Advise Needed, New LEO Light

n9zez

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I currently carry a Inova T3 flashlight. I am a Deputy Sheriff and I carry this flashlight on my belt as a "backup" light. I was wanting to get a new flashlight that has better throw and brightness. However, it cannot be much larger than the T3 or it will be too uncomfortable to carry. I have read several awesome reviews on this site about the Tiablo A9, however I cannot find any pictures comparing the size of the flashlight to another flashlight that I know.

Can anyone offer up some advice.

Thanks in advance.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tiablo is noticeably larger than a T3. A bit longer but much larger head diameter. While the MRV/ Tiablo/ DBS lights will definitely win at throwing against almost any other LED light, there are some other options that give decent throw.

Most of the Surefire 6P-like lights with dropins work well and have decent throw. So if you have an old 6P (or G2, 9P, etc etc) a Cree dropin will do well.
You can get a Wolf Eyes dropin, or a whole Wolf Eyes light with dropin from PTS.

Surefire has their newer SSC dropin included 6P or G2.
Lumapower has a decent sized light in their M1. The M1 is bit larger than a T3 but not by much mostly in head diameter. (Do note the Lumapower M1's as well at tiablos use reverse clickies still. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. So they're a bit harder to use for brief lighting because you have to click all the way instead of just apply pressure to get the light on.)
Both are at BatteryJunction. Plus, like PTS they give a CPF discount so they're worth supporting... see the CPF specials post at the marketplace for more details.

Also a notable LEO mention is the Pelican 7060. I haven't played with one personally but they supposedly throw well. You can find those all over the place.

There are further options if you're willing to mess around with LiIon Batteries but there are drawbacks. If you're thinking of a dependable backup light primaries are the way to go imho.

:welcome:

n9zez

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the prompt replies!

The only surefire that I have is the Z2 Combat Light. After seeing the Tiablo next to the mini mag, I can clearly see that it is too big! That flashlight has some girth!

The Pelican looks like it is a bit large as well, not so much in diameter but in length.

The Cl1H looks interesting.... I cannot find the Lumens on it though. Also, it says it takes the single battery only, which I believe is the rechargeable one... Can you use 123a's?

The Lumapower M1-R looks pretty good. I cannot find a price on it as their website needs some work.

Thanks

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
The P60-compatible LED drop-ins will work on the Z2. Additionally, Surefire's own P60L (LED P60) is currently only sold in the G2L or 6PL, but it is not altogether too expensive.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh hell - looks like I can sign next month's paycheck over to PTS now.

-Medina

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Dereelight's module can run at up to 8.4v input. They don't state output because every LED has a slightly different output. It does have 100+ lumen output. The 3/5 mode module would have the most output due to the more efficient LED used but might be too complicated to be used in a stressful situation. The two stage module would be suitable for your application.

Lumapower M1-R at batteryjunction is $90

There are also many P60 LED Drop-ins that will fit your Z2. IMO the best is the Malkoffdevices Drop-in.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the 7060. I don't think it's that big and it's extremely bright. Plus it's purpose-built for LE work.

While not an LEO, I own one and it's great. PLus I don't have to charge any lithium cells.

n9zez

Newly Enlightened
I found this combo for the Gladius and it comes with an interesting holster for duty belt use.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/blniglfl.html

Also, How much larger is the pelican than the t3? Nobody happen to have both and can post a pic do you??

Thanks for all of your time and expertise!

USM0083

Enlightened
Thanks for the prompt replies!

The only surefire that I have is the Z2 Combat Light. After seeing the Tiablo next to the mini mag, I can clearly see that it is too big! That flashlight has some girth!

The Pelican looks like it is a bit large as well, not so much in diameter but in length.

The Cl1H looks interesting.... I cannot find the Lumens on it though. Also, it says it takes the single battery only, which I believe is the rechargeable one... Can you use 123a's?

The Lumapower M1-R looks pretty good. I cannot find a price on it as their website needs some work.

Thanks

I carry a G2Z with a Cree dropin in a V70 holster on my weakside behind my radio, but I put my Z2 bezel on it for a smoother draw out of the V70.
My issued light is a 8AX in a SF leather holder on my strongside, behind my holster. However, I carry my Tiablo A8S in it's place. It fits the 8AX holder, is shorter and lighter than the 8AX, is much brighter with better throw. I'm running it with the forward clicky (momentary high/click on) and a 18650 battery, for about 2 1/2 hours run time. I use it every night and recharge it every 10 days. The G2Z provides gives me a tactical light/backup with about 2/3rds the brightness and half the throw of the Tiablo.

I also have a Quiglight in my shirt pocket for writing in reduced light. I just picked up a Fenix L2D which has really good throw for it's size. It's as good as my G2Z but not as bright. I use it mostly when searching indoors on low and med brightness. The strobe mode is useful for bothering my coworkers. :poke:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the Wolf Eyes D2AX HO Cree Defender Tactical Flashlight with the Cree LED Q Bin 2-mode drop-in from Mike at PTS. This thing is bright (190 lumens) with a two level high/low forward tactical clickie. Very good throw and bright spill. It is only 5.5 inches long and built like a tank. Its fit and finish are perfect. You can feel substance, quality, and balance when you hold it in your hand. It has one of the best strike bezels I've seen for self defense. The threads are smooth, and it takes 2 x cr123a batteries. I got it with the H17 Wolf Eyes holster (which can be used quick detach), and the whole order came to under $100.00 with the CPF discount. I would highly recommend this as a duty light.

dsc00054cw9.jpg

dsc00055tw2.jpg

High at 3 feet. Very close to what it looks like to my eyes. Bright!
dsc00057zj2.jpg

n9zez

Newly Enlightened
Wow, so far the Defender looks like the brightest light for it size. Anyone else have any experience with this light or manufacturer?

Monocrom, thanks for the heads up about the Blackhawk Holster.

n9zez

Newly Enlightened
USM

I used to carry the Z2 in the V70 holster.... That thing holds a flashlight like a hostage!

Monocrom

Thanks for the heads up about the Blackhawk holster, it indeed looked interesting. Plus, being on the Sheriffs Department, brown is the preferred color of a holster.

Bond

I really like this light that you have put up here. Does anyone else have this flashlight and if so what are your opinions about the quality and brightness. It just seems too cheap in price compared to some others that I am used to. Keep in mind, I am a long time collector of flashlights, but only in big commercial names.....if that makes sense.

Thanks for the continuous support..

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also carry Surefire lights (see my signature), so I am very familiar with high quality. The Defender is not a Surefire, but rates very close in the quality and ruggedness department. I get the same feeling of substance, balance, and quality in my hand that I do with a Surefire in my hand. The knurling is not quite as aggressive, but is very sufficient. I really like this light, and would not hesitate for a moment to depend on it in any situation.

Rob Bond

USM

Bond

I really like this light that you have put up here. Does anyone else have this flashlight and if so what are your opinions about the quality and brightness. It just seems too cheap in price compared to some others that I am used to. Keep in mind, I am a long time collector of flashlights, but only in big commercial names.....if that makes sense.

Thanks for the continuous support..

Last edited: