Surefire L1 question

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the high/low current switching in the tail switch or is it in the bezel where the actual LED circuitry is at?

The reason i ask is because i had a crazy idea for your modders out there. If the high/low feature is part of the tail switch itself, then couldn't the head of an Arc LS be compatibale with that switching? I would love to have an LSH-P head on that L1 body! It fulfills everybody's wishes for a pocket clip and dimmer switch!

Sure it may be expensive. (L1=$100 LSH-P=145) But judging how most of us spend our money, i don't think that would be too much of a problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is both.

I know, it blows my mind too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Anarchocap

Enlightened
Its both a function of the circuits in the head and the tail switch itself.

FWIW, I have seen an ARC LSH-P with a two stage light function. I saw it back in December, and if I remember correctly, it did have a Kroll or Kroll-like switch. Whether Peter is going to produce them is something I can't answer.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
THank you FC and Unanimous!

So if the funtion is in the head too, then i don't think the LS circuitry would be compatible...well..it was worth a shot.

UnanimousConsent,

I saw the schematics of the dimmer switch prototype in the Arc forum, did you see it in person? I really think Peter, at this moment is working on a dimmer switch. He said, in a current thread, that he is working on something, but he can't tell us what it is. I'm assuming it's a dimmer switch. I really don't think there are any other ways to improve on the ARC LS right now, especially the LSH-P, other than cosmetic changes. SO i'm guessing he's starting to add some bells and whistles.

Thanks again for the answer to the L1 question.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
Yes I did see it in the flesh and working a couple of months back. I know that it was a custom job and they still had to work out the production aspect. At that point in time it wasn't another variable they wanted in the soup.

If you pressed in the switch half way, it was a low power beam, pressing it in all the way locked it in the on position under full power.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
UnanimousConsent said:
Its both a function of the circuits in the head and the tail switch itself.

FWIW, I have seen an ARC LSH-P with a two stage light function. I saw it back in December, and if I remember correctly, it did have a Kroll or Kroll-like switch. Whether Peter is going to produce them is something I can't answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about this?
I don't believe the LSH-P was available in December...even in prototype form.
Could have been a hybrid w/ high dome inside...but I don't think there was ever a Kroll switch that had that feature you're talking about...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anarchocap

Enlightened
It could have been after the first of the year, but are you telling me that ARC wouldn't have access to their own products and prototypes before being released to the public?!

It could have been an LS2 or an LSH-P, but it really doesn't matter. It was Henry's custom light, therefore not production. It was one of a kind, and it had a Kroll or a Kroll-like switch.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr Ted Bear is right, and furthermore, the circuitry is between the battery and the head. The switch is a two stage design. Slight depression closes the circuit through a 10ohm (approximately) resistor. Full depression closes the circuit fully. I don't know why Surefire is claiming "digital" regulation. The only digital thing in there is an HC04 hex inverter. I guess technically they can call that digital since the HC04 is a logic IC. The main workhorse of the L1 is analog in nature, using a shottky rectifier, FET, inductor and capacitor--a classic switcher design. Sigh... If I put a logic gate on an analog circuit, I guess it gives me carte blanche to call it "digital". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
UnanimousConsent said:
It could have been after the first of the year, but are you telling me that ARC wouldn't have access to their own products and prototypes before being released to the public?!

It could have been an LS2 or an LSH-P, but it really doesn't matter. It was Henry's custom light, therefore not production. It was one of a kind, and it had a Kroll or a Kroll-like switch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, if it's Henry's custom job, I know what you're talking about...

Of course I don't think ARC doesn't have access to prototypes, etc. That would be silly now, wouldn't it?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif