Nuclear Bunker Torch Show

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question: What does one do when exploring a very small decomissioned Nuclear Watch Bunker in Autumnal England.

Answer: Have fun with torches!!!

We used A Blue ARC LS First run, A Modded Green ARC LS with a McFlood, A green stock Inova X1 first gen, an Orb Raw Red/Orange and finally a MiniMaglite with NiteIze red led dropin.

(I.E. just what I had on me at the time!!! :whistle: - I can't help it if I have big pockets!!)

Enjoy...

1641118385_0f234df878_o.jpg

The Post painted by light.

1641118363_776cb701e9_o.jpg

Big Ears and Halo.

1641118325_66881c3550_o.jpg

Me standing on the Hatch ( I really must go on a diet!! )

1641118293_39e0bf9dc9_o.jpg

The type of bunker in royal blue lux 1 light.

All pics were exposed for 30 secs and taken on a Nikon D80 ( Not mine sadly!)

This was immense fun and I suspect there'll be more soon.

Watch this space.

Be lucky...

WNG

Enlightened
Sweet!
:thumbsup:

I've been trying to create shots like these with my Canon PowerShot SD-450, but so far unsuccessful.
:(

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
We're still experimenting, but we hope to start animation scenes like I've found on youtube, etc. You need a good floody torch and it needs to always point at the camera lens.

Next time we are going to use keyring fauxtons with different coloured leds.

I intend to do some more in a couple of weekends time.

Be lucky...

WNG

Enlightened
Sadly, Canon ditched the shutter speed option on my model, and probably most of the newer releases.

I'll have to dust off my old S330 (man that thing is big compared to current offerings) and experiment with it.

--------Updated-----------

Well, I must correct myself, glad I tinkered with my old camera.....while comparing it to my latest one, I discovered Canon didn't remove the long shutter option afterall. Just buried in their new interface and wasn't obvious when disabled. (read the manual, stupid!)
Yay! Now to try some long exposure LED and LASER pics.

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's exactly what happened to us!!

New Nikon = not quite up to spec with the U.I. and we could only find the 30 sec exposure, not the B shutter option.

Found it when at home - more torchy pix for us!!!

Nice idea with the laser too.

Be lucky...

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 'Secret' Nuclear bunker - Kelveden Hatch - nope. That one's much much bigger. Though that is very worth a visit too, even if they always keep the lights on (H & S you know).

This is just a small Royal Observer Corps. ( R O C ) short stay and observe bunker. As a matter of interest, this one did send its communications to the hub at Kelveden Hatch, as did all those in the South East.

You'll find it in Beaconsfield, just out of town and by the cemetry.

Google it.

Don't go alone! (I don't need to tell you to take a torch do I? :naughty: )

Be lucky...

Last edited:

stevoman

Newly Enlightened
The 'Secret' Nuclear bunker - Kelveden Hatch - nope. That one's much much bigger. Though that is very worth a visit too, even if they always keep the lights on (H & S you know).

This is just a small Royal Observer Corps. ( R O C ) short stay and observe bunker. As a matter of interest, this one did send its communications to the hub at Kelveden Hatch, as did all those in the South East.

You'll find it in Beaconsfield, just out of town and by the cemetry.

Google it.

Don't go alone! (I don't need to tell you to take a torch do I? :naughty: )

Be lucky...

Wow, that's weird. I've been in the bunker in Beaconsfield, and it doesn't look much like that... There's a notable lack of deckchairs, and the entrance is significantly different.

I'm beginning to wonder if there are *two* bunkers there, and one of them is really secret :eek:.

Great pictures BTW

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stevoman, that's the only ROC post Bunker I know of in Beaconsfield. It did look like someone had lived there for a time. The cupboards were well stocked with tins and dried pasta, lots of bottles of mineral water, a biscuit jar etc, but the newest sell by date was 1998!!! Some of the tins had corroded and leaked (The place smells BAD!!).
I happen to know that a few people have visited it over the last few years, just check out the Urban Exploration forums, but I don't know when the deck chairs were placed there.
You're never further than five miles from a ROC post in England so your one could be a different one. And as far as I know they all have the same hatch entrance ( at least all the ones I have been to have...).
Thanks for taking time to post.

Be lucky...

stevoman

Newly Enlightened
Stevoman, that's the only ROC post Bunker I know of in Beaconsfield. It did look like someone had lived there for a time. The cupboards were well stocked with tins and dried pasta, lots of bottles of mineral water, a biscuit jar etc, but the newest sell by date was 1998!!! Some of the tins had corroded and leaked (The place smells BAD!!).
I happen to know that a few people have visited it over the last few years, just check out the Urban Exploration forums, but I don't know when the deck chairs were placed there.
You're never further than five miles from a ROC post in England so your one could be a different one. And as far as I know they all have the same hatch entrance ( at least all the ones I have been to have...).
Thanks for taking time to post.

Be lucky...

Ahh it seems there must be two bunkers there - the other one probably isn't ROC, it's some kind of "civil defence" bunker or somesuch (actually probably defence for the councillors, as it's under an old law court or council building). It's also still in use by various groups permitted by the council - mainly as it's fairly secure unused space that can't be redeveloped.

The odd thing is that it's also just opposite the graveyard in the old town - I must have passed quite close to that ROC one without knowing it :)

My curiosity has been piqued now!

luminata

Enlightened
Great pics. More please !!

We would never be able to have those things open to the public in the U.S. Kids would get into them and trash the hell out of them or someone would get stuck in one and die or soemthing then the lawyers would ban them

God only knows what people do in those bunkers (hence the smell ):faint:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, if more people knew about them, I'm sure they would get trashed!!

It's not that they are open to the public per se, it's just that they are left open, and nobody cares about them except a handful of Urban explorers and some historians - some are on common ground, some private, some sealed forever ( I.E. filled in or demolished) and some just locked.

That's half the fun, nearly 2000 identical bunkers country wide, and you never know what is going to greet you at the bottom of the ladder!!

If I had one it would make a great place for setting up a torch modding workshop.

Incidentally, it's a lot more spooky at night - 'natch!

Be lucky...