CMG Infinity vs Ininity Ultra...

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
...how to tell? Just bought an Infinity (white/black dot) from a member here and that got me thinking about the pre-Gerber Infinity differences. Several hundred posts in the search later, I'm still not finding any easy way to tell the CMG Infinity from the IU - can someone educate me?

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on the product pictures here, the body designs are fairly distinctive. (Edit: Never mind, I'm an idiot. It looks like they both use the same body with no difference in exterior markings - short of cracking open the LED and running tests, I couldn't begin to guess.)

Although now I have an urge to buy a Gerber and upgrade the LED for grins and giggles.

-Medina

Last edited:

DaveG

Enlightened
I think the Ultra model has it stamped on it as a Ultra.The older Infinity,has just Infinity stamped on it.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
DaveG is right. My white led InfUltra has "CMG Infinity Ultra" and my plain Infinitys have only "CMG Infinity". I only have red and green led plain Infinitys, the whites might be different but I doubt it. Coincidentally, I had the UInf in my pocket and the green Inf on the bedside table when I read the post.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
A somewhat unrelated question.

How come people say the CMG version is so much better than the Gerber version?

Is it that much tougher?

paulr

Flashaholic

Is it that much tougher?

Yeah, the CMG built like a tank, it feels absolutely rock solid in your hand. The Gerber version is perfectly functional but looks and feels chintzy by comparison.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Paul said. Actually, the Gerber might be more practical because it can be used as a momentary by twisting out just past the contact and then pressing the body tube like a clicky.

Like the Arc aaa's, we value the CMG's because of the tank-like build. And probably cause you can't get them anymore. The newer import lights are much more efficient with brighter and prettier beams, etc. But, the CMG is a trusted tool. I know it will work when I need it.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yeah, the CMG built like a tank, it feels absolutely rock solid in your hand. The Gerber version is perfectly functional but looks and feels chintzy by comparison.

Yeah the rear twistie seems to have a cheesie factor to it compared the the CMG and early relabeled Gerber Infinity Ultras.

Here is a picture of my early dark green one in the foreground and my later light green one in the background. The early Gerber also carried the light green anodizing.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t98/Patriot222/Picture23.jpg

scottaw

Enlightened
Hmmm, mine doesn't say ultra, or infinity for that matter, just "us gov't" and an NSN number, are all the military ones ultra's?

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think so, most call it the Ultra-G. CountyComm sold those for several years. Mine has the same beam as my regular Ultras. The G's are sorta collectible.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like the Arc aaa's, we value the CMG's because of the tank-like build. And probably cause you can't get them anymore. The newer import lights are much more efficient with brighter and prettier beams, etc. But, the CMG is a trusted tool. I know it will work when I need it.

Also because of the lonnnnnnnnnnng runtimes, at least for the non-Ultra version.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Sounds good, i bought it as an "ultra-G" off BST, glad to know i got the real deal. I kinda bought it as a collectible too.

Yeah, that's a cool one to have. You've got the real deal there. I wish that I had one of them. It's the only ultra version that I don't have out of the four originals..if you include the early Gerber.

KenAnderson

Enlightened
DaveG is right. My white led InfUltra has "CMG Infinity Ultra" and my plain Infinitys have only "CMG Infinity". I only have red and green led plain Infinitys, the whites might be different but I doubt it. Coincidentally, I had the UInf in my pocket and the green Inf on the bedside table when I read the post.

BIGIRON, I have the white LED "CMG Infinity" in a blue body and it is marked the same "CMG Infinity". 40+ hours on a single AA and has been used without failure for 5 years now (I have gone through a few batteries). A must have for the emergency BOB. Mine still has the original pocket clip and the finish is still perfect.

Ken

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is it that much tougher?

The Head twistie is easier to use one handed than the Tail twistie,much more ergonomic in a small light.The large lanyard hole allows for many attachment options and the light can't twist off like a tailcap lanyard hole.Besides,as others have said,the overall package seems better.

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, mine doesn't say ultra, or infinity for that matter, just "us gov't" and an NSN number, are all the military ones ultra's?

As BIGIRON said, the CountyComm Ultra-G's were sold by CountyComm with "US Government" and the National Stock Number printed on it. If I remember correctly, CountyComm also put a HA-III coating on them which made them even more special.