There is no one perfect light--what do we use our lights for?

rlhess

Enlightened
I've been thinking what I'm looking for and why I've been infected with the flashaholic disease. The reason that, like microphones, camera lenses, and most other things, there is no perfect flashlight. Each and every one is a compromise. Cost is a major factor.

Why do I need a flashlight for:

EDC (before I joined this forum I didn't even know what that meant). I've been carrying a Photon-1 like light (a trade show give-away that looks a lot like a Photon-1 but has no manufacturer markings other than the giver) for over a year. It's come in handy, but it's not all that friendly to use. I wouldn't leave home without it.

EDC-now. I am really fond of the Inova X5. Now there is some useful light and it's great for looking for things on the floor, in cabinets, etc., and it's certainly bright enough to help you down the fire stairs in your 10-story office building should the lights go out. Heck even the Photon-1 like light is good for that in a pinch.

Part of my work involves touring television facilities that are under construction. I've used a minimag for that for a long time, but it's VERY marginal. For this, the Lambda Illuminator will be very useful. It fits in my normal carry pouch (for cell phone, reading/computer glasses, etc) and is close to edc but not in my pocket.

Further for this type of work--building construction inspection--I've ordered the Brinkmann LX. I really need something much brighter than any of the above for looking in large spaces. I think from what I've seen, I'll like it.

----

Then at home there are different needs: We have 2C lights for the boys with Tech.***. LED lamps. They like them and they stopped chewing up batteries. We have miscellaneous incandescent 2C or 2D flashlights in every room. We have several spare 2D flashlights stashed for power failure and a couple of 4C and 5D el cheapo flashlights scattered around.

For power failure we have several D-based lanterns--one recent $2 one from Radio Shack even has a 4.7 ohm resistor in series with the lamp in one switch position so it gives dim light for a long time. We also have a 6D fluorescent lantern.

Next to my bed (we live in earthquake country), I have a 6D mag light. This can be used as a hammer and pry-bar. I also have a Ledtronics MiniFlash Led for looking at the kids when they wake up, and a PT Aurora for reading in bed. I also have a Tech.***. lamp in a generic 2D flashlight for long-term lighting should I need that.

In my car, I have a 5D Mag light. My wife only has a 2D heavy duty plastic light. I also have some sort of spotlight with a cigarette lighter plug that I frankly almost never use. It's probably 100,000+ CP I've had it forever. I think I got it at Radio Shack about 1980 or so.

Hopefully the LX will be good for reading house numbers in a rental car. The 5D is usually adequate for that in my car. My wife rarely drives after dark.

So, there are lots of lights--the more the merrier, as we don't like being in the dark.

I've found, in general, the LED ones are my favorite all-purpose illuminators. The Lambda and the Inova work for almost everything close up. I've even used them with a microscope--much nicer than incandescent! You see real colors.

I suspect that my most used lights will be:
PT Aurora,
Inova X5
Lambda Illuminator
Brinkmann LX

The first three will be a tie, and I suspect I'll use the LX less once the novelty wears off. I can go months w/o using either the 6D or 5D mag light.

I use alkalines as my usage is intermittent and I wouldn't want to deal with self-discharge of rechargeables. (obviously two of the above-mentioned lights use 123 lithiums--the Inova and the LX)

Oh yes, speaking of rechargeables, we have about ten power-fail lights scattered throughout the house. Our first line of defense--and the burglar/fire alarm system sends an "all on" command to the X10 system.

Cheers,

Richard