P2D RB100 Question

dinocol

Newly Enlightened
anyone here ran a P2D RB100 for more than 10 mins in Turbo mode? any noticeable effects? and are these effects permanent?

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
I know it gets a lot hotter than my Cree P2D (P4 bin). I ran that more for 10 minutes and no ill effects, but I'm sorry I can't answer your question about the Rebel 100.

Ryan

da.gee

Enlightened
Definitely gets warm. I took their advice and did not run it for more than ten minutes. Heat generally not a good thing but I don't know how hot or how long before damage occurs.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't have one but the Rebels are rated to 150 degree Celcius with luminous maintenance 70% output at 700 mA after 50,000 hours of constant running.

I don't think it ever gets that hot in a Fenix light. There should not be any problem running the light for more then 10 minutes. If you feel the light getting excessively hot or not heating up at all in 10 minutes, don't run the light more then 15 minutes to be safe.

Tremendo

Enlightened
My 2 don't get too hot on turbo. Not compared to other lights. My FF3 on Max, that gets hot. No problems there either. The P2D seems fine.

Enlightened
You'll note the warning specifies in "High ambient temperatures." In other words, if you're outside on a hot night like we had around here this summer (95 degrees even at 10 pm) you might have problems if you put it on turbo and leave it sitting there for a long time. If you're in motion so that air is moving past the light or it's in your hand allowing your body to effectively act as a sort of water cooling system for it then it should probably be fine.

Now that being said, I haven't run my P3D rebel for more than 2-3 minutes at a time in Turbo mode but that is more because I only had the one set of batteries initially and didn't have money to buy more. I have about a dozen more primaries on the way so that is no longer as much of a concern so I expect to become good friends with turbo mode and especially high.

I know I'm twisted, but I'm really looking forward to outshining more or less everyone next weekend when I go camping with the scouts. But, hey, maybe I'll convert a few flashaholics along the way.

Last edited:

Enlightened
Low on mine seems a bit sickly. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's not so much a tint change, though there is that too. The light just looks, I dunno, weird I guess, a bit sickly. Almost maybe even a slight brownish tint if that makes sense. I know that's not the best description of it, but it's the closest I can come up with. Kick it up to medium and that is pretty much gone. High and Turbo have a BEAUTIFUL tint, the best I've ever seen from any flashlight, LED or otherwise.

dinocol

Newly Enlightened
have you run it long on turbo mode? i've read somewhere in the forums that the rebels tint change when its running too long that's why others prefer crees.. pls confirm.. i jst got my p2d rb100 and so far i like it. i jst want to know its limits.. :D

Enlightened
have you run it long on turbo mode? i've read somewhere in the forums that the rebels tint change when its running too long that's why others prefer crees.. pls confirm.. i jst got my p2d rb100 and so far i like it. i jst want to know its limits.. :D

Oh, that I don't know. As I said, I just ordered some new batteries so I haven't had more than a few minutes of turbo but I haven't noticed any tint changes there. If it is changing tint then it is most likely due to their light overheating. I know several people have posted saying they have seen no ill effects from extended periods of turbo.