"Angry Blue" Preceeds LEDs

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when I was a boy... I laugh so hard every time I get to repeat that worn remembrance to my daughter.

More seriously, in the very early stages of vacuum tube development (early 1900's) lack of a high vacuum, erratic production (hand blown envelopes), and impurities would cause those devices to glow colors. When a strong signal was amplified, the tubes would modulate a blue glow, inside; pulsing in step with the signal.

To a lesser degree this can be seen through the small holes on the plates of newer audio, power output tubes. IIRC :D the entire internal space of the first tubes glowed rather than only the space within the tube's plate.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
And in the '50's-60's before the transistor, we had 5 and 7-tube AM radios which allowed the tube filiments to be strung in series for 115VAC, saving the cost of a transformer in the set. The filiments were the first to fail, and every market had a tube tester, and the amateurs built their own from plans in Popular Science or Mechanics. (Simple continuity, with a lamp.) Some of them did glow cool in operation!

Larry

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a "magical" time indeed. To gaze, nay stare, at those beautiful vacuum tubes (thermionic valves). A whole world was ready to be explored and the secrets of the universe could be ascertained if a young boy simply thought.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a five tube 1952 Philco AM radio and the tube glow although I think just the typical yellow is strong enough to provide natural dial backlighting. I work on several KW RF amplifiers for MRI machines and those sucker's are powerful enough so that when one is opened up, you can hold up a florescent lamp about six inches away from the RF strip lines and they will glow nicely on their own without any external connections.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I too have basked in the warm glow of vacuum tubes. BTW, am I admitting that I'm old if I mention the Philco tuning eye?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yes, I too have basked in the warm glow of vacuum tubes. BTW, am I admitting that I'm old if I mention the Philco tuning eye?

I remember the Philco tuning eye! I bought one of those tubes and hooked it up in a little circuit just to see the eye open and close as I modulated the grid with AC hum from my finger. :)

I also built a latch circuit around a 2D21 thyratron tube, a little 9-pin argon-filled tube that "latched" by ionizing the argon, causing it to glow a beautiful purple.

I also remember those hot-chassis 5-tube radios. That was before the days when most AC plugs had a wider pin on the neutral side, if you catch my drift. If I had a nickel for every time I got shocked, I'd be driving a Porsche. :whistle:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I too remember the days when Fleming valves (aka. vacuum tubes) were king.
And I too have been zapped by "the hot chassis phenomenon" while troubleshooting old "hi fi sets" (stereos), televisions, radios, guitar amplifiers, etc.