Fenix and Novatac

wakemare

Newly Enlightened
well, ive finally gotten to the stage where im gonna buy myself a new light, i had this bitter tang in my heart recently cos i realised im such a flashaholic but i only have a gladius, a G2 in coyote tan and a 6P. i wanted so many lights, but this week im buying the following, tell me what u actually think of these lights, tell me if anyone likes them:

Fenix P2D Rebel Cree
Fenix L2T Rebel Cree
Novatac 120P
Dereelight DBS

i just think these lights r probably gonna cure the lust i have for lights, i want an M6 Surefire too but u know. also i would like eventually to have a Wiseled Tactical with 1500 Lumens. lol after i have these lights i think my flashaholism will be cured... although there are plenty of other things i want, like a glotoob and a whole bunch of Amlite lights too... but tell me what u think of the above listed lights... if u have had any experience and stuff... any comments will be appreciated... thanks guys... a lot of ...s

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
M6 eh? If I were to start again as a flashaholic, I think I would have skipped a lot of lights and bought the M6 sooner than I did. Not to say I wouldn't have bought them eventually, but it was always the M6 I wanted, and at several points I realised that, with the amount I have spent on other lights, I could have bought it.

So, out of the 4 lights you list, I would have to suggest the secret 5th option: the M6 :thumbsup:

Otherwise, I only have experience with the Novatac out of the lights you list. I've been reasonably pleased with it - the functions are impressive and the UI is one of the better ones I have seen for this style (multi mode) of light. Plus, it's built like a tank.

Regards,
Tempest

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I have some of the lights you are thinking about, 120P & several Fenix. From a pure flashaholic/fun/neat factor the 120P wins hands down. Unfortunatly, it is also the most expensive, in fact I think you may be able to get both Fenix lights for the cost of the Novatac. That is were it becomes hard to make a choice.

The UI and flexibility really add flashaholic points to the output and beam quality of the 120P though. I look at the Novatac as a light that will have long standing ( if not legendary ) flashaholic status ( much like the earlier HDSs do ). The Fenix lights on the other hand are just great lights but not ground breaking.

Tough choice but I would go with the 120P, if you can afford it to fill your high power LED ( CREE in this case ) desire. I am waiting for the next generation of LEDs ( maybe 6-12 months ) before I look at too many more lights. Anohter way of looking at it, since the Fenix lights are much cheaper - it will be easier to justify them down the road as 'small' purchases.

wakemare

Newly Enlightened
man, for the last 9 months or so ive been without one single purchase, i have been waiting for the perfect time to buy the 120P because i was so so desperate to get an HDS Ultimate 60 GT but it was too late, as soon as i found out how awesome they were they were collectors items and vastly more expensive than i first envisaged. but yeah im definately gonna get 2 fenix lights eventually, but yeah i think i will go for the 120P now, im gonna put some money in my paypal account and buy one from lighthound next week. im so so desperate for a new light, ive been living with the Gladius as the best of my collection for over a year, and how many sweet lights have come out since! im behind the times man... behind the times.

definately getting an M6 in the next few months though and maybe in another year or so ill get the Wiseled Tactical, how killer is that light man, so awesome...

djblank87

Enlightened
wakemare:
I just recently "in the past four days" bought two NovaTac's and they are great. Built tuff as hell, small and you can run RCR's threw them.

Plus the white, warm tint to the beam is something some of my other lights must envy. The color is the whitest I have ever seen from a LED light.

I got the 120T for work and the 120P for everything else. I'm running AW's threw them both. You love it, a great choice for any flashaholic.

:bow: NovaTac!

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you will really like the 120P. I have both the 120P and the P2D Q2. I EDC the 120P hardly using the P2D once I received the 120P. The P2D is a nice light, just not quite as good as the 120P(IMO). The DBS is a throw light. It would compliment the 120P very nicely.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
All four are completely different lights meant for different tasks.

The P2D is meant to be a well priced and relatively well built EDC type light.

The L2T V2.0 is meant to be simple and still brigthe while running on 2 AA batteries. There was never a Cree version. There is only a Rebel 80 version.

The Novatac 120P is an overbuilt tanks that is meant to work in many extreme conditions. It might no be the brighteset but that is not what it was built for.

The Dereelight DBS is meant to be a well built throw monster that is easy to upgrade.

Which light you buy all depends on what you are going to use the light for or which you want the most.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy wakemare, and thanks for the chuckle,
Yes, these lights will cure your flashaholism, BUT.... you'd still like an M6 and bunch of Amilites and.............. lol.

Ok, seriously, here's what I would do. Get the NovaTac 120P. That light has come the closest to curing my flashaholism.

Then, instead of the 3 other lights, take that money and save it. First of all, the 120P will make you so happy that you won't need anything for a while..... and then just keep your eyes open on the CPF Marketplace, and sooner or later you will see a good deal on an M6 that you can't pass up, and you will have the money for it..... and then......you will be cured. :)

gunga

Flashaholic
Yep, the 120P actually changed my flashaholism a lot.

I'm tempted to get more $100+ lights now!

:crackup:

Actually, it has made me more picky too as I'm less likely to jump on every new $30-60 light.

Just wish it came in 1 AA. Then I would stop completely!

wakemare

Newly Enlightened
no doubt i just cant wait to get it hey, the 120P has been the love of my flashaholic life for a long time, i really jut cant wait to get one so i can feel like my addiction is validated. lol, yeah i just love the locator flash and the fully programmable nature of the output settings. love it. but yeah an m6 eventually will be nuts

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
no doubt i just cant wait to get it hey, the 120P has been the love of my flashaholic life for a long time, i really jut cant wait to get one so i can feel like my addiction is validated. lol, yeah i just love the locator flash and the fully programmable nature of the output settings. love it. but yeah an m6 eventually will be nuts
After you order the 120P, be sure and download the manual from the NovaTac website:

http://www.novatac.com/downloads.html

Besides giving you something to do while waiting for your light, it will give you a chance to become acquainted with how you access all the different functions and options. It can seem a bit overwhelming at first, but just read it all the way through, and try to get a general understanding of how things work..... then when you actually get the light in your hands it will begin to make more sense.

What's nice, is that this is one light that is actually worthy of all the hype that has surrounded it's release. Of course, it's not perfect, but it's pretty close! Enjoy!

djblank87

Enlightened
What's nice, is that this is one light that is actually worthy of all the hype that has surrounded it's release. Of course, it's not perfect, but it's pretty close! Enjoy!

That Derek Dean is a very true statement, it is really worth the money. You get what you pay for with the NovaTac's. :thumbsup:

pilou

Enlightened
How are the Novatac plastic lenses holding up? Are the scratch resistant or as prone to scratches as say a mag lens?

jrv

Newly Enlightened
How are the Novatac plastic lenses holding up? Are the scratch resistant or as prone to scratches as say a mag lens?
Mine has lived daily in a pocket full of metal things (keys, pocket knife) and hasn't scratched. There is a "lip" to the bezel and the lens is somewhat within that, not exposed.

I have seen only a single report of a scratched lens. The owner didn't really seem to know how he did it.