LumaHunter MRV Vs Tiablo A8

DanielG

Enlightened
I'm looking for a 1X18650 light. I like bright as all get out. I like throw. I like a little spill but not 160 degree silly bright (wall of light?) spill.

So far, the LumaHunter is winning in my mind. I would probably want both reflectors, smooth and OP, so there's about a $2.00 difference.

Both Cree Q5 emitters, both ~250 lumens

LumaHunter takes 18650, CR123, RCR123. No "run 3 minutes on low if you're using CR123"

Tiablo has great reviews here, though, and it's only barely leaning towards the LumaHunter.

Get them both. Yeah, I know. I will, but which FIRST?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Dereelight DBS with the Q5 module seems to be the new throw king. It should out throw both lights(the Q4 module has been measured at 30,000+ lux on a fresh 18650 battery).

Then make a Asperic Maglite mod to out throw the DBS.

Delta

Enlightened
Wasn't there a thread here with a lot of pics (not wall pics either) detailing comparisons between the Tiablo and the MRV? Might want to try and search that one out.

PayBack

Enlightened
The Dereelight DBS with the Q5 module seems to be the new throw king. It should out throw both lights(the Q4 module has been measured at 30,000+ lux on a fresh 18650 battery).

Then make a Asperic Maglite mod to out throw the DBS.

If the no "3 minutes on low" is an issue for the A8 he'll like the "no A123's at all" even less. It's what made me just order an A8. If the DBS could also take A123's I'd have bought that for sure :(

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DBS looks like a great light. I do not know that I buy 30,000lux on a 18650 when its manufacture did not make that claim, but it is Bright.

I picked the Tiablo A8Q5 over the MRV for one reason.

1. The A8 is not dimmer on a 18650 than on 2 123a's or RCR123a's. My M1-R is dimmer on the 18650 and while the difference is not great, it is noticeable. So, I am always in a dilemma which to use.

It looks like the A8 is slightly brighter than the MRV and the DBS MAY be slightly brighter than a A8Q5. All three of these lights have great throw for a led, but the DBS and A8's great regulation with the 18650 made the difference for me.

DanielG

Enlightened
Wasn't there a thread here with a lot of pics (not wall pics either) detailing comparisons between the Tiablo and the MRV? Might want to try and search that one out.

There's a few about the 1X18650 lights. There's one with five of them compared as well. I'm always up for hearing someone's news about a specific type who got the light after those threads were written or who didn't participate in those threads.

Plus I'm thinking out loud, reading's one thing but seeing what I'm thinking written down generally cements my decision or gives me something to say wait a minute about the idea.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the no "3 minutes on low" is an issue for the A8 he'll like the "no A123's at all" even less. It's what made me just order an A8. If the DBS could also take A123's I'd have bought that for sure :(
With the DBS you can use RCR123's, CR123's, 18650 with the 2 stage module. With the Tiablo A9 you can also use RCR123's, CR123's, 18650. The thing is the lights (or modules) that give you all 3 choices(wide input range 3.6-10v) don't tend to have flat regulation using an 18650(decreasing output). It really depends on what battery(s) you will be using.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You could buy both modules form Dereelight. Use the 2 stage module when you want to use 2 batteries and the 3 stage(1 18650) one when you need the most throw. Wight the Dereelights, when newer LEDs come, you just have to buy a new LED module instead of a whole new light.

DanielG

Enlightened

I'm good with the 1X18650 only. i wouldn't mind that at all. I'm working towards all rechargeable batteries but want to lean towards the 3.6/3.7/4.2V (yes, I know they're the same) as a basis.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't comment on the DBS, yet. However, check out my "Got Throw" link for beamshots of the Tiablo and MRV.

DanielG

Enlightened
I can't comment on the DBS, yet. However, check out my "Got Throw" link for beamshots of the Tiablo and MRV.

Been there, read that. That's one of the threads that got me down to these two. :D

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea how these lights compare to a TL-3. From what i remember the TL-3 has a higher lumen rating, though obviously far lower efficiency.

Yes I know the TL-3 is 3 cells, but buying new batteries will be probably be cheaper than buying a new light!

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea how these lights compare to a TL-3. From what i remember the TL-3 has a higher lumen rating, though obviously far lower efficiency.

Yes I know the TL-3 is 3 cells, but buying new batteries will be probably be cheaper than buying a new light!

Personally I love the TL-3, but it doesn't throw as far as the Tiablo or MRV. Check it out in my Got Throw link.

Also, you can run the TL-3 on two 17500's.

Last edited:

ca pow

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2nd generation MVR and a Tiablo A8Q5, I love them both, but I bought the Tiablo to use specificly with the 18650, which the A8Q5's regulator was designed for; 250 lumens at two hours without dimming is very impressive.

PayBack

Enlightened
With the DBS you can use RCR123's, CR123's, 18650 with the 2 stage module. With the Tiablo A9 you can also use RCR123's, CR123's, 18650. The thing is the lights (or modules) that give you all 3 choices(wide input range 3.6-10v) don't tend to have flat regulation using an 18650(decreasing output). It really depends on what battery(s) you will be using.

True but the 2 stage is nowhere as bright? That would mean carrying another module which doesn't appeal at all, especially as it wouldn't fit in my battery case and wouldn't throw anywhere near as well, and throw being the purpose of the light.

Anyway it's personal preference. I'd rather run my light on low for a couple of minutes than have to carry and swap out modules. I went for the A8 over A9 due to prefering flat runtimes when I use 18650's.

Last edited:

bspofford

Enlightened
I have both lights and just got a 3-stage Q4 DBS last week. I would agree with earlier comments that the DBS is a better light.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
True but the 2 stage is nowhere as bright? That would mean carrying another module which doesn't appeal at all, especially as it wouldn't fit in my battery case and wouldn't throw anywhere near as well, and throw being the purpose of the light.

Anyway it's personal preference. I'd rather run my light on low for a couple of minutes than have to carry and swap out modules. I went for the A8 over A9 due to prefering flat runtimes when I use 18650's.
This week a Q5 2 stage module will be available for the DBS(and CL1H).