Rechargeable alternative to SF 6P??

MTHall51

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for tolerating all these questions from me.

Does anyone know of a flashlight with the following characteristics:

1. Fairly small -- not more than about 2 times bigger than the SF 6P
  2. Metal body
  3. Bright light (60 lumens or about the same as the 6P)
  4. Rechargeable
  5. Good after market support for things like holsters, etc?
Mostly want a replacement for my SF 6P which would be rechargeable or else have a good amount of run time, yet retain enough brightness (not easy).

Any ideas?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to run a 6P with 2 x RCR123as and a P90... but that would only yield about 25-30 mins runtime.

Using the the same principle, you might try getting an A19 extender for your 6P to make it a 9P, and use 2 x 17500 li-on cells (18500 have more capacity and are more ideal but they can't fit SF tubes without boring) to run a P90. You should get 45+ mins of runtime theoretically, and 100+ lumens.

If you can get someone to bore your flashlight (and extender), you can prob push runtime to an hour with the 18500s.

Also, with this format, you can look around for suitable Lumens Factory lamps that can suit 2 x li-on cells and play around with those too.

Mike 208

Enlightened
You might want to consider getting the KR2-BK rechargeable kit from Surefire, which will turn your 6P into what they used to call a 6R. The kit contains a rechargeable battery, charger and battery extension. All of the 6P parts are used (including the lamp assembly). The 6R light is about the size of a 9P, and will run for 40 minutes with the P60 lamp (IIRC).

Hope this helps.

Mike

eamonn

Newly Enlightened
Good call on the Raider. I've got one with the WE LAs and LF EO-9, and it's a great guilt-free set-up.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Here is a third vote for the Raider with 2 x 18500's my favourite light set up regardless of what LA you have it, even with the standard it is quite bright, and not to big that it is uncomfortable to carry.

If you want to stay small like your 6P you can always get a Wolf Eyes sniper, same size, tail cap clicky and takes a 18650 with ease, although there is no reason you can't just make your 6P rechargeable using a LF LA and a single rechargeable cell, albeit smaller and slightly less capacity than the 18650

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
MTHall51,
Man, these guys nailed it. Great advice from all above. However, I started off in the mid-1980's with the Surefire 6R's and personally think that the Surefire rechargeable kit is a bit dated. It will only power the same P60 bulb you are using now. For the same price, actually less, you would do much better with two AW 17500's and a DSD charger.

I think the A19 adaptor is a great idea. ( I have one on my old round 6P).
You can run the two rechargeable 17500's with either a P90 or a LF HO-9 incandescent bulb. I have this setup and run the P90. It is fantastic. If you want to go LED, several of the LED P60 drop-ins will work as long as you get the 3.7-9v versions.

A while back I also got a Wolf-eyes Raider 9DX from PTS. On 3 CR123's or two 18500's it is a fantastic light. Much better than I had expected.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
Streamlight strion.

Same size as 6p.

Metal.

1-1.25 hour runtime.

Tough.

About $90 depending on options.

Also available with piggyback charger, charges spare battery while you use the light.

Same lumens as 6p, maybe a little more.

Excellent beam.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I would say the Dereelight CL1H. Yes it is a LED light but quality is very good, there are many module choices(P60 style drop-ins will all fit) and you could easily upgrade to a better/brighter module when they come out. Runs on a 18650 battery with the company's modules.

Or if you want Incan, a 3.7v lamp with a 17670 battery will also work.

maxilux

Enlightened
i vote for the Strion, much brighter, good light for an incan.
When you want more throw, think about the Tiablo A8 or A9

pfccypret

Newly Enlightened
Why not an LED 6P?

Brighter light and longer run time.

Also, the Strion is sweet too.

j3bnl

Enlightened
Good call on the various Wolf Eyes lights above. :twothumbs
You could also try the Streamlight Scorpian (fivemega version) uses 1x 18650 battery, strion bulb and costs $60.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.... Any ideas?

You could get a SF 6P and the SF kit that lets you change it into a rechargeable flashlight.

Wolf-Eyes is what many folks think of as a recharegeable, lower-cost, SF alternative. But the quality isn't the same. Pila comes closer to SF quality than Wolf-Eyes. But can be hard to find. (Bug-Out Gear is the only dealer site I know of that sells Pila flashlights).

Another alternative is to get the Streamlight / Lighthound Scorpion from Lighthound.com.

It's a regular Scorpion, but was altered to run on rechargeable cells and comes with a brighter Strion bulb installed. I can tell you from experience that Lighthound is a grade "A" site.

But yeah, the easiest alternative is to get a Streamlight Strion. Lighthound even sells the SL holster for it.

Last edited:

MTHall51

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight strion.

Same size as 6p.

Metal.

1-1.25 hour runtime.

Tough.

About $90 depending on options.

Also available with piggyback charger, charges spare battery while you use the light.

Same lumens as 6p, maybe a little more.

Excellent beam.

Have you been pretty happy with the Strion so far?
I will keep my eyes open in the classifies on here. I like the 6P in many ways, but sometimes I just get the notion I want something different. I have the same affliction when it comes to blades, but due to budgetary constraints I am gradually settling down to just a couple lights and blades.

MTHall51

Newly Enlightened
I would say the Dereelight CL1H. Yes it is a LED light but quality is very good, there are many module choices(P60 style drop-ins will all fit) and you could easily upgrade to a better/brighter module when they come out. Runs on a 18650 battery with the company's modules.

Or if you want Incan, a 3.7v lamp with a 17670 battery will also work.

Nice looking light. Does it have a good aftermarket support for things like holsters, colored lenses, etc?

MTHall51

Newly Enlightened
Why not an LED 6P?

Brighter light and longer run time.

Also, the Strion is sweet too.

WOW I really have fallen behind in the times here. Didn't know there was a LED version of the 6P. Any idea the lumens/run time on it? A review of it on here somewhere?