Roxio DLA is driving me NUTS!!!

greenLED

Flashaholic
The stupid thing quit working properly a couple of weeks ago after I "updated" :green: my XP. I patched DLA to the most recent release, but it still refuses to work properly.

1. It does all the writing to the DVD (or it acts like it does) and then...

a- it won't eject the DVD, or
b- I get a blue screen of death

2. When it ejects the DVD, it's unreadable (or partially readable) after I insert it.

A couple of times now I've gotten the blue screen as I'm shutting down my PC, after burning something onto a DVD.

Any ideas (other than throwing my computer out the window?).

Here's what I want:
A simple and reliable way of doing daily and weekly backups of my stuff onto rewriteable DVD's.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Last edited:

gorn

Enlightened
I gave up Roxio about the time XP service pack 2 came out. It never worked right after that. I have mainly used Nero since I got my first 1x CD burner. Nero has changed a lot over the years but it's still a good burning program.

One word of caution. Using any CD or DVD RW discs may end up being a problem for you. They can go bad very easily. I have even found that after doing an update of the burning program I used to make a RW disc on it would no longer read.

Since CD's and DVD have gotten so cheap I don't even mess with RW's. Even if they weren't cheap, having been burned by RW's on a couple of occasions I won't use them.

Enlightened
Yeah, unless you're planning on archiving them offsite or something, screw the CDRWs and just use a flash drive. :)

Other than that, trust me when I say that Sonic DLA SUCKS. I do, or rather DID, tech support for Dell and you wouldn't BELIEVE the number of problems I saw that thing cause.

You could upgrade to Vista, it has packet writing capabilities (what DLA uses) built in to the OS. You could also try completely removing Sonic and reinstalling it with all the latest patches. If you go that route, I believe they have a cleaner utility on their website you can run to make sure you get rid of all the bits. Make sure to reboot at least once after removing it and before you reinstall it to. Or you could go with another app like Nero with it's InCD. There are others too, of course.

But I would say going with the flash drive or upgrading to Vista are your best bets.