Compare SF G2 LED and Fenix P3D Prem. Q5

Trojan1

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. Just got the SF above, like it well. I understand it's around 80 lumens, perhaps up to 12 hours run time. I wanted a second light of this size, and got to looking at the Fenix above - that looks pretty darned good too for my application (car, hunting backpack, general use). Anyone have thoughts comparing these two lights?

Second question: It appears that Fenix has a similar flashlight (L2D Q5) that takes AA batts - what are the pros and cons of AA v. CR123A with these two lights (the L2D and the P3D)?

Thanks for your thoughts. Trojan

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
The difference is brightness and runtime. Your 123A lights will be better performers and shorter, but just tad fatter. You would appreciate the P3D lots more I believe. The natural finish is better on a Fenix if that option is avalible. The Fenix isn't going to be as rugged as a SF but it will hold up well. Get your cells for $1 a pop at batterystation and never mix new and used!
Welcome to CPF and a drained bank acount!
The CPF motto is buy both!

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2led will be 80 lumans for about 5 minutes and then drop down to about 60 lumans for about 5 hours and then be less than 10 lumans for 5 hours or so. Im sorry, I think SF has gone the way some of the bad Chinese manufactures with claims for this light. 11 hours of runtime....BS. My Inova X5 has over a hundred hours of runtime if you count "light until you are totally in the dark" Sorry, but I expected more honest #'s from SF and better output.

So basicly, you can have the same light the G2L puts out with the P3D plus a high mode and a low mode when you choose them. Surefire makes some great lights...The G2L may be one in some respects, but I would look at the real #s before buying one.

I do not think there is anything wrong with the light, just the way it is marketed.
Just my .02

Moderators: I hope I did not do anything wrong by copying this chart...If so, please remove it or let me know and I will just put a link to it instead.

From Chevrofreak's review in the reviews section:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176621

icon1.gif
Surefire P60L (6PL and G2L) runtimes
SureFire%20P60L.png

Last edited:

Gaffle

Enlightened
Off subject, but it almost makes me think that the American manufacturers do not know what to do with the new LEDs.

Trojan1

Newly Enlightened
The difference is brightness and runtime. Your 123A lights will be better performers and shorter, but just tad fatter. You would appreciate the P3D lots more I believe. The natural finish is better on a Fenix if that option is avalible. The Fenix isn't going to be as rugged as a SF but it will hold up well. Get your cells for $1 a pop at batterystation and never mix new and used!
Welcome to CPF and a drained bank acount!
The CPF motto is buy both!

I'm afraid I took your advice - I'll have both. Ordered the natural on the Fenix. If I like it as well or better than the Surefire, they'll both be winners. Thanks for your thoughts!

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off subject, but it almost makes me think that the American manufacturers do not know what to do with the new LEDs.

I dunno. It looks like SureFire knew exactly what to do when they made the E2L. Trojan1, good call. Both lights are different enough in design and purpose that you will find a use for both.