So I loaned out my Surefire L1 Cree…

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had dinner with the folks on Saturday to see them before their two-week trip to Angkor Wat and Vietnam (my mother is Vietnamese). Last Christmas I gave her a Surefire 6P, and she brought it to Vietnam with her once before. But of course, left it in the hotel room during their trip through some dark caves in one of the Halong Bay islands.

So we're standing in the living room and my folks are packing. The only lights my dad has are what I've given him over the past two years (since becoming and avowed flashaholic), and they're usually large lights, such as the nickel-plated 4x 18650 Mag mod I bought from Fivemega. A bit large for a limited space place like a suitcase. I reflexively reach into my pocket and grab the L1, my EDC du jour, and offer it up.

Too late the feeling of trepidation hits me hahaha.

So we'll see if I get it back.

Incidentally, JUST when I joined CPF, I went to Vietnam with my folks. My only "real" light at the time was a Surefire E2E, but before leaving for vacation I picked up a Surefire M4. That thing was a boomer in the Cu Chi Tunnels! (aka The sweatiest 300 meter walk/crawl of your entire life.)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Don't know what to say. Something about learning curve. Just around my house my wife has lost two of my good lights. Amazing! Some people are just not responsible enough and respectful of other people's property, even family. One of my daughters I would give her any light and expect it back, and it would come back in one piece, not lost or broken. Must say that that daughter is sort of a flashaholic, not certified but close. My advise, pass your good lights only to people who will respect them and take care of them.

Bill

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I keep making these mistakes with my girlfriend. She will happiliy take my 2D ROP off me, leaving me with the clunky 6D. Soon building a second 2D though. Between the P1D-CE, and the P1D-CE Q5, at least I get to use the higher-output one.

Spin

Enlightened
I "never" loan any of my good lights to "anybody." I have a stock of cheapies for that situation. If your good light is stolen, lost, dropped, dented etc; that's your fault, not the borrower!

Last edited:

bouncer

Enlightened
just tell them what the light costs. Most non flashaholics will just hand you back your light because they have no idea what quality is they will feel responsible. Give someone a five dollar cheapie they think no big deal hand them a hundred dollar light they will return it.I was in Florida they other day I used my light my brother noticed how bright my L4 was we were chatting and he called in the dogs one didn't come in he borrowed the light to find him and couldn't believe the light when I told him what one cost it was handed right back to me .

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...... well, I have a slightly different take on this situation. I'll just say 'good for you'! Gee, when I think of all the ©%ap I gave my parents when I was growing up, the least I can do is get them a few good lights now and then.

Hey, if my folks were going on a trip out of the country, I'd want them to have the best light available, one that I knew would not let them down, and I think your unselfish act of parting with your EDC du jour is quite commendable and in the finest tradition of flashaholic sons and daughters everywhere. Bravo!

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really have this problem.
My friends can't quite understand why I EDC a flashlight, my mom isn't terribly interested either and my girlfriend is happy with the supercheap photon clones.
Not that I'd have many lights to give out, since I'm not a certified flashaholic myself...
I guarantee, however, that if I had someone else's Surefire I'd keep it as if it was a part of my body.
I'm not particularly fond of Surefires as I find them way overpriced, but they are valuable things that shouldn't be forgotten in hotel rooms.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Fallingwater, yeah you are a certified flashaholic. Says so under your user name, flashaholic*.

I respect my parents too (one left), and in fact did give my mom a collectable early Elecktrolumens one watt led light, and she still has it. She respects others property. One of my other daughter made off with one of my small early made Fenex AA lights, and she still has it. That is amazing for her. My point is I will not give my good quality flashlights out to people, family or not, who do not respect the property of others, in this case, my property. It is called a "learning curve".

Bill

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I let my dad use my Raw NS when we were at a public jacuzzi a few weeks ago, he ended up dropping it on the concrete. :mad: I wasn't too bummed about it, however the lil flashlight ended up with a dented bezel. My dad later asked me how much my flashlight was...haha he near flipped out that I handed him one of my "expensive toys". I think the whole stating-the-price is a double edged sword, ppl respect your property, but give you that "what the hell are you doing spending 3 figures on flashlights?" I usually respond by stating that I haven't got the collect-surplus-guns bug......

...YET!!!:devil:

Mayo

Mercaptan

Enlightened
I usually respond by stating that I haven't got the collect-surplus-guns bug......

...YET!!!:devil:

Mayo

Yeah, that surplus gun thing is certainly an addiction. I've tried to seek treatment over the last five years for milsurpitis, but alas, I haven't found anything like buying more to fan the flames...

L4fanatic

Newly Enlightened
Hey Scott.cr I went back to Vietnam 2 years ago and brought a surefire l4 and an L5 with me and they got use alot!!! my relatives overthere loved using the lights. Going out at night with no streetlight in certain area of Vietnam without a flashlight is one I dont want to experience.

scottaw

Enlightened
I'm gonna +1 on giving family mambers the best light i can when they leave th country. How would you feel if they really needed one and didn't have it, half a world away?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If my kids were to go overseas (adult kids) on a trip, I would give them an easy to use Maglight Led AA that uses batteries they can get anywhere. Would not give out my expensive complicated, rechargeable, or CR123 lights. Maybe give them two of them so they can replace a lost, misplaced or stolen one.

Bill

paulr

Flashaholic
I gave my mom an Arc LS a while back and she didn't like it because the Kroll clickie was too hard to push. So I swapped it for a $8 Princeton Tec Blast (2aaa incan twistie) which she liked a lot better :shrug:.

batman

Enlightened
I just bought an old style L1 to give to my father in law in Vietnam. I think the Arc AAA would have been better though,..quality CR123A cells are expensive and hard to find when you leave the consumerism capital of the world.
Walking down a dark street in Vietnam would draw a lot attention to yourself with some wizzbang flashlight in your hand, unless you are a policeman of course.

boosterboy

Enlightened
eh, i plan to roam Saigon with an E2L and a Novatac.

and bring my l600 along too for night hikes, don't wanna get mugged

Kestrel

Flashaholic
A good Surefire Loan story:

I only caught the SF bug a year ago, but 6 months ago my wife was leaving for a 6-month deployment in Afghanistan (Civil Engineer with the US Army Corps of Engineers). I EDC a SF L1 and asked her to EDC our SF L2. She did find it useful, but after 3 months or so, suddenly discovered that it had mysteriously left her pocket. A few days after that, she had the opportunity to buy it back in a shop for $6! I suppose a person could take the high road and make a fuss, but $6 was a good investment for getting back our L2!. J

Anyway, my first reply, although I've been enjoying the forums, thanks folks.

Brozneo

Enlightened
I'm always worried about using my lights, so I don't really let anyone borrow them - especially when they are my high priced lights!

Siskik

Newly Enlightened
A good Surefire Loan story:

I only caught the SF bug a year ago, but 6 months ago my wife was leaving for a 6-month deployment in Afghanistan (Civil Engineer with the US Army Corps of Engineers). I EDC a SF L1 and asked her to EDC our SF L2. She did find it useful, but after 3 months or so, suddenly discovered that it had mysteriously left her pocket. A few days after that, she had the opportunity to buy it back in a shop for $6! I suppose a person could take the high road and make a fuss, but $6 was a good investment for getting back our L2!. J

Anyway, my first reply, although I've been enjoying the forums, thanks folks.

Welcome.
Only $6 to get your L2 back? They must not have tried the light out.