Resonant (shotgun) (organ pipe) Long Distance Microphone???

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Back in the '60s when I was a kid my dad was wanting to make a "shotgun" mic he saw in Popular Mechanics or Popular Science or similar magazine.
it consisted of a bundle of pipes, each a different length. It had a collector where the microphone is (bowl?) on one end and the other ends were open.
Does anyone know where I can get plans for one of these or know anything about it? TIA

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to your public library and see if they have The Readers Guide to Periodical Literature Retrospective. It's an index of popular magazines that covers up to the early 1980's. Take some time and you should be able to find the article.

Most of the sources I found on the web have plans for parabolic mikes and not the same directional mike you're talking about. If I remember the same article, I knew a whole bunch of people who "almost" built it, if you know what I mean. That project was talked about an awful lot but I never found anyone who actually put one together. The plans I recall had the tubes arranged in a circular or spiral pattern with the shorter tubes on the outside, longer ones in the center. Seems to me the whole thing was assembled inside a funnel and the microphone element was in the spout of the funnel.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember that exact article--probably was Popular Science (that was what we had at our house).

I was probably 10 or so at at the time--basically it was a series of tubes cut to wave length of the sound that was wanted to be captured.

The tubes were probably from 6" to about 40" inches in length. There where probably 8 or so tubes spiraled around the longest central tube--Microphone end was just a cut down aluminum funnel.

The lengths, I don't know if they were fundamental, 1/2, or 1/4 wave length tubes--Looking at this website (Note: Chart units are in Feet) (since I am too lazy to do the calculations myself), I would guess the tubes were cut to fundamental frequencies and the tubes were probably an inch (or a bit bigger) in diameter.

Tubing, at that time, was probably made of metal--but I would probably give PVC tubing a shot and see how it works out.

Don't remember anything about the microphone itself.

If you can find a library with microfilm (or other archives) of old PopSci magazines, you can probably find the article pretty quickly (try ~1965-1974 first).

From doing a quick look around the Internet--it looks like people are using parabolic reflectors to build directional mikes these days (supposed to be better audio response).

I recently purchased a pretty cheap (mono) microphone that does a pretty good job at picking out mid-range sounds (better than a video camera's microphone).

Overall, it is about 12" long, and probably too short to be considered a "real" shotgun microphone--but it does work pretty well for $50.

The "normal" mode seems to pickup sounds about as well as the human ear (normal levels) and the "tele" level does somewhat better (and is more directional). Normal mode sounds pretty nice (I use it for recording our children's concerts). Tele mode is less "warm" (I use this for their sporting events to hear the splashing of water and such) and can easily pickup the zoom motor noise on my old 8mm Sony video camera (also can hear a little bit of hiss during quiet moments). You have to be careful when handling the cable--it picks up any movement. I used a mono-to-stereo adapter for my camera to get even sound on both channels.

I would give this microphone a shot if you need some better recording outside and want something to "play with" (use in parabolic reflector and such).

-Bill

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've used both professional shotgun (hypercardiod) mics as well as parabolics, and I've generally had better results with the parabolics. The shotgun principle DOES work but the pickup pattern isn't as crisp as it is with a decent-sized parabolic.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Chmsam. Thanks for the tip on the library. In the days of the web, I forgot there is such a resource. Yep, I know several PPL that "almost" built it.

BB. You're right. At the time tubing was metal. I agree on trying PVC. That's what brought it up in the first place. Thanks for the tip on the wavelengths. I wonder if one tube resonates at it's fundamental and several overtones to give wider response. If so it seems a few tubes placed at strategic fundamentals would cover enough of the audio spectrum to make it effective.

PhotonWrangler. Somehow I KNEW you'd weigh in on this one! :thumbsup: I just wanted to experiment with the multi-resonant thing as a project. I MAY mess with a parabolic also.
Thanks everyone

Brock

Flashaholic
I have used many different mics as well and I would second the choice of parabolic as well for long distance mic'ing. They are amazingly tight and can still have great sound reproduction. One of the neat things we did in school was shoot across campus, about a quarter mile to a building. We hit a pane of glass and could easily make out everything that was being said in the room.