Novatac 120p locater flash runtime

Dr.K

Enlightened
Hi all,

Does anyone know how long a CR123a primary will operate the "locater flash" setting?

For those without one: locater flash is a barely visible flash every three seconds

I can't seem to find this info anywhere.
My guess:

it is the lowest setting of 0.3 lumens.
The stated runtime at this setting is 240 hours.

The flash is way shorter than one second, I'll guess 1/10 of a sec.

put 3 seconds of blank time between every tenth and you get about "2 seconds" that the light is on every 1 minute.

Two minutes of time on every hour.

48 minutes on every day.

240h x 60min = 14400 minutes

14400min / 48min/day = 300 days.

just a ballpark guess here.

BTW, I absoulutely love this little light. I recommend one for any true flashaholic.

KenAnderson

Enlightened
One CPF member is running a test to determine this very thing. Last I heard his light has run for more than 11 months continously and was still going strong. You might find the thread in search.

Ken

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the locater flash is running at the NovaTac's lowest level, that would actually be .08 lumens. So X4 your original estimates!

paulr

Flashaholic
In practice a tritium marker is much better than those annoying locator flashes if you want to find the light in the dark.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Dont forget novatac has a much more efficient led in it I'm betting it lasts 2 times as long as the hds does.

slvoid

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if it matters that it's more efficient because it's driving the flash with the same current. You'll just get a brighter flash with the same LED.

My "new" (serial #14485) is actually blinking once every 2 seconds, whereas everyone is saying 3 seconds.