Surefire U2 and Rcr123a batteries

GregU2

Newly Enlightened
I'm fairly new to CPF but now that I'm here, I can't stop reading and learning. I've loved flashlights for many, many years. My first one was a Mini-mag AA. Things have sure come a long way since then. Now to my question. I'm thinking of buying a Tenergy RCR123A 3.0V 750mAh Rechargeable LiFePO4 Li-Ion Batteries and charger, and was wondering if anyone has tried them with a Surefire U2. I'd like to blaze some guilt free lumens.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi GregU2, welcome to CPF.

:welcome:

Your question has been posted several times here, may I suggest that you go to the Google Search box on top of the page and type "SF U2 RCR123".

You will discover some 1,000 places where you can find an answer.:grin2:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main problem appears to be the inner bore of the body. Most rechargeables just don't fit. If you have the light and the batteries you simply try them: if they go in it's OK otherways you forget about it. This is what I did with my U2 (and forgot about it...). None of my RCR123 would go in. But in case you buy on purpose batteries and charger just to discover that they are useless, this is another story.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2 does not take RCR123s. They will probably damage the light permanently...

They do take a single 17670 (rechargeable, same size as 2 cr123s), the older ones can use a single 18650 (fatter and higher capacity than a 17670).

There are a lot of threads about this if you need more information.

Sverre