ROV Sportsman Extreme 3W vs Minimag w/ TLE-5EX

CouchTater

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, while money is currently tight its time for a new LED light for dog walking. I have been reading up on the TLE-5EX upgrade since I thought I had an old 2xAA Minimag laying around, but it seems to have wandered off.

So I would need to buy a new body (I'd get a silver one, easier to find in the dark) along with the Terralux. So about $35 more or less. I read one of the threads about the ROV Sportsman Extreme 3W which I guess is a version of the Nuwai X3. I took a look at the ROV at Wally World, it looks OK. Sort of like a miniature Klingon lightsaber, stylewise.

So what I'm looking for is:
- floody beam (am willing to do a lens mod if needed)
- strong output with NiMHs
- decent full throttle run time
- lanyard connection on tail end (both check that box)
- rain resistant

I'll be carrying a SF 6P or equivalent if I need a thrower, so I just need a reliable, durable LED that will light my path.

Is the Terralux $10 better than the ROV in terms of total output? Is the ROV floody enough? Is the build quality of the ROV in the same ballpark as Mag?

thanx

CouchTater

Newly Enlightened
I haven't really looked at them, since I am not familiar with Ultrafire. One concern I have with those designs is the lanyard hole. I'm not a big fan of the current design trend where lanyards have a thin little section that goes through the device, it looks like the kind of thing I'm always breaking. Pissed me off when I mailordered a Transcend thumb drive, it has a microhole that I can't run a split ring thru.

Of those 3 lights, the C3 doesn't look bad. I don't have a use for the 1/2 cell bit.