?? surefire g2 led..waterproof how much??

Reelturner

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm a newbie on this board as the majority of my time is spent on the saltwater fishing message forums.

I need to ask the ones who know the in/outs of flashlights about the Surefire g2 led. Here goes.

I drum fish at night at the Outer Banks of NC for red drum and most of the old salts that have been doing this kind of fishing use the 4 aa cell Pelican flashlights to shine up in the air at a 45 degree angle to check their lines when standing next to someone or fishing in a crowd. They then can see if their tangled with someone next to them and which way either over or under they have to go to untangle the lines making sure to keep the beam of light upward off of the water. If any of you aren't familar with drum fishing, lights beams swept across the surf will spook the drum and just about always turn the bite completely off and then leave them with an unpleasant attitude. I used last October a mini Maglite 2 AA cell to shine up and it just wasn't any help at all. I was told by a drum fisherman that the led wasn't any good either, but that was quite a while ago and since then Surefire has got the g2 led.

Yesterday I purchased the g2 led with lanyard, batteries and tried it out last night behind the house in the pitch dark and was satisfied with what I saw. Keep in mind that I have never had a Surefire either.

I wonder how waterproof the g2 led is as the Surefire's website lists it as "weather resistant." I don't plan on dunking it but surely it probably will be splashed occasionally. Dustin, the rep at Surefire said just make sure the O-rings are lubricated very well and tightened up. After checking the website out the only difference in the g2 led Nitrolan and the 6P led is the g2led has a lexan window, where the 6p has a glass Pyrex window. I read on Surefire's website that all of their flashlights rated or outdoor water sports has a Pyres window instead of the Lexan glass.

Do any of you know how waterproof or water resistant the g2 led is??

Or should I take the g2led back and get the 6P led instead??

Have any of you flashlight guro's ever splashed a g2led or g2 as they are the same basic light housing??

The other option I thought about is to go and get the g3 and I wonder why didn't Surefire make the g2 led with a Pyrex instead of a Lexan unless of course it was to keep the cost down.

Any help is appreciated a lot.

Sincerely,

Reelturner:drool::drool:

visualnewbie

Newly Enlightened
I love to fish... unfortunatly I haven't fished in awhile.

But, everytime I do, I do bring the SF G2 with me as my primary source of light. I usually fish off a pier and at times off the rocks here in San Diego. I used it a lot when I was going for lobsters. When going after these with nets, I tend to get wet and so does the G2 by pulling up the ropes. When I say wet, it's not like dunking it in water wet. But, hands wet then holding the light and dropping on the ground in a puddle type of wet. My only concern with the G2 is that it is plastic and it gets somewhat slippery when wet. Good thing you got the lanyard...

Reelturner

Newly Enlightened
After reading the threads about the incandesecants vs. LED lights, would I be better off using a g3 nitrolan or the g2 led?? I realize that the g3 would take the batteries more than the g2 led.

Someone chime in...has anyone subjected their g2/g2led or a g3 to wetness and if so. how much??

Reelturner

djblank87

Enlightened
After reading the threads about the incandesecants vs. LED lights, would I be better off using a g3 nitrolan or the g2 led?? I realize that the g3 would take the batteries more than the g2 led.

Someone chime in...has anyone subjected their g2/g2led or a g3 to wetness and if so. how much??

Reelturner

First :welcome:.

Ok, now there is an older thread that a member did here were they took the G2L and went on a hike with it towed beind them dragging on the ground.

Threw it in a lake and let it stay there for some time and then tested it. From what I recall some water did get into the light but it still ran after it was cleaned up dried off. But if my mind serves me correctly the light output after it was dried off was much less than when the test started.

Hopefully someone will post the link to that thread. I just did a google search and did not find it.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It should take the dunks with no problem, but I would not take it diving unless you have to. This test shows that the LED lit up even with water in the light.

Reelturner

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate all the advice you guys have given me on my new light. I don't or at least think I won't be hooked like the flasholics that are usually on here but say I have been thrilled reading about all the different adaptions and "up-grading" that can be done to flashlights. I know in the conventional casting reel area that a great many people have and continue to modify and tune/test their equipment all they can to get the utilmate performance out of it that they possibly can, so I shouldn't have been surprised to hear of it going on with flashlights also. One particular thing that has been done is to install magnets in fishing reels that were really not thought of being able to be magged to get the distance that the casters are wanting out of their reels especially during the distance casting competitions.

Ok, I want to ask about the batteries.

Can I get different 123's that are better or have a longer runtime than the red batteries that I bought in the beginning when I got my g2 led?

I keep hearing of something like 186550s' or something like that. Is that a different battery or manufacture of batteries than the Surefire??

Reelturner

djblank87

Enlightened
Ok, I want to ask about the batteries.

Can I get different 123's that are better or have a longer runtime than the red batteries that I bought in the beginning when I got my g2 led?

I keep hearing of something like 186550s' or something like that. Is that a different battery or manufacture of batteries than the Surefire??

Reelturner

Hey Reelturner,

18650's are just a different size battery. You will hear terms like Ultrafire 18650, AW's 18650 are considered the best, AW is a brand that is considered the best among the group here.

Here is a link to some 18650's : http://www.batteryspace.com/index.a...Category=739&gclid=CO_Nk8i3pY8CFRssawodLVNZSQ

The 18650 will not fit into a Surefire G2. As far as getting different kinds of batteries, you can run different kinds threw the G2L but beware there are some horror stories of batteries other than Surefire cells.

Also do not use RCR123's, RCR meaning they are rechargable becuase RCR's run at 3.6 to 4.2 volts. The G2L runs at 6.0 volts so I would just use Surefire cells or Duracell brand 123's.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
18650 is a kind of lithium ion rechargeable batteries. The numbers designate size. 18= 18mm in diameter, 65 = 65mm long, 0 = cylindrical. The are 3.7v but 4.2v off the charger. A 17670 should fit in a G2.