Rethinking my flashaholic priorities.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned a lot of lights and light related items in the last year. I have had two different E2e's, lambda illuminator, E1e, KL1x2, Inova X-5, many assorted led lights, Magcharger, Tigerlight, Surefire M-6, 6p, 9p ALL the lamps for same plus a SRTH and the lamps for it,several Arc AAA's, SLS, and I have made a choice, A choice to down size, a choice to USE my lights, A choice to be a little smarter and a little more sensible about what I own and carry. There will be more I am sure and I will fit my purchases to my needs, not wants.

I think that this will be my set up from now on unless something proves me otherwise.

Arc AAA 1 lumen
E1e with KL1 15 lumens
E2e with MNO2 25 lumens
A2 (on the way)3/60 lumen
Tigerlight estimated 200 lumen
Magcharger with 465 lumen bulb and 536 lumen bulb (W/A)
Vector 1 MCP spotlight.

With that i think my range of lighting needs is well covered and for the ones that will be used the most... They are in my pocket.

I sold the SF M6...reason? I never used it because I wouldn't carry it. Too big.

I sold the 9P with SRTH... Reason? still to big. I never used it.

I can carry a minimag in my pocket and it doesn't bother me. So I can carry the A2.

I am not trying to suppress my flashoholiism (sp) i am just trying to work smarter not harder!!!

I would love to here your feedback on this. I enjoy this board very much and feel priviledged to be a part of it and to be a moderator for you also...

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I am not QUITE to the point you are, I am getting there, and understand where you are coming from.

My Mr. Bulk LGI has become my every night walking the dog light, and My MR BULK NexNeedle is the high powered light that I carry with me.

I have my Optronics 2 mil CP light for when I really need it, I have my Clipmate and Aurora for headlamps and for mounting.

My ARC AAA is always on my keychain.

The Streamlight 3C is a great, long running light.

I have 5 Energizer ARC WHITE lights, that I use a mini lanterns, and a big Energizer Florscent lantern.

I am waiting for Stragetos or Streamlight to come out with some 9 volt light that blow away the M3, and then I think I will be set (for a while)

I am also waiting for my McLux and my Space Needle.

Of course, there will be lights that are introduced in the future, that will replace my current favorites.

What if/when Mr. Bulk introduces a light TWICE as bright as the Space Needle? Do I want it? YES!

So, I guess for me, I am getting comfortable with my tools. It's NOT that I don't want more, but I have tools that fit my needs, whereas 2 years ago, I did not.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't quite gotten started with my collection too seriously. Most of the reason is budgetary. I don't have a great deal of expendable income, so it's necessary for me to make smart purchaseds from the get-go.

I agree with most of your choices, but don't disagree with any of them either. Explanation below...

My thoughts:

Arc AAA -- love it. I have the UV model and a white (HA3-natural) on the way

E1e with KL1 -- I've never gone anywhere without mine so far. I just got an Arc LSL-P though, so I may re-think this. Your thoughts?

E2e with MN02 -- I keep the HOLA in my E2e. I don't have an A2 and at the moment, I don't have the use for the LOLA (this could change, however. I am seriously considering getting an E2O as an addition for this portion and keeping my E2e.

A2 -- I want, I want, I need, I need (maybe someone will be disappointed with theirs and sell it to me!?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tigerlight -- I haven't seen one yet. For me, it would really depend on the beam pattern at that intensity of light. I think I would want a medium beam though. This would be for illuminating stuff from more than 30 yards? I would be interested in checking out a tigerlight, but I'd have to find someone who would let me borrow one or something like that.

MagCharger -- I had one for many years. It was from 1988 or so and had replaced the battery once. I sold it on eBay about 3 months ago after getting my M2. It still kicked äss, but I was not happy with the beam. Too many dark spots and oddities in it. Would a 9AN be a viable replcement for this?

Vector 1 MCP spotlight -- Is this something to plug into the cig lighter outlet in the car? I have a Brinkmann Q-Beam with a red and blue filter that I've had since 1984. It was originally a 300kCP, but I've since replaced the LA with a 1MCP unit. Home Depot carries a really nifty handheld rechargable for around $15, but I don't remember the CP. They are quite reliable.

I have 2 minimags, but they are both converted with Dat2zip's MadMax LS's, one white, one Royal Blue. (BTW: the RB is just too cool) I find them bothersome to carry for their size/CP.

I would love to get a SF M6. I think I would keep it handy for quite a few different uses. Maybe that would change once I got one, but I think this is something I will have to determine for myself.

9P, 6P, G2, etc... for the size, I'll stick to my M2. I realize the 3-cell models are powerful, but they are all just too big around for carry. My M2 is a bedside emergency light and would be only used as a tactical illuminator.

Quality, not quantity. I think that's the key.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
I really like the idea of breaking down the lights into lumen output. I've been thinking in terms of battery type, which is a more artificial way of looking at things.

I think you could fit a multiple-LED or Lux light in there somewhere. To me, that's a very handy size for household type use.

The only other suggestion is something in the mix with a very long runtime, for emergency use. Quickbeam did a nice real world summary of his experiences with that during an ice storm. I have a 7LED Tek for that, and am thinking of building something that runs a bit longer.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, my mod'd minimags are exceptional for emergencies candle mode. The AA run time is great and when I can get a 40 pack of RedCells from CompUSA for $5, you can't beat it. The only problem I run into with the mod's is heat, but if I alternate between two lights, or fix up an aluminum foil heatsink wrap, I'm good-to-go.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm through with my 'Impulse' purchasing (well after my SL 3C 10Led arrives - Ebay) (and if I win my "Starlux" from Wayne - Ebay).

Through. I keep telling myself...

Arc or Ultra around neck EDC
Madmax on belt EDC
Stinger HP in truck
Dozens of other lights including UK4AA AS2, SL 2AA, Litewave 2100, Brinkman Rebel and LX, PT Attitude, 40 and Impact, half a dozen or more M*gs, several Rayovac lights etc.

Abe Furburger

Newly Enlightened
I am saving my money now for a KL4 (for my E2E) - If they turn out to be OK.

My EDC is an Arc AAA (Neck cord), Arc AAA Keychain, E2E-hola in pocket.
My ENC is mainly the Arc AAA (Neck cord) which I never take off.
But If I go out somewhere at night I will also take the E2E with me.
I have a G2 with a hola - Which really kicks ***...and I might even get a KLx (5W) to fit it when they come out (If they are OK).

Not bad I think for only 3 months worth of Flashmania...

Abe.

bigcozy

Enlightened
I got rid of a lot my lights/knives/guns and got down to just what I need. I have gotten rid of 4 6P's, 1 9P, 2 G2's, 2 Scorpions, 3 E1's and 2 E2e's. I keep getting them in trades and then swapping them off. The E1 doesn't put out enough light for me in comparison with the slightly larger E2, and the rest are too big for me to carry.

Arc AAA on leash with EDC Spyderco Co Pilot
Pelican L1 on leash for convertible interior
PT Pulsar on key chain with traser
CMG Ultra next to bed
PT Attitude in Night Ize sheath with multi tool/pen/lighter
SF E2 EDC for night on motorcycle rides

Only what I use, and all have glowsheet around them. Every week I use at least one of them.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Abe, do you shower with your Arc AAA? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

THAT would be a true Flashoholic.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i bathe with mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

and it sleeps on a peg less than a foot away from my head!

i only have what i need also...not even that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i edc:
arc aaa
surefire e2e
nightbuster 7x
brinkmann 3aa 1w mod
-1w 3d mag mod in my schoolbag (not always with me)

those are really the only lights that i can carry with me, but i will soon get more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif i use most of them fairly regularly, and i have other larger lights that i keep at home.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to add something on this thread.

I buy lights for the hobby of it. I will continue to do so.

The stupid, simple, slightly excrentric JOY of getting a new light in the mail, opening it up, turning it on, and knowing that most people in the world do not have access (for whatever reason) to a light of this calabre, is fun.

Getting a custom made, limited quantity light, gives an added joy, knowing that this custom made light, is superior to almost any commercial light, available at any price, is VERY Exciting.

AND, I have to add, that most custom made mod's have been sold by fellow CPF members, and they have consistently offered them at VERY REASONABLE prices.

As a hobby, this hobby is relatively inexpensive compared to other hobbies, and that is a nice benefit!

So, yes, I will continue to purchase new lights, that I probably do not need, for the fun and joy of it, knowing that IF and WHEN I DO need to use them, I will have some of the best lights in the world.

Abe Furburger

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Beretta1526 said:
Hey Abe, do you shower with your Arc AAA? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

THAT would be a true Flashoholic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it off - but it it still less than a metre away from me...So, am I or am I not a Flashmaniac !!!?

By the way - I added the term ENC - "Every Night Carry" as I think it is more logical to have two different criteria for lights, hence different kit possibly for day or night.

I also think I coined the name "flashmaniac" as flashaholic to me has something to do with it's alcaholic basis, and I am a non-drinker (for medical reasons).

Definition: To be addicted uncontrollably to flashlights makes one a "flashmaniac" ie one suffering from flashmania.

Best Regards,

Abe.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
flashamaniac would be a good term for us elite users /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bushman,

I think your collection has just about everything covered, BUT...

I'll get to the "but" in just a minute. I have for years carried the Leatherman Super Tool. I always seem to find a use for it. When it came to a flashlight, I always had to go look for one. This got me started on the hunt. I ended up purchasing an ARC LSH-P along with the 2 AA battery holder and a CO-75 holster from Filmtools. Now I have my Super Tool and ARC at hand all of the time. This is most convenient and I use both every day.

I bought a TigerLight, just because I've hand no experience with rechargables and it was a good price. It is turning out to be a great light around the house and in the truck.

OK, now for the "but"...

Your collection is very practical. I have added a lot of lights just because of their creativity, and some of them have turned out to be very useful as well. I am interested in the craftsmanship in the Blaster II and the BB400. I am having fun playing with the ExternaLight. The list goes on, special optics of the PALight and the PT Impact, the Pelican L1, the flood light effect of the Super6, and the more focused TriLight.

I think your collection should include some room for the inovative creations that surface. You have the A2, but I think you need to add some cute, WOW factor lights to round out your collection.

Oh well - that's my $0.02.

Tom