Anyone ever use sodium hydroxide to get the finish off their lights?

EsthetiX

Enlightened
I was just wondering what would happen if I mixed one of my fenixes with some sodium hydroxide. Would it look good if I did that and polished it?

Grubbster

Enlightened
I was just wondering what would happen if I mixed one of my fenixes with some sodium hydroxide. Would it look good if I did that and polished it?
I use concentrated NaOH to remove anodizing from the reflectors of Gerber infinity lights and it works great. Be very careful though. That stuff can be nasty. :eek:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just use ZEP drain opener from Home Depot to remove the anodizing from my Streamlight and cheaper DX lights. It takes 20 minutes of soaking.

Illum

Flashaholic
where do you find sodium hydroxide?
only place I know is from a chem professor that does annual demonstrations of throwing sodium cakes in a tub of water:green:

B@rt

Flashaholic
Drano is essentially NaOH, I find it is easier to work with if it is dilluted a bit, it gives you better control over the process.

It does in no way effect the durability of the light, the structure of the Al does not change, the Drano just eats away a tiny layer. ;)

legtu

Enlightened
we have a couple of past threads with similar topics that should come up with a forum search... :)

with regards to fenix lights, the aluminum that they use is a bit on the soft-side and removing the ha coating somewhat 'enhances' this 'softness'. ;) it will scratch more easily w/o the coating. on the bright side, they're easy to polish... and re-polish. :whistle:

Last edited:

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you read through the thread greenLED pointed out, you will find info regarding 'Greased Lightning'.
I've yet to try it myself (am looking forward to procuring a tube or two when visiting the US soon :) )
but it sounds safe and effective from what Jumpmaster says. See after post #105.

I still strongly recommend wearing gloves and eye protection until you are thoroughly confident
with the whole process.

sflate

Enlightened
I've used 'Greased Lightning' with excellent results. It is very cheap at Walmart. I've never seen it in a tub. I bought it in a spray bottle (about a quart size) and I think they had a 1 Gallon jug too. I believe it's dilluted Sodium Hydroxide. I soaked the light I did for about 5-10 minutes if I remember correctly. It worked much faster than I thought it would.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it came in a tube like toothpaste.
sflate, now I know what to look for, thanks ;)

Last edited:

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Hooray! I did mine!

What do you think?
(I still need to use some finer gritt sandpaper and re-polish.)

dscf1604ir2.jpg

Latest posts