My Fenix P3D RB100 Review w/beam shots

KingGlamis

Banned
After countless hours of research I finally bought a light that is, to me, on the expensive side. I bought the light from the Fenix-Store and was like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for it to arrive. What I got was the Fenix P3D RB100, as you probably figured out from the title. :D The following review is from a flashaholic that does not claim to be an expert and does not own any expensive lights. Just my "two cents" about my new purchase.

First off, while I knew it was small, holding it my hand made me realize it is really small. After this purchase I don't think I could EDC a single-cell light other than for a keychain light. But small is good in some respects, I just think anything smaller I would have a hard time holding on to when used a lot.

The quality is great, threads are perfect. The bezel that you have to turn to switch modes is a little on the tight side, but I guess better tight than loose, and it will probably loosen up over time (I just got the light last night). Took me a little while to remember which way to turn the bezel since it is not marked, but I got the hang of it. The tailcap switch similarly took a few tries to remember the half-push to switch modes thing, but I got it now. I still think SOS mode is pointless, but all of the other modes are useful. Low is plenty for night walking, medium good for most tasks, high excellent for any task and turbo is just awesome. Strobe is crazy. I would NOT want to be on the receiving end of the turbo strobe (and a police officer told me the same thing today, he was VERY impressed with this light and had me print out the page from the Fenix-Store so he and his fellow officers could all buy a P3D).

So now to the beam shots and more of my impressions of the light output. To spice it up a little I'm going to also show you beam shots of my SuperFire WF-501D taken at the same time. This is a 4X123A light with an incan bulb and is supposed to be 180-200 lumens (I've heard much higher claims but don't believe them). So this should be a pretty good LED vs Incan shootout (the P3D is rated at 200 lumens).

First off, the P3D shining on my bedroom wall. Very bright hotspot. But while it has a lot of side-spill/flood, the flood is about 25-50% as bright as the hot spot.

100_6467.jpg

Same shot with the WF-501D. This light is very floody and seems to put out all of its light evenly.

100_6466.jpg

Two more shots, this time with the lights pointed at the end of the bed.

The P3D.

100_6468.jpg

The 501.

100_6470.jpg

Next up are outside wall shots. P3D first, 501 second. I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

100_6390.jpg

100_6389.jpg

These next shots I apologize for, as I am using my daughters cheapo camera. But you can still sort of see the difference.

This is the P3D shining at some very tall palm trees near my house. It actually outthrew the 501, as you will see in the second pic (but the 501 had a much wider flood at that distance). It's much more impressive in person, the camera couldn't really capture what it really looked like.

100_6397.jpg

EDIT: OOPS, the pic below is the same as the one above and I can't figure out how to edit the pic link. So see my next post for the correct pic that should be here.

100_6397.jpg

In this street test you can clearly see that the P3D outthrows the 501 (look at the white truck in the distance). But the 501 has so much more flood that it almost looks like I pointed the light at the ground (both lights were pointed right at the reflective street sign).

100_6400.jpg

100_6399.jpg

Well that's about it. I wish I had a better camera to take better pics. But I can say I am 100% happy with the P3D RB100. It's a lot different than th 501 that I am used to using. For some things is it better, for others, worse. I'm amazed at the throw of this light. So small yet I can light up the neighbors palm trees great.

Signed,
A happy Fenix owner

Last edited:

KingGlamis

Banned
I got some better palm tree shots tonight with a different camera. This looks more like it does in person.

The P3D...

IMGP0123.jpg

And the 501...

IMGP0124.jpg

22HERTZ

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on your new toy.
I really like the beam pattern:twothumbs

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
KingGlamis, I am glad you like your new light. I think that the P3D R is one of the most impressive lights I have ever bought as well. For lighting up things within 12' (most of what I need), no light I have ever owned does better.

Other than the U2, I do not think a better UI has ever been put into a light, and into a light so small, that will also tailstand. Plus, its tint is the bext of any light that I have ever owned.

Had SF made the light, we would never here the end of its greatness. Enjoy your light!

Last edited:

Quickstrike

Newly Enlightened
KingGlamis, I am glad you like your new light. I think that the P3D R is one of the most impressive lights I have ever bought as well. For lighting up things within 12' (most of what I need), no light I have ever owned does better.

I concur!

Amazing little light.

Ideal color and shape.

Steve-11

Newly Enlightened
KingGlamis,

Thanks for the review and all the screenshots. This is exactly one of the flashlights I'm considering. And now, I'm considering it even more... :grin2:

KingGlamis

Banned
Here are some more beam shots from tonight.

Distance to tree is about 25 feet.

This is on low, which Fenix claims is 11 lumens. You can barely see the light.

IMGP0174.jpg

On medium you can clearly see the light, a claimed 50 lumens.

IMGP0175.jpg

On High it gets noticably brighter, 112 claimed lumens.

IMGP0176.jpg

And on Turbo, a claimed 200 lumens, it gets brighter yet.

IMGP0177.jpg

This is an amazing little torch. It outthrows my powerful incan, the WF-501D. But at close range, like this 25-foot test, the 501 flat out kills the P3D. See for yourself...

IMGP0180.jpg

I love taking beam shots, just because they are fun and informative. :thumbsup:

Lexus

Enlightened
I love taking beam shots, just because they are fun and informative. :thumbsup:
They are way more informative than the white wall shots we see here usually.
And your last shot really shows the superior color rendition of incans. In the LED pics, the brown of the tree looks grey to me.

Steve-11

Newly Enlightened
And your last shot really shows the superior color rendition of incans. In the LED pics, the brown of the tree looks grey to me.

I don't know if I agree. The LED pics look pretty good to me. Many conifers do indeed have gray bark. The incan shot looks to warm/golden.

In general, I dislike incan color rendition. Way too yellow/warm.

But, to each his own! :)

copperfox

Enlightened
I prefer floody, warm tinted lights, so my opinion is that the 501D wins over the P3D. ....Then I looked up the specs of the 501D: 15 MINUTES to 50% and only 30 minutes runtime? Sheesh, not worth it at all...

cat

Enlightened
Thanks, man! Excellent pictures! :D Now I like my P3D even more. :D

The Wildfire 501D really does better at the lighting-up-the-yard scene though; something I need. I'm wondering - again - if I should go get a WE Rattlesnake + EO-9 - or one of these Wildfires while I'm waiting to get a Mag mod organized. But now I feel like going for one of those olive P3D's again. :laughing:
I do have to go there anyway; I need to get an AA fenix for my niece. :naughty: