you go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
Re: Just got my first ARC LS1 But..................

After looking at some of the refinishing,sandblasting, re-knurling and de-plating pictures of ARCs on the forums for the LS, I am finding something new to tinker with on my lathe at work. Maybe something along the McLux lines or some O-rings on the body, but recessed (if there is enough material). So I guess that I will keep this LS1 for a beater light at work. Thanks for all the input.
FlashGordon

Status
Not open for further replies.