Rechargables in MiniMag AA LED

CompFreak247

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a MiniMag 2 Cell AA LED, and I was wondering if I could use my 2500 mah Energizer NiMH rechargables. If so, how does the battery life/beam brightness compare to standard alkalines?

Thanks,
-CompFreak247

Last edited:

walkabout

Newly Enlightened
According to the insert that came with my MMLED 2AA, only alkalines should be used. Anything else (in theory at least) voids the warranty.

It's possible that the construction of rechargeables makes it possible to damage the LED. I assume this could happen if the covering of the battery case is damaged and causes a short or something (?).

However: I have been using a variety of NiMHs for the past year and haven't had the slightest problem. Runtime and output seem good, though I can't offer any hard numbers. Rechargeables certainly let you top off your power source before the light goes out on low voltage without warning.

CompFreak247

Newly Enlightened
According to the insert that came with my MMLED 2AA, only alkalines should be used. Anything else (in theory at least) voids the warranty.

It's possible that the construction of rechargeables makes it possible to damage the LED. I assume this could happen if the covering of the battery case is damaged and causes a short or something (?).

However: I have been using a variety of NiMHs for the past year and haven't had the slightest problem. Runtime and output seem good, though I can't offer any hard numbers.

Himm... sounds good, but I'm not sure if I want to void the warranty. Anyone else with info runtime/output comparisons?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Ask yourself this:
How would they even know what batteries you feed your lights? Unless it's an alkaline that leaks and gets stuck and you send it in, how would they find out?

Maglite recommends alkaline because they have a contract with Duracell (may have recently switched to Energizer), and they get paid a lot of money to include their batteries with every Maglite, and recommend them for use.

lumenal

Enlightened
Go ahead and use your rechargeables.

I have used NiMH in all of my MiniMag LEDs, both 2AA and 3AA, since they first came out, (a little over a year ago).

I've never had a problem. I even use rechargeables in my NiteIze'd 1 watt/IQ switch regular MiniMag.

You'll find you use your lights more freely with "guilt-free" lumens available. :whistle:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using 2500 mAh NiMH Energizer batteries in my Mag 2AA LED and never had any problem. I left it on the other day for about 2.5 hours continuously and did not notice any dimming.

CompFreak247

Newly Enlightened
I'm using 2500 mAh NiMH Energizer batteries in my Mag 2AA LED and never had any problem. I left it on the other day for about 2.5 hours continuously and did not notice any dimming.

Great! thanks too all who responded, I guess I'll use them. Sweet, my first time with guilt-free lumens! (Before, my X5 ate up those cr123s, which were expensive when ordering small quantities)

Side note: I learned the hard way that even a standard minimag has plenty of power when focused into a beam the size of my cornea. I'm hoping that a 3 watt LED can help further the blindness :grin2:

-CompFreak247