*Special Edition Q5* Fenix Digital P1D CE

j3bnl

Enlightened
Thinking of buying a Special Edition Q5* Fenix Digital P1D CE.
Anyone out there know if AW's Protected R123A will fit and work in it?
Or any other rechargeable 123 for that matter.

Last edited:

Dobbler

Enlightened

They work in mine, bright as heck, but you lose the low and med modes.

txmatt

Enlightened
Don't know if the Q5 is different, but according to the graphs in the runtime thread, the "loss" of the P1DCE Medium on RCR123's is only on a fully chargerd battery. After 10-15 minutes, it settles down to the same output as CR123 primaries.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/144407

Because of the smaller current draw, I imagine it would take quite a while for the P1D CE with RCR123 on low to dim to the CR123 primary low level.

Joshatdot

Enlightened
I use Tenergy's RCR123A 3.0v 900mAh with my P1D CE Q5 and my DX 5435 & 5444 lights, all 5 modes work fine.

Zot

Enlightened

4sevens from the fenix store has this to say here:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?p=2073617#post2073617

Well I've got lots to say about those 3.0v rechargables... They just about
the worse thing you can get.

1) Firstly they are 3.2v or 3.3v underload. Sometimes up to 4.0V without load.
What does this mean? They are not true 3.0v replacement and they CAN
blow your 3.0v lithium applications - such as a camera. However it won't
blow in a Fenix light. However, depending on the Vf (forward voltage) of
your LED (varies from LED to LED), a low Vf will make you lose the low
level - it will be between low and medium. The drive level for low is about
20-30ma so the Vf for that current is very low, sometimes below 3.0v.

2) Those 3.0v cells are horrible in terms of efficiency. They use an LDO
regulator which essentially is a variable resistor. Actually in some cases
the LDO circuit puts out MORE HEAT than the LED. What a waste.
Just like a resistor, the extra V is eaten up in the form of heat and with a
resistor, ALL the energy is lost in heat versus the LED, puts out part light
and part heat.

3) The capacity of those 3.0v cells are typically even less - sometimes ONE
HALF of a rcr123 4.2v cell. (by the way 3.6v, 3.7v cells all start at 4.2v).
This is due to extra space needed for the circuitry.

I highly do not recommend them. Those of you have used them, I'm sure
you can report the abysmal runtimes. There is a reason I don't carry them
in my store :)

Rcr123a on the other hand will work ok intermittently. In fact you'll get
a longer regulated runtime on high/max than a primary. You shouldn't run
it continuously unless it's properly cooled (i.e. kept in your hand or on
a bike handle where wind is constantly flowing over it - general rule of
thumb is if it's too hot to keep in your hand, turn it off. And never leave
lights on in your pocket, even with primaries and at low levels. :) )

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I just got a P1D Q5 in the mail today. I have been comparing it to the P1-CEs that I currently have. I don't see the any difference in the light output from Primary-Max-Low on AWs RCR123 cells. That is fine as I don't care as much about the other light levels.

What does disturb me is I can't tell the difference between it and the P1-CE running the same battery but should be regulated to only 90 lumens. I honestly don't see the difference which I assume should be quite pronounced running the Q5 on max at a claimed 180 lumens. Any one else have any idea on this matter?

Is it possible that the single mode P1-CE @90 would look the same as the Q5 @180? I feel like such a newbie on this but I have quite a few nice lights to compare this to. I can easily see the difference between the turbo and high mode on my L2D-CEs which is quite a bit less than 90 lumens difference. Any reports of bad P1D Q5s out there? Is it the cells that I am running? My wife and I use them for headlights on our bikes so I have cycled the batteries at least 15-20 times and they all seem to perform within a few minutes of each other.

Help!

Rob

2benlightened

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post, although I've been reading along for quite a while.

I recently had the same experience with a new P1Dce Q5 I got at J2 in toronto. John is a great guy and immediately was willing to try me out with another. The post that 4sevens wrote about perceived light differences being logrithmic is definately worth keeping in mind, however, I should be able to see a difference from the 90 lumen setting and the 180 setting if I can see the difference on my p2d from 80 to 135, or on the P3D from 112 to 200... I am aware that the lens colours vary slightly on some of these lights, but I am sure nevertheless that the P2D CE I have is brighter than the new Q5. I'm pretty sure that I will find (i hope!) that you and I have buggy p1D's crewcabob, as almost no one else here on cpf has reported this. I am ordering a new Q5 p2d with my replacement P1d so I should be able to be sure they are putting out the same lumens when they compare... 1 cell each, same bulb...

If anyone else out there has found this, let us know? Even the 80 lumen to 90 lumen difference on my L1D is detectable (most of the time...), so, we aren't going crazy, right crewcabob?

Well, now to throw some doubt out there...

Because I HATE returns... (I run my own flooring and moulding business so I have first hand experience with frivolous returns), I decided to do a 7 minute heat test on setting 1 and setting 2... setting 2 became almost too hot to touch (I'd say close to 140), where setting 1 was maybe a warm 90 - 95. Hmmm.

Also tried different types of cells and still didn't notice a difference in lumens though.

The heat test seems to indicate that setting 2 IS using more power, but maybe it is just malfunctioning.

Ultimately, part of the enjoyment I get from the 7 fenixes I own is because of the ability to use different settings for different situations, so back goes the P1 in hopes it is the light, and not me.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being a [FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA][FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA]budget minded individual [/FONT][/FONT]i have modded my P1D CE with a Q5 WG and the brightness is not that noticeable,it is gonna be noticeable in light meter reading but not to human eye.But what i notice is the hotspot is definately more intense then the P4.But the colour is slightly like the Lux UX1K ( greenish tint )

Last edited:

2benlightened

Newly Enlightened
as regards the problem both crewcabob and I have reported with our p1d q5's, the cells I have tried are panasonic cr123A primaries, and energizer e2 primaries (lithium). Neither of these cells have caused any malfunctions on any of my other lights.

Hope someone else has an idea of what this could be. (setting 2 no brighter than setting 1)... both settings seem to be brighter for a split second before dimming... it's as if setting 2 just can't hold on to the 180 lumen setting.

2benlightened

Newly Enlightened
Got mine today!

Very, very nice light. It's visibly brighter than the original P1D CE, and marginally brighter than the Q2. I have no means to take beamshots or measure true lumens (etc.), but to my naked eyes the difference in brightness is definitely visible.

Fit and finish is typical Fenix quality. Tint is a bit warmer than my Q2, but definitely cooler than the Rebel P2D I own.

Overall, I am very pleased endquote]

so there we are crewcabob. It must just be our particular p1d's unless wallaceD's eyes are better than ours.

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
I knew I wasn't crazy... well at least my eyes aren't malfunctioning, the crazy part may still be there.

I got another one of my flash-friendly co-workers to come take a look at the light output. We both agree that we can see only a minor difference between primary and high; which we both believe we should see a more recognisable difference. We pulled out a couple of the L2D-CEs that I have in the car and at my desk and the modes are very pronounced and there seems to be no question that you can see the difference between high and turbo. I would think the same of the P1-CE running 90 and the P1D Q5 running 180.

benlightened, you are deffinatly describing the same issue. I appreciate you posting your findings as well. I love my Fenixs as well and have purchased at least 6 of them. I hope I can get this one sorted out.

Thanks for the help guys!

Rob

white light

Enlightened
I knew I wasn't crazy... well at least my eyes aren't malfunctioning, the crazy part may still be there.

I got another one of my flash-friendly co-workers to come take a look at the light output. We both agree that we can see only a minor difference between primary and high; which we both believe we should see a more recognisable difference. We pulled out a couple of the L2D-CEs that I have in the car and at my desk and the modes are very pronounced and there seems to be no question that you can see the difference between high and turbo. I would think the same of the P1-CE running 90 and the P1D Q5 running 180.

benlightened, you are deffinatly describing the same issue. I appreciate you posting your findings as well. I love my Fenixs as well and have purchased at least 6 of them. I hope I can get this one sorted out.

Thanks for the help guys!

Rob
Hey thier,just caught this thread.Its funny cause I had this same problem with the differences between settings on my P1D-CE.It turned out that it indeed was the batteries I was using.Buy using my standard SF123a's I had no problems.(the closer the battery cell was to 3v on the multimeter the better the light worked)Thier was a difference seen between settings finally.I just recently got my new P1D-Q5.Had the same problems with the same solution.Now my buddy got one also and thier is a differece in consistencies between the 2 Q5's.Mine seems to be in better calibration than his.Could this be a small problem in quality control?.In that please keep in mined that By far would I knock these lights at all,for the money they are very very well built.I now carry 2 on me at all times.They make a good alternitive to carrying; than my customs.If I happen to loose one on the job it can be replaced,but a custom,I'm still tring to get over my stolen Mr Bulk Chammie!!Hope this helps,Jesse

2benlightened

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to point out, though, that this doesn't seem to be a common thing... I've been watching the threads for two weeks and only one other person besides us has reported it. (somewhere there is a thread where someone else had the same problem and 4sevens had followed up with a graph of perceived brightness info.) Obviously our p1D's are just the 1% that had something wrong. Can't wait for my new one... I intend this to be by EDC and my keychain light as I have just recently been able to get rid of a lot of keys from my keyring... the difference between three less keys and having a P1D instead of LOC will be miniscule!