I bit the Apple...

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got fed up with my latest windoze notebook (an Acer), so I broke down, bit the Apple, and bought a MacBook. And I regretted NOTHING. That thing is just awesome -- cool and shiny.

Originally I planned to dual-boot Windows, but since our local University computer store does not stock XP anymore (campus license, $10 for a legal copy), only Vista, I have postponed that. And after my first few days in Mac OS X, I don't think I ever will do it. Pfff, jog-on, Bill.

Which got me wondering: How many Mac users do we have around here?

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Acer notebooks don't have a very good reputation...
You are right about Vista - I am not going to install it now, better wait for the service pack and better support from hardware/software.
I don't have any problems with my Windows XP, it has been running for a year now without any problems (btw. Service Pack 3 will be coming out).

nobody

Newly Enlightened
Good choice. You will not regret going Mac. I've been using both since 86 and if I had a choice I'd never have to use ANYTHING by MS again. Ever.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 Mac.
Well, actually more like +5 or so not including iDevices, but that's beside the point. I've totally bitten the Apple.

If you JUST bought the laptop (meaning, on or after Oct 1) then you're entitled to a free upgrade to the next major OS revision that's coming out later this week. Sorta free. You gotta pay for the CD + S&H + tax so it comes to about 10 bucks.

You can sign up for it here

Happy Mac'ing! :)

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
binky, it's already ordered :).

Trashman, there were no specific problems... My frustration of little things not working properly grew to a point where I couldn't take it anymore. Things that this machine (and other Windozes I worked with) had always done, and I thought I could live with it. Things like the machine not remembering configurations of secondary displays, conflicts between mice and trackpad (that ended up using the trackpad only as a last resort), Windows not acknowledging which program should be fore- or background, background programs (like download managers) hogging all the resources and internet bandwidth etc.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apple fan here! I love Apple computers. And I have to work with and use Windows PC's extensively. I'm also not a computer idiot or anything. I probably know more than most. OS 9 I wasn't so crazy about. But OS X? I love it, love it, love it. There are so many things I like about Apple computers.

Right now all I have is a G4 desktop, but sometime in the next year or so I will be buying a MacBook Pro, I think.

DM51

Flashaholic
My 2nd daughter (22) has an Apple. She is pretty clued up on computers and says she will never go back to Windows.

I just upgraded to Win XP last week, from 2000. Vista is still a hopeless mess, and they are unlikely to have it fixed for some time yet.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mac is my choice for simply getting work done and has been since about 1986. No, it's not always trouble-free, but overall everything just makes more sense to me for getting work done. I do keep an XP machine at home and work for when there is no choice, though. I am not into the options and "under the hood" that Win owners seem to insist is superior.
If people ask me what to get, I will not insist they go Mac - but won't offer to figure out their friggin' Win virus/security/registry/plug-n-pray problems either!

analogguy

Enlightened
Switched to the Mac platform 2 years ago (Powerbook), but I miss the spyware, viruses, and hijackings. Oh yeah, that is why I switched in the first place.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Work provides PCs but I've always bought Macs for home. Macs have always been smooth and solid for me.

Some of my PC friends and family have been bemoaning how the PCs reliability has gone downhill since IBM stopped making their own Thinkpads and MS went to Vista - but I have no firsthand experience on any of that.

seattlite

Enlightened
I used to be a Mac guy, but made the switch to PC's back in '97. Main reason....GAMING! Does an 8800 Ultra fit in a Mac?

I recently upgraded to Vista on my gaming PC so that I can play DX10 games. Works fine for everything I need to do. I like it better than XP Pro. I haven't had any issues other than some drivers aren't compatible with Vista.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got fed up with my latest windoze notebook (an Acer), so I broke down, bit the Apple, and bought a MacBook. And I regretted NOTHING. That thing is just awesome -- cool and shiny.

Originally I planned to dual-boot Windows, but since our local University computer store does not stock XP anymore (campus license, $10 for a legal copy), only Vista, I have postponed that. And after my first few days in Mac OS X, I don't think I ever will do it. Pfff, jog-on, Bill.

Which got me wondering: How many Mac users do we have around here?

From my site stats, it's about 5% of mac users overall globe.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
count me in. I have a single XP/Vista machine still in the house because I develop for these things for a living and occasionally there is still work developing for windows... But mostly it's the mac now and I'm perfectly happy with that :)