How to fix flickering kai SSC light

NickBose

Enlightened
I just bought this 3AAA LED light from Kaidomain

633125796828750000.jpg

It's amazingly bright. The brightest among the lights I have, even brighter and throws better than the SSC MTE 1 AA light.

But the problem is after 2 days it became unusable due to flickering. The damn light only lit up when in vertical position - ie pointing to the ground or to the sky. It will turn off or flickering continuously when in horizontal position.

I have written to kai for a solution / replacement. But as I use this everynight, can someone tell me how to temporarily fix it?

I don't know where the problem is: the head contact, or the battery holder, or the tail cap.

:(

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try removing the tailcap and shorting the end of the battery carrier to the flashlight body with a wire. If it lights up and doesn't flicker, it's the tailcap. Otherwise I'd give a good scrubbing to all the contacts, including the ones in the holder. Some sanding of the battery tube ends might be necessary.

On a side note: you can run 3-AAA-holder flashlights with a 18500 LiIon cell instead after wrapping it in some bubblewrap or what have you. You'll get more battery life and no self-discharge.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could be the AAA carrier that is causing the problem.

I have had lights like this that had the same problem and it turned out to be the carrier.

Do you have any other type of batteries to test the light with?

Another problem could be the tail cap.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try removing the tailcap and shorting the end of the battery carrier to the flashlight body with a wire. If it lights up and doesn't flicker, it's the tailcap. Otherwise I'd give a good scrubbing to all the contacts, including the ones in the holder. Some sanding of the battery tube ends might be necessary.

On a side note: you can run 3-AAA-holder flashlights with a 18500 LiIon cell instead after wrapping it in some bubblewrap or what have you. You'll get more battery life and no self-discharge.

What he said.:twothumbs

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you using the batteries that came with it? Have you put in new batteries?

I got a light from Matt's place the other day and I thought it was dead, I'd press the button, it would flash for an instant and turn off and stay off, I'd shake it and it would flash on and off...

I put in new batteries and it works perfectly.