The Bat Signal

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there,

Ever since i was a kid, i have always been fascinated with Batman, i especially enjoyed watching the Cartoon series that had a good run on the WB network. I hated the movies, however.

Anyway, i have always wondered if it was possible to actually have an image projected from a spotlight...like the Bat signal. I've seen miniature toy projectors in the 80s that projected images on a wall, but i've never seen anything in a larger scale.

So is it possible?
batsign.jpg

P.S. I still wish i was Batman. Except he is a very flawed character...but cool nonetheless.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see why not. We project images for for hundreds of feet on buildings and such all the time.

I suppose you could put a gobo in a Skytracker type light redesigned to be able to focus with an enormous lens.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Batsignal - as it`s done in Gotham City, wouldn`t work in the real world. The Bat silhouette just stuck over the face of one of those massive carbon-arc lamps would just cause the projected spot to be dimmer, since the area of light is so large. If it were a point source (or the silhoette was very far away from the light), sure it`d work - like shadows in the sun. But as it is, it`ll need optics. Big optics.

You could always do it with lasers....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

MichiganMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Tree said:
Plus there's the age old question. How do you signal Batman on a clear night with no clouds?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always cloudy in Gotham, duh.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
when me an a friend were on 4th grade, we though we were going to be superheros /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

we even drew out plans for robitic suits and came up with stupid names /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i always liked the batman cartoons too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Y'know, you just have to admire the genius of the guy: Work at night wearing a dark shadowy outfit, meanwhile, distract the guys who want to shoot at you with an expendable (he's on his third one for pete's sake!) talkative kid in a bright orange outfit with a yellow letter over his heart.

BRILLIANT!!

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
HAH!!! LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

I never thought of Robin that way before. SHEESH...

battman

Newly Enlightened
"P.S. I still wish i was Batman. Except he is a very flawed character...but cool nonetheless. "

LEDagent- maybe flawed, but how 'bout that flaw-less beam?
Must be a surefire...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thinkFlashlights01

Enlightened
The Batsignal - as it`s done in Gotham City, wouldn`t work in the real world. The Bat silhouette just stuck over the face of one of those massive carbon-arc lamps would just cause the projected spot to be dimmer, since the area of light is so large. If it were a point source (or the silhoette was very far away from the light), sure it`d work - like shadows in the sun. But as it is, it`ll need optics. Big optics.

You could always do it with lasers....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

*You mean tungsten, not carbon.