L2D has to go..........rant

Steve Curtis

Newly Enlightened
After owning an L2D rebel 100 for just one month its has to go.
when it was first delivered i thought i could live with the interface but i just cant ...........it annoys me everything I use it from the stupid flash on start up the to fact that UI is just so unusable in most situations .

if i could turn it off and then it would turn back on to the last level used, i think i could live it with but find myself just using it or turbo all the time which is just pointless for a multi level light.

It could have so easily been my perfect EDC /work light , the tint is perfect, the beam is faultless with throw and spill , the battery life is good and the power it can produce is outstanding BUT that UI is the killer ......

Please Fenix ,change the UI

now the quest is on for a replacement, im thinking of an L1 ,any other suggestions for a double AA or single Cr123 ?

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not that bad, I can cycle between low and high, without SOS-Strobe-medium.
I just switch it on and turn the bezel to switch to high or to get back to low. I NEVER switch levels with the button. And I always know if I start on turbo or low, I just check the bezel if it's fully tightened or now... It's that easy.

Saiga

Enlightened
i feel the same way. i have two fenix's, a single mode and a two mode, and that's as far as i'll go. they have a couple lights i'd buy in a heartbeat if it wasn't loaded with all the (IMO) extra crap.

Steve Curtis

Newly Enlightened
It's not that bad, I can cycle between low and high, without SOS-Strobe-medium.
I just switch it on and turn the bezel to switch to high or to get back to low. I NEVER switch levels with the button. And I always know if I start on turbo or low, I just check the bezel if it's fully tightened or now... It's that easy.

the low is too low plus the annoying flash and then turbo .
so all i use is turbo.

Basically the UI is useless ,using low and turbo on a 6 mode flashlight is just silly IMHO :thumbsdow

if i need very low and very high i use my NS raw but thats too nice to get bashed up when fixing a car or in my garage.

it pains me even more because Fenix would have such a stunning flashlight if the UI was improved

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well yes, but what are you searching for? Give an example of a UI that would be good for you.

The L1 for example is a two-level flashlight, the low is 10 "surefire lumens". The Fenix L1D CE has about 10 lumens on low too. The High level on L1 has about 65 lumens (but they are more concentrated, and surefire underrates lumens), I'd say High/Turbo on Fenix is the same as High on Surefire L1?

Most people complain that the low level on Fenix is actually too bright.
You can also buy a L2T 2.0, which is simple on/off flashlight with two levels, you select them by turning the bezel.

So do you want a simple single or double output light, or a intelligent multi-mode light?

JackHays

Newly Enlightened
I also have an L2D rb100. So far, I actually like the UI -- as the saying goes, to each his own!

I always keep mine set for turbo, with the bezel all the way down. I figure if I need anything lower, then I will have time to loosen the bezel before I turn on the light, but if I need light quickly, I will need a lot of it. So I prefer to have it set for turbo. With a "memory" UI, I would have to always put the light in turbo mode before turning off the flashlight in order to achieve the same result - I couldn't just turn it off.

On the other hand, the "quick flash to high level" when going to low or medium IS annoying, and I do find SOS mode to be utterly useless (I can actually think of a few times when strobe might be nice to have). But these are not deal breakers for me. All things considered, I really like my L2D.

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
I kinda have to agree with the OP. Till now, I've stayed away from Fenix lights because of the multi-level (too many for me) options.

I just picked up an L1T V2.0 and it's almost perfect. Two levels, good tint, good beam, Low is low (but not too low) and high is enough for most situations, it's the perfect EDC for me.

I'd like to have a CR123 version of this same simple light (as discussed in this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177890 ) but it's not likely to happen.

I just can't see an everyday light where you have to click it or twist it multiple times to use it.

just my $.02

JackHays

Newly Enlightened
copierguy_mobile, you should be able to order just a P2D body and tailcap from Fenix-Store.com (Fenix Stock Bodies). It is supposed to work with the L1T/L2T v2.0 head. The switch assembly in the L1T v2.0 can be transferred to the P2D tailcap. Like what this poster has done: fenix p1dce or p2d rebel.

Of course, if you want to have both types of lights at the same time (L1T v2.0 heads, one 1AA, and the other 1x123), you would have to order another L1T v2.0 in order to do this...or else get an L2T v2.0.

But if you just want one light, you can make what you are looking for, and since you already have the "T" head you can do it cheaper than what a complete new flashlight would cost.

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no flash on mine, but it's a L1D...

Have you thought about the L2T v2 models? They are 2 level, activated by twist of head, so it will be on whatever you have the head set at. I believe the V2 also has a tactical clickie (forward and sticks out more) and a normal one too. (not totally sure on that)

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Fenix L2D CE, but I mainly keep it on turbo mode. If I need the lower modes, they're there. However, I greatly prefer the simple 2-level setup that my L1T Rebel has.

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
I use every level of my L2D(except sos) and love the UI it suits my needs almost perfectly. Like someone said each to their own.

moses

Enlightened
Love the UI too. Can do without the flash on low but not a big deal for me. Travelling for over 3 weeks with it and it's just been fantastic.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
:mecry: :mecry:

The UI is well defined on Fenix-Store. Low->Med->High->SOS and Turbo->Strobe

For me, the UI is perfect. I use it on low 95% of the time. If I need more light, I usually tap twice to go to High.

If I had to guess, 95% on low, 4% on High, and 1% on Turbo is what I've used the light over the last two months or so.

carrot

Flashaholic
Thankfully Fenix has answered our multimode grievances with the dual-stage L2T 2.0. Surely it is not quite as flexible as the L2D, but it is certainly an excellent alternative. The new Rebel LED in it aught to be quite an upgrade over the older Luxeon III's in the venerable L2T's.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
only thing I can say is:
anyone not liking the UI and wanting it the other way round, is not using the light often, possibly does not even need a light
;) (but we all need them, right?)
Why?
lets have a look at possible "need light"-scenarios:

tactical: quick instant high output, runtime does not count
--> any Fenix has this

"real" flashlight low-light use (reading, navigating): DIRECT low output
--> most Fenixes offer this (while low is still too bright!)

common/general flashlight use: less bright than turbo, more runtime
--> all the "D" models have this.
one or two additonal pushes needed, but this is not the often on/off use, its "on and have it like this" for some time.
If there were a remember setting, the next time used, dark adapted eyes get burnt again

the additional levels (one at least) to low and turbo are a must: to have a light that runs for some hours and offers useful output,
the low low - coming on in low! - is a must in the dark,
the tactical is a must for the tactical guys.
That way one single light fills all needs!

agreed: that flash has to be changed (also have just a L1D and there is none).

There are a bunch of lights in the same class and price range that offer the "wrong" UI, so why not just get one of them instead of ranting.
What really is worth a rant -, and thats not me, thats quite some ppl - is the too bright low and to offer a model running from an 18650. In the size of the Fenixes there is no such thing (production light, there are mods)

dinocol

Newly Enlightened
I love the UI of the fenix.. the important part is that i can turn it on at Low whenever iwant to.. i just hate the momentary flash it gives out.. blindingly bright especially when dar..

Gaffle

Enlightened
now the quest is on for a replacement, im thinking of an L1 ,any other suggestions for a double AA or single Cr123 ?

For 1AA you have 2 options (the 2 that I can think of on the fly).

1. You purchase a L1D body. Pow, easy enough. Other people have said the L1D has no level flash. Problem solved, and you still have the Rebel.

2. Buy a Jetbeam C-LE v2.0. 1AA and it has a memory UI. Price is pretty good too. I really like the look of the C-LE, and people say the build quality is quite tough.

Fenix keeps sounding really nice with their "lego" feature. Buying heads and bodies is very compelling for myself. You could have a whole plethora of lights with just a few parts. Put the stuff together depending on your day or where you are traveling.

EDIT : I had to check out the available bodies and heads on the Fenix Store site. They have the L1D/L2D/P2D head for sale. Bodies include P1/P2D/L1D/L2D. Click on the "Fenix Parts" section and you can purchase the P3D bodies.

Last edited: