New Arc, LunaSol or New HDS??? Which Great Light Would You Choose???

Which Great Light Would You Choose???

• Total voters

jcompton

Enlightened
As we grow closer to the final release of three great offerings: The New Arc LS/V/5, The Ti LunaSol 27 and the HDS-120 from three Master Craftsmen here on CPF: Peter, Don and Henry, I was wondering which would be chosen if you could have only one! I know that this goes completely against the CPF spirit ("buy them all") but if you could only purchase one and in doing so you would be ineligible to purchase the remaining two, which would you choose???

Last edited:

Groundhog66

Banned
Not fair to make someone choose like that.....:shakehead

But for me, I would choose the LunaSol due to the fact that it is not like anything I had/have.

Tim

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc for me. I don't know enough about the HDS yet and the Arc has me completely fired up. It appears to be everything that I want from a PD-style light and then some.

I am sure that the HDS is going to completely captivate me as well.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't Wait for the LunaSol wave to hit! :drool:

Mayo

and yes it is cruel to have a flashaholic only choose ONE of these awesome tools!

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
as of right now, i'm leaning towards the HDS,

the more i read about "power regulation" the more i like it.
Henry mentioned achieving great efficiency at both the low and high ends of the spectrum.

i also love the HDS interface and the flat regulation at all power levels.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
That LunaSol looks like a real working tool! I suppose that throw beam is great, but I really REALLY like the combination with the nice flood!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunasol will be too difficult to obtain without sitting in front of CPF every afternoon (in my timezone at least) without bathroom breaks. That said I'd take one of them, as I've at least seen pictures of a working prototype. The Arc and HDS look great in type, but seeing an actual product is necessary before I buy. Once I see some pictures and reviews of the Arc-PD and the HDS I will have more of an opinion. I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of those 3.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm not that hot over the Arc or HDS. The HDS is the latest incarnation of the (HDS designed) Arc4+, a fancy computerized light. Been there, done that. The Arc maybe brings small production lights to a new level, combining the McLux PD two level pushbutton concept with electronic reliability (whether that's higher or lower than mechanical reliability is yet to be seen). But since I already have a -real- McLux PD, why settle for a production version that will apparently cost close to a custom light? The Lunasol is the only light of these three that really explores new territory, namely the selectable beam angle that goes with the selectable levels. Plus, it has no computer crap. The only remotely comparable light right now is the SF A2 which is much larger and whose high beam is incandescent (i.e. 3x less efficient). So I'd definitely be more interested in the Lunasol if I had the cash (it will probably cost at least 2x what the other two lights cost).

Really though, I don't know if I'm really likely to buy a Lunasol due to both the difficulty of catching a wave and because of the financial outlay. I've been a flashaholic for 4+ years and have 50+ lights but on my TWO LIGHTS in this class (Spy 005 Ti and McLux PD Ti Mule) plus "Godot" (the USL that I'm waiting for) I outspent all the rest put together. I actually feel pretty satisfied in my high end flashlight "holdings", I don't want to part with either of those two lights but I think I have the essential areas covered and I'll try to resist further purchases unless to celebrate a financial windfall or some other personal accomplishment.

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I can only wish!! Anyone know of any medical experiments/studies that would hire me as a test subject?! I'd sell blood, but the first & only time I donated blood - I passed out & THAT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN!!

We're talking about a guy who has hunted & fished all his life, received more shots in the military than I could even remember, been on crash investigation teams, etc...so it wasn't anything to do with needles or blood. I think it was blood pressure or something!? Oh well...I can always dream!! :ohgeez:

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS for me. Don't really need one though as I already have 3. Lunasol is too rich for my blood, I could buy 3 ML1's for the same money and the beam is just as good IMO. Never have been an ARC fan.

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm kind of 'Ho hum...' about the HDS. The Lunasol looks fantastic - especially with coloured 5mm leds in the outer ring, but I would suggest never being able to afford it with my situation.

So Arc's new LS for me!

Be lucky...

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Arc fan--least-wise I WAS. This one just not my idea of Arc but, that's not my call. I'll have to see one in the real before I'll even consider it. I've got a whole slew of Don's McLux III work in anno and Ti and I saw the Lunasol but, as Sigman, I may have to sell blood to get one. Not sure what HDS has in store---I've got three and a Novatac--I dunno John, heckuva question I guess.....:confused:

Karl

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firstly I'd like to say this is "The Worlds Worst Poll" :laughing:

What next............?

sex or beer?

health or happiness?

your mum or your dad?
:tinfoil::grin2::whistle:

OK - I went for the LunaSol. That said it's a bit too early to call on the HDS as the specs still seem a bit fluid so it could edge the McG out.

Th Arc looks like a winner also but I'll compromise this one out as its a hybrid of lights and functions I already have - still very cool.

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
As difficult as this question is, considering the master craftsmen involved, it ends ups being a win/win situation for all of us. Since it is probabably safe to say that quality will not be an issue, then individual preferences, price points, general features, (unique and of themselves), will in all probability play a major factor in our ultimate purchases.

For me, the unique feature of the LunaSol is very tempting at this time. This will of course be tempered with the price point. I would venture to say we all have our individual price points, self imposed or otherwise.

Best Regards:
Bob