Just tell me what flashlight to buy!!!

anon

Newly Enlightened
Holy cow, there is a ton of info. Too much.

I want an LED flashlight, $50 or less. Fit in a front pocket.

AA or AAA preferred, but not required.

Just a good quality light, that will let me work on a car (close work, pencil-thin overly-bright beam sucks), and find my (small) dog at night (70 feet max, pitch black wooded backyard).

I'm OK with plastic. Holding it in my teeth while working happens sometimes.

I'm sick of cheap lights, or 2AA Mini Mags.

I really don't want to know everything there is to know about flashlights. You've all already done that. Now use your powers for good, and guide me. :thumbsup:

Duff72

Newly Enlightened
look at olight t15 it is AA and about 90 lumens good build quality 50.00
very happy with mine also look at their t10 model uses 123 battery (about 115 lumens) light is slightly smaller

anon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I don't want to go through the work of modding, since I'm sure that the retail market has a tool that already meets my needs.

Already, there is info overlaod on flashlights for me. What does "reverse-clicky" mean?

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. I don't want to go through the work of modding, since I'm sure that the retail market has a tool that already meets my needs.

Already, there is info overlaod on flashlights for me. What does "reverse-clicky" mean?

Reverse clickie - light turns on after the botton is clicked i.e. as your finger is releasing the button

Forward clickie - the light turns on as you are pushing down on the button. Usually associated with a momentary function whereby a little pressure on the button will turn the light on and stay on as long as the pressure is applied. Further pressure activates the click and the light stays on.

Check out the Fenix AA's at https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_69_50&osCsid=e742d63f5804afc27f42e869d26b13f0

Check out the O-light AA at http://www.batteryjunction.com/t15-olight-aa.html

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy anon,
I understand. Any of the lights listed above will work well for you. They are all high quality, versatile lights. If you buy one of the Fenix lights from the fenix-store.com you will have 30 days to try it out and see if you like it. If not, you only pay return shipping, and then you will get a refund or exchange. You can't loose with a deal like that.

The L1D-CE single AA light is excellent. The L2D-CE two cell AA has double the run time and a slightly brighter beam on the turbo level (extra high) .... it's also longer (because it uses 2 AA batteries), so it might not fit in your pocket as well as the single AA.

I'm going to get the JetBeam light mentioned by Dr.K as Christmas presents for my brother-in-law and nephew. It's an excellent value, although I think it might be closer to $36-38 delivered.

So, don't worry about it. Look at the lights listed above, pick one that seems to fit, order it..... and get ready to be amazed!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Another suggestion for the Fenix Cree/Rebel AA lights. The Jetbeam CL-E V2.0, Olight T15 and Lumapower LM31 might also be a good choice.

:welcome:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2D-CE two cell AA has double the run time and a slightly brighter beam on the turbo level (extra high)
I would describe that difference as EXTREMELY brighter

small/short light NEEDED --> L1D
anything else --> L2D

john46268

Newly Enlightened
I second the LumaPower LM31 and its on sale for $31 before the 5% discount!
Right now at BatteryJunction. Two Levels Low and high. Very well made.

LumaPower LM31 80 lumens 1 x AA with Seoul SSC P4 LED

http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-lm301.html

5% off code: cpf2006

:whistle:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would describe that difference as EXTREMELY brighter

small/short light NEEDED --> L1D
anything else --> L2D
Lol, yes, you're right yellow... the L2D-CE really is much brighter on turbo.... and one of my favorite lights. It sounds like it might be one of your favorites too. :)

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have L2D-CE and really like it, but recently Olight is making a good light and with more modes unfortunately no 2xAA from Olight :(

Saiga

Enlightened
i recently got a surefire G2L from opticsplanet.com for $55 shipped. it uses 2 cr123 batteries, throws 85 lumens IIRC, forward clicky, synthetic body, and has been very favorably reviewed here. surefire is pretty widely considered the best light out there,it's US manufactured and warrantied for life.

KingGlamis

Banned
First off, welcome to CPF Anon! Lots of good suggestions here. One thing to keep in mind... for working on cars you're going to want a light that you can set down and it won't roll away. That's the only thing I don't like about my new Fenix.